Reload this Page >

Good money abroad??

Good money abroad??

Old Jun 19th 2016, 6:54 pm
Just Joined

Jdownes89 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Good money abroad??

Hey people!

I'm looking to get work that pays well... I'm a qualified plumber in the UK and good experience in the construction industry from domestic builds to working on a construction site building a power station.

Even though I'm a qualified plumber it doesn't mean that I won't do something else, providing the money is there.

I'm 27 in August and it's time I start saving for a mortage for a house. I have no ties keeping me here so I'm looking to earn good money!

Any info appeciated thanks!!
Old Jun 19th 2016, 10:39 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Good money abroad??

Hi there and welcome to British Expats.

My husband is a UK time served master plumber and gasfitter . Also an New Zealand master plumber and gasfitter. Been in the trade 40 odd years.

I don't know where in the world pays 'good money' to be honest. New Zealand pays a trade rate for an NZ registered plumber of maybe around $28 NZD.

I know you say you want 'good money' but are you also looking to experience life in another country for a while?

When you write you want to save for a deposit on a house , which I think is ace , do you mean in the UK or in a new chosen country.

What NVQ/C&G level do you hold.

edit....

Ah! I see you have asked this question before.

TBH you are not going to earn big bucks in most countries . You will likely earn a living wage.
Old Jun 20th 2016, 3:07 pm
Just Joined

Jdownes89 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BEVS
Hi there and welcome to British Expats.

My husband is a UK time served master plumber and gasfitter . Also an New Zealand master plumber and gasfitter. Been in the trade 40 odd years.

I don't know where in the world pays 'good money' to be honest. New Zealand pays a trade rate for an NZ registered plumber of maybe around $28 NZD.

I know you say you want 'good money' but are you also looking to experience life in another country for a while?

When you write you want to save for a deposit on a house , which I think is ace , do you mean in the UK or in a new chosen country.

What NVQ/C&G level do you hold.

edit....

Ah! I see you have asked this question before.

TBH you are not going to earn big bucks in most countries . You will likely earn a living wage.
Thanks for the reply.

Like I said it doesn't have to be plumbing, as long as I can earn decent money for a couple of years (maybe more) I'll be happy.

I've heard the mining industry in Austrailia pays well which interests me.

I'll be saving for a house in the UK unless I meet someone then things change but currently my home town is where I plan to live.
Old Jun 20th 2016, 11:27 pm
`

I think you may find that there has been a downturn in the Oz mining industry. You should ask about this in the Oz forum.

Even then , there would be the issue of a visa.
Old Jun 21st 2016, 4:24 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jdownes89
Like I said it doesn't have to be plumbing, as long as I can earn decent money for a couple of years (maybe more) I'll be happy.

I've heard the mining industry in Austrailia pays well which interests me.
Trouble is, you wouldn't get a job in something you've not got any experience in! Particularly if it's in a country that requires sponsorship to get a visa, no company is going to pay thousands and wait months for somebody that has no experience in the role they're recruiting for.

As I mentioned on your previous thread, any move abroad is going to cost thousands by the time you've done visa, flights, bought a car, deposits for accommodation etc - I just don't see that it's worth it if you are just looking to save money, and would have thought staying in the UK would be a better way to do that. Most people spend lots on moving abroad, and you'd then have to spend the same to go back, so I can't see how it would be worth it in the long run?

Could you retrain for something more lucrative in the UK perhaps? If money is the end game? Or even look to use your skills in a higher paying industry - oil and gas, perhaps on the rigs? No idea if that's feasible, but they seem to pay very well for having you stuck on a rig in the middle of the ocean so could be worth looking in to perhaps?

Best of luck.
Old Jun 22nd 2016, 1:09 am
`

I like the idea of the rigs.
Old Jun 27th 2016, 9:50 am
BE Enthusiast

MartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Trouble is, you wouldn't get a job in something you've not got any experience in! Particularly if it's in a country that requires sponsorship to get a visa, no company is going to pay thousands and wait months for somebody that has no experience in the role they're recruiting for.

As I mentioned on your previous thread, any move abroad is going to cost thousands by the time you've done visa, flights, bought a car, deposits for accommodation etc - I just don't see that it's worth it if you are just looking to save money, and would have thought staying in the UK would be a better way to do that. Most people spend lots on moving abroad, and you'd then have to spend the same to go back, so I can't see how it would be worth it in the long run?

Could you retrain for something more lucrative in the UK perhaps? If money is the end game? Or even look to use your skills in a higher paying industry - oil and gas, perhaps on the rigs? No idea if that's feasible, but they seem to pay very well for having you stuck on a rig in the middle of the ocean so could be worth looking in to perhaps?

Best of luck.
That's even more true if there's no shortage of local applicants ready to start work immediately. You need qualifications/skills and experience that are in demand to make it worthwhile for an employer to jump through the hoops for you.

The days of working abroad to seek your fortune, or just because you fancy spending a few years as an expat to experience life in another country (or whatever) have just about gone, unless you have something to put on the table to attract employers or you can swing a company transfer.

Marrying a local, or being in a long term partnership, is still an option for some countries but I don't think that's what the OP is looking for!