British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Japan (https://britishexpats.com/forum/japan-172/)
-   -   Seeking advice about re-entry into Japan. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/japan-172/seeking-advice-about-re-entry-into-japan-118893/)

bambino216 Nov 24th 2002 10:05 pm

Seeking advice about re-entry into Japan.

Hello,

Innocent boy that I am, I'm hoping that some kind person can set my mind at rest over a (possibly) minor/major immigration issue. I'm a British national, teaching English in Japan, holding a 3-year working visa.

I returned to the UK last week for a vacation, but 48 hours after arriving back home, I realised that I had lost my passport (multiple re-entry visa affixed). A new passport is on its way, but I'm wondering how I should present my case to the authorities when I arrive at Tokyo Narita on December 3- I'll be carrying a virgin passport and I really really don't want them to give me a 6 month tourist visa.

I have with me my Alien Registration Card, which carries the number of my lost passport, which I am assuming could then be used to confirm the existence of a multiple re-entry visa in relation to my name/identity.

Perhaps I'm creating a mountain out of a molehill, but I just don't know. I've never lost my passport before!

I would appreciate any advice that could be put my way.

Thanks,

Mark :)

NC Penguin Nov 27th 2002 3:22 am

Re: Seeking advice about re-entry into Japan.

Originally posted by bambino216
Hello,

Innocent boy that I am, I'm hoping that some kind person can set my mind at rest over a (possibly) minor/major immigration issue. I'm a British national, teaching English in Japan, holding a 3-year working visa.

I returned to the UK last week for a vacation, but 48 hours after arriving back home, I realised that I had lost my passport (multiple re-entry visa affixed). A new passport is on its way, but I'm wondering how I should present my case to the authorities when I arrive at Tokyo Narita on December 3- I'll be carrying a virgin passport and I really really don't want them to give me a 6 month tourist visa.

I have with me my Alien Registration Card, which carries the number of my lost passport, which I am assuming could then be used to confirm the existence of a multiple re-entry visa in relation to my name/identity.

Perhaps I'm creating a mountain out of a molehill, but I just don't know. I've never lost my passport before!

I would appreciate any advice that could be put my way.

Thanks,

Mark :)

-----------------------------------------
I would suggest you contact the Japanese Embassy in London. Explain your situation and that you have a replacement passport now.

Some Embassy staff should be able to assist you so you're prepared when you attempt to re-enter Japan.

NC Penguin

anzen12 Nov 28th 2002 3:04 am

I would suggest you contact the Japanese Embassy in London. Explain your situation and that you have a replacement passport now.
I agree, I once flew into Kansai with a passport that had a minor visa error. The Japanese are wonderfully friendly people but they follow the rules, with almost no exception. I was lucky and they sorted out the problem at the airport, but I was told in no uncertain terms to make sure I had everything correct the next time.