British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Japan (https://britishexpats.com/forum/japan-172/)
-   -   Is Japan Really a the Different World? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/japan-172/japan-really-different-world-351951/)

DSC_AU Jan 31st 2006 9:08 am

Is Japan Really a the Different World?

I have heard all about what Japan truly is. Most sources say that Japan is some kind of a complete different world - as if it is a different reality than other asian countries

Can anyone confirm or give experiences about Asia in general? I want to learn more about what you think.

Chong58 Feb 2nd 2006 2:05 pm

Re: Is Japan Really a the Different World?

I've had 3 trips to JP very busy and expensive city is Tokyo while I found the smell of foods while walking, VERY terrible :eek:
Let me add that somebody like it but very few and rare.

Originally Posted by DSC_AU
I have heard all about what Japan truly is. Most sources say that Japan is some kind of a complete different world - as if it is a different reality than other asian countries

Can anyone confirm or give experiences about Asia in general? I want to learn more about what you think.

paddythepilot Feb 10th 2006 7:21 am

Originally Posted by DSC_AU

I live in Hong Kong, (17 years now), wife is Japanese - I travel to Japan every now and then.

Japan is truely a wonderful country, technically very advanced of course, with some fantastic countryside & nice people.

Comparing Japan with the rest of Asia is quite difficult, Japan is different from China as UK is different from Spain, (for example).

I take it you are considering spending some time in Japan then?

Good idea - but start your language training ASAP.

Regards & let me know if I can offer more info.

sunnydays Feb 11th 2006 7:44 pm

[QUOTE=DSC_AU]I have heard all about what Japan truly is. Most sources say that Japan is some kind of a complete different world - as if it is a different reality than other asian countries

I only went to Japan the once but it left a lasting impression on me. Went to Kyoto because the Lonely planet book said all the better things about it and stayed in a lovely quaint guest house within walking distance from the town centre.
The ordinary habits and living standards of the local people are amazing and to experience the slippers and bathroom culture is unforgetable. Despite being very different from the ordinary Japanese I was never stared at in fact quite the opposite and it soon becomes apparent that the Japanese are very happy and content with their own world. The shop assistants bow to you as you enter with a smile and greeting as do the railway staff as you go towards your train. The Taxis are immaculate with white seat covers and smartly dressed drivers with peak hats. Inumerous machines for dispensing different varieties of drinks including world teas. I chose a small cafe for Breakfast and amongst my grill was a large chunk of white bread that gave the impression of being very tough but actually was soft and delicate. My interest was the gardens and walking each day to each one usually with a temple building to wander bare foot in was very pleasant, even next to a busy road, the sound of running water from a fountain was the only noise apparent.
I was fascinated by the country but my funds were eaten up quickly and so I returned via Manila to complete the second week of my holiday in a more economic fashion. Couldn't run to paying £8.00 for a small beer, well not very often.
...and another thing, the people on the streets are well dressed all the time, even the young girls, tights, smart skirts, suited, powdered faces with rouge on their cheeks. In the bars at night most of them were smoking, which i got the impression was for fashion more than pleasure.....could be wrong.
A truly interesting place to visit and worth a look.

Bob Feb 11th 2006 7:52 pm

Certainly get a very different experience depending on which island you go to, cities are cities, big and impressive, can't beat the electronics, and then the countryside is so very different, fantastic temples, fantastic mountains and spa's.

Summer can be very humid, so easter makes for a nice time to do. Also, while electronics are cheap, groceries aren't, but if you don't mind not going to fancy places to eat, plenty of great and cheap little food bars, and the noodles are always a safe bet :)

TruBrit Feb 11th 2006 8:31 pm

been to tokyo a few times, most recent last spring which is the best time to sightsee although japan has a moderate climate throughout the yr... one never knows a country until they live in it, right.. however as a visitor found it attractive in parts, beautiful temples, no smoking areas including the roads etc, no dog ends allowed to be thrown and so very much typical of singapore in that heavy fines incurred if caught out. not so expensive as one is led to believe with a variety of foods ....'washoku' restaurants serving sushi etc but beware cats and dogs on some menus :eek: train/subway system extremely efficient, taxis some-what expensive and car hire/driving no probs coz they drive on the same side as the brits..all in all a great place to take a vacation ..must say a nice change to see proportionately sized people walking around smartly dressed and not bulging out of their sloppy scruffy clothes as here in the usa or the uk.

krestsaf Feb 12th 2006 11:55 am

it is and it isnt!

I went to school there 10 years ago and I chose to live in a rural village that had not been "westernised" (no offence meant!) that was the real Japan to me, and yes it was a different world, where tradition and values and respect came before all other things!

I went back a few times, and on my last visit I went to a town north of Tokyo, to my horror there were mcdonalds, burger king, kfc, gap to name but a few everywhere!

The trains were not as safe as 11 years ago, and some had guns and knives, and gang culture seemed to dominate.

Not to put you off just to explain the differences!

If you go to Japan expect the unexpected, read up before you go and learn their culture and language so you can understand the "japanese way"

The history, the language, the religion, the food and most importantly the people!

IT is a country that I hold very dear to my heart, and think everyone should go there at least once in their lives!

zipangu Feb 25th 2006 1:55 am

Hi DSC_AU,

Seeing is believing.
When in Rome do as the Romans do.

Please come to Japan.
Enjoy the culture shock!! LOL :D