japanese power

Old Jul 8th 2011, 6:54 pm
tyr
Just Joined

tyr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default japanese power

I'm moving to Japan soon and I hear their electrics are weird and mess with your stuff.
Does anyone know of what I should be looking for in some sort of power adapter so I can safely use by UK stuff over there?
Old Jul 11th 2011, 4:57 am
Just Joined

tokyobrit is just really nicetokyobrit is just really nicetokyobrit is just really nicetokyobrit is just really nicetokyobrit is just really nicetokyobrit is just really nicetokyobrit is just really nicetokyobrit is just really nice
Default Re: japanese power

The electricity supply in Japan is 100 volts at 50Hz (east Japan) or 60Hz (west Japan).

The majority of portable electronics products today cope with a supply voltage of between 100 volts and 240 volts. Check the power brick, it should be printed on there.

You might need to flick a switch to 100 (or 110volts) but most just cope with whatever they are provided.

Common exceptions are devices with heaters or motors, such as hair dryers.

Large electronics products are probably better off bought here. TVs must be bought here as the broadcasting standard is not used elsewhere.

The plugs are similar to US-style twin flat pin, but there is no polarity. Any UK-US plug adapter (not transformer) will enable your multi-voltage equipment to work here. If your gear only accepts 240 volts, you'll need a transformer or a Japanese power supply/Japanese version of the product.

Hope that helps.
Old Jul 11th 2011, 6:53 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tokyobrit
The electricity supply in Japan is 100 volts at 50Hz (east Japan) or 60Hz (west Japan).

The majority of portable electronics products today cope with a supply voltage of between 100 volts and 240 volts. Check the power brick, it should be printed on there.

You might need to flick a switch to 100 (or 110volts) but most just cope with whatever they are provided.

Large electronics products are probably better off bought here. TVs must be bought here as the broadcasting standard is not used elsewhere.

The plugs are similar to US-style twin flat pin, but there is no polarity. Any UK-US plug adapter (not transformer) will enable your multi-voltage equipment to work here. If your gear only accepts 240 volts, you'll need a transformer or a Japanese power supply/Japanese version of the product.

Hope that helps.
Hi, this is of interest to me as my daughter, living in Germany, is going to Kyoto to study next year and I'm hoping to go visiting! You say the plugs are twin flat pin, so she'd need an adapter for French/German round pins (principally for her mobile recharger). I imagine she'd have to buy it on arrival, I couldn't even find adapters for UK sockets where we live in France!
Old Jul 12th 2011, 7:54 pm
tyr
Just Joined

tyr is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tokyobrit

Hope that helps.
What sort of thing should I be looking into on these transformers?
Old Jul 13th 2011, 10:59 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tyr
What sort of thing should I be looking into on these transformers?
Really, if you're actually moving there rather than staying for a few months or so, forget taking big electric / electronic stuff. Computers and most other electronics will probably run off virtually anything (check the brick), but its difficult to imagine what else you might want to take.

When I moved back to UK from Japan (complete with Japanese wife and our kids), we did bring some Japanese electrical stuff back (induction heater for the nabe, bum-washer toilet seat), but we ended up buying pretty hefty transformers for them, each costing a 100 quid or thereabouts. The only reason we brought those two items back was coz they weren't available in UK at the time.