Reload this Page >

Civil Engineer needs help finding work in Sydney

Civil Engineer needs help finding work in Sydney

Old Feb 5th 2010, 1:09 am
Just Joined

rottenralph is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Civil Engineer needs help finding work in Sydney

Hi everybody,
As the title says, i'm a civil engineer. I moved to Sydney from Ireland, found a place to live and settling in nicely. All thats missing is what i moved here for... Employment!!!
I've applied for lots of jobs online without success or feedback. I've been in to meet with a Hays representitive, again, nothing.
I've decided to try applying directly to companies. I have no local knowledge therefore I have no idea how to find what companies to apply to, ie. big/medium/decent sized engineering companies.
Can you please post names up here, even one name is a help!
Thanks
Old Feb 5th 2010, 1:24 am
BE Enthusiast

plantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Civil Engineer needs help finding work in Sydney

Originally Posted by rottenralph
Hi everybody,
As the title says, i'm a civil engineer. I moved to Sydney from Ireland, found a place to live and settling in nicely. All thats missing is what i moved here for... Employment!!!
I've applied for lots of jobs online without success or feedback. I've been in to meet with a Hays representitive, again, nothing.
I've decided to try applying directly to companies. I have no local knowledge therefore I have no idea how to find what companies to apply to, ie. big/medium/decent sized engineering companies.
Can you please post names up here, even one name is a help!
Thanks
Baulderstone, Leightons are two..
Old Feb 5th 2010, 1:31 am
Forum Regular

Graham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to all

Hi mate, I work for SMEC (Snowy mountains engineering company) one of the largest engineering consultancies in Australia.

I work in Canberra so dont know a great deal about the Sydney office but we are constantly on the look out for Engineers both Civil and structural....So much so that I get a spotters fee for finding you!

You can check us out at http://www.smec.com and/or alternatively send me your CV and I can submit it for you, then if you get taken on I get my bonus

Also it might not be somewhere you saw yourself when you migrated here but you would probably be spoilt for choice for work in Canberra mate and its only 3 hours away from Syd.

Other companies I would look out for (though Im not sure if they have offices in Sydney) are:

Browns
GhD
Cardino

Good luck mate

Last edited by Graham and Maria; Feb 5th 2010 at 1:33 am.
Old Feb 5th 2010, 1:41 am
Forum Regular

JAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to all

tonnes of jobs here in WA aswell , just on the verge of a second boom too.

Perth is the land of milk and honey!!!!

(oh i'm a project engineer myself)

Good luck
Old Feb 5th 2010, 1:52 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAMMIE DODGER
tonnes of jobs here in WA aswell , just on the verge of a second boom too.

Perth is the land of milk and honey!!!!

(oh i'm a project engineer myself)

Good luck
You're gonna get blasted for being positive about Perth dude!

It's not allowed on BE.
Old Feb 5th 2010, 2:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Deutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to behold

Have a look at www.careerone.com.au you can research the names of companies there.

Cornell Wagner do a lot of engineering stuff - although I think they're based in Newcastle just north of you.
Old Feb 5th 2010, 2:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Deutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to behold

I've noticed that Aussies love their professional societies - they are far more social than the ones in the UK. Have a look at joining one for civil engineers to network.
Old Feb 5th 2010, 2:19 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by plantpot
Baulderstone, Leightons are two..
Although I could never recommend Leightons to anyone.
Old Feb 5th 2010, 2:28 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
You're gonna get blasted for being positive about Perth dude!

It's not allowed on BE.
I'd put the OP in touch with my civil engineer BIL, but he and his family are overseas on their annual northern hemisphere skiing trip. He'd probably be able to rent you one of his half dozen or so properties in blue-chip suburbs. Lots of milk, honey and cash for engineers in Perth.
Old Feb 5th 2010, 2:36 am
BE Enthusiast

plantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Dreamy
Although I could never recommend Leightons to anyone.
Just as well I don't work for them then....can you expand as I have a friend going with them soon...
Old Feb 8th 2010, 4:54 am
Just Joined

rottenralph is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Civil Engineer needs help finding work in Sydney

Thanks for your help, a few applications sent off.
Fingers crossed!!!