British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Jobs Wanted (https://britishexpats.com/forum/jobs-wanted-137/)
-   -   Looking for building work accomadation in France (https://britishexpats.com/forum/jobs-wanted-137/looking-building-work-accomadation-france-876169/)

Tomjack77 Apr 19th 2016 5:09 pm

Looking for building work accomadation in France

Looking for building work in France,preferably any sort and in mid to south France.skilled in plumbing and groundworks,accomadation a plus.
Many thanks Tom.

Chatter Static Apr 19th 2016 5:12 pm

Re: Looking for building work accomadation in France

Originally Posted by Tomjack77 (Post 11926898)
Looking for building work in France,preferably any sort and in mid to south France.skilled in plumbing and groundworks,accomadation a plus.
Many thanks Tom.

Welcome to the Forum, are you skilled in French Building methods as they do vary somewhat from the UK.

dmu Apr 19th 2016 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by Tomjack77 (Post 11926898)
Many thanks Tom.

Hi, and welcome to the forum!
How's your French?
As C-S says, be aware that French standards are different from the UK and a French builder wouldn't employ you without proof that you're qualified in accordance with French norms. If you intend to be self-employed, you'd need to set up a business structure (see Read-Me: Moving to France FAQs above) and be registered with the relevant Authorities in order to be professionally insured and be able to sign off your work.
As for accommodation, you'd need an official domicile, with written proof (rental receipt, utility bill, ...) for all Administrations encountered, whether you're salaried or self-employed.
You need to research into what's involved when seeking work in France, and you've come to the right place to start! All the best!:)

south_bound Apr 20th 2016 6:19 am

Or you could just find someone who has a building project on the go and go live with them for a while in return for free accomodation, which I took to be the thrust of the original question. I need to build myself a garage and when I'm ready I'll invite a friend to come stay for a few weeks and we'll do it together. It won't be for a while yet as I haven't even applied for planning.

dmu Apr 20th 2016 7:20 am

Originally Posted by south_bound (Post 11927367)
Or you could just find someone who has a building project on the go and go live with them for a while in return for free accomodation, which I took to be the thrust of the original question. I need to build myself a garage and when I'm ready I'll invite a friend to come stay for a few weeks and we'll do it together. It won't be for a while yet as I haven't even applied for planning.

I wondered about that, in which case the OP should post in the Jobs Wanted section, not in the discussion forum, and even now a Mod might transfer it.
I agree that family and friends can be invited to stay and help out with a small building project, but a total stranger living in and working on the black would be a different matter.... Also the newcomer would have to have several Plan B's lined up for when the job's finished and he's homeless.
If he hasn't got family to provide for, then the OP could come over to an expat-populated area, and see how the land lies.

loy loy Apr 20th 2016 11:10 am

there was a man around these parts who used to do jobs for people in exchange for food and board. No money so not working on the black.
He did quite well, word of mouth and moved from place to place.

Jerseygirl Apr 20th 2016 11:37 am

re: Looking for building work accomadation in France

Welcome to BE.

As you cannot use the general forums to advertise for work I have moved your thread over to our Jobs Wanted forum. General questions such as areas to live, cost of living etc should be posted in the French forum.

France - British Expats

Good luck.

dmu Apr 20th 2016 3:26 pm

Post again on the France forum, asking general questions about work prospects in your profession. When you've posted 3 times, you can send and receive private messages.
When I said "on the black", I meant with regard to the French Health Insurance and Tax people, who don't approve of bartering. There's a lot of denouncing going on (often by professionals who are being deprived of work) and the URSSAF in particular (the Organisation that collects the S.S. contributions) is doing more and more spot-checks.
Fore-warned is fore-armed!