Reload this Page >

Looking to start a new life

Looking to start a new life

Old Jun 21st 2013, 9:09 pm
Just Joined

jordan427 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Looking to start a new life

Hi all,

I'm not quite sure whether this post will have its desired effect or not but we shall see!

I am a 29 year old guy from North West UK and I'm looking at moving away and starting afresh.

I don't have any qualifications to speak of other than GCSEs, and whilst currently I'm in fulltime employment I don't have a job title with all the bells and whistles which packs a punch! This isn't because of a lack of intelligence, far from it, it's simply because I've never known what I wanted to do.

So what am I good at?
IT related things. I've been taking PCs apart (and putting them back together I might add!) since I was 13. I was horrified at the fact I had to send the PC back to get fixed, and since that moment I've managed to resolve every problem I've had, whilst teaching myself and gaining knowledge on a whole range of other IT related areas.

I've worked as an IT engineer before, building PCs, fixing them, that kind of stuff, I've done a fair amount of travelling, some volunteer work in Costa Rica, and other jobs through the years.

I've been in my current job for 5 years now and really the best way I could describe it is simply Office Administration (whilst doing a lot of the IT fixing!).

What am I looking for?
I would really consider anything, anywhere in this big old World of ours, although I am probably best suited to something IT related. I love learning and would welcome a 'trainee' or 'junior' role.

Like I said I'm not sure if anything will come of this post, but I really would welcome any offers!

Thank you for reading!

Regards,

Jordan
Old Jun 24th 2013, 9:27 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking to start a new life

Originally Posted by jordan427
Hi all,

I'm not quite sure whether this post will have its desired effect or not but we shall see!

I am a 29 year old guy from North West UK and I'm looking at moving away and starting afresh.

I don't have any qualifications to speak of other than GCSEs, and whilst currently I'm in fulltime employment I don't have a job title with all the bells and whistles which packs a punch! This isn't because of a lack of intelligence, far from it, it's simply because I've never known what I wanted to do.

So what am I good at?
IT related things. I've been taking PCs apart (and putting them back together I might add!) since I was 13. I was horrified at the fact I had to send the PC back to get fixed, and since that moment I've managed to resolve every problem I've had, whilst teaching myself and gaining knowledge on a whole range of other IT related areas.

I've worked as an IT engineer before, building PCs, fixing them, that kind of stuff, I've done a fair amount of travelling, some volunteer work in Costa Rica, and other jobs through the years.

I've been in my current job for 5 years now and really the best way I could describe it is simply Office Administration (whilst doing a lot of the IT fixing!).

What am I looking for?
I would really consider anything, anywhere in this big old World of ours, although I am probably best suited to something IT related. I love learning and would welcome a 'trainee' or 'junior' role.

Like I said I'm not sure if anything will come of this post, but I really would welcome any offers!

Thank you for reading!

Regards,

Jordan
Your problem would seem to be that for gettin any sort of work visa in the English speaking countries, yoou do need paper qualifications, often at degree level of within a specific work. You may qualify for WHV (working holiday visa) for Australia as you are under 30. I would post this request on the specific country forums under the immigration headings, you are likely to get a lot more response from there.
Old Jun 24th 2013, 4:08 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your comment Mike (and your PM too)!

I know it's much preferred to have qualifications in your field, but I do have some work experience in IT and a lot of knowledge and willingness to learn. I appreciate that these aren't always useful and that employers do want degrees etc.

Yes English speaking countries would be my preferred choice: USA, Canada & Australia are the big three I suppose. I would be willing to move to other places too, the Far East for example - Singapore and HK to name two.

I've already been to Australia on a WHV and I'm not entitled to a 2nd year unfortunately.

I'd like to add that I'm not just limiting myself to IT work, although it probably is what I'm best suited at I do have interests in the Oil & Gas industry and stock brokering!

Regards,

Jordan
Old Mar 10th 2014, 6:04 pm
Just Joined

I'm still looking....if there's anyone out there....with anything!

Thanks
Old Mar 10th 2014, 9:59 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

It seems not.

FWIW, my personal opinion.

If you want to travel , do that via WHV or BUNAC.

If you are looking to emigrate permanently somehwere, then you will need to really have something a country wants. For IT it is usually degree level. That is a qualification that another country can take the measure of against their own standards.

Having written the above, permanent IT work can be hard to come by in some countries these days.

You may have to target a country and then look to what that country needs by way of employees. Then train in your home country for that , before applying.
Old Mar 12th 2014, 12:05 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jordan427
I'm still looking....if there's anyone out there....with anything!

Thanks
If you were 29 when you first posted this thread in 2013, you're presumably going to be too old now for a Canadian WHV, which is a real shame as that would have got you a couple of years there and probably led to Permanent Residency if you'd wanted to stay. Any particular reason why you didn't just do that?

You say you are interested in the US/Canada/Oz - no idea about Oz, but I'd forget the US if you don't have a degree (or unless you work towards a transfer with a multi-national company once you have a lot more experience). The US is notoriously tough to qualify for a visa for.

For Canada you'd really need to get out there and job hunt in person, it's going to be difficult without a degree but not impossible I'd say - although it would have been much, much easier with a WHV! Have a good read of the Job Hunting section of the Canadian Wiki to understand why you need to job hunt in person ideally.

Best of luck.