Reload this Page >

Japan - Kinki region travel

Japan - Kinki region travel

Old Nov 13th 2002, 10:43 pm
Just Joined

Cristian_Tomesc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Japan - Kinki region travel

Hello,

I will be travelling to Nara on business, but I am taking 5 days off for exploration. I have read Gateway to Japan, and settled on several sites: Koya-san, Horyu-ji, Himeji, Asuka, Shirahama onsen. Any other recommendations? Generally, I am trying to get away from commercialized sites - do you have any comments/recommendations? Also, how are the accomodations at Koya-san?

I am looking for hiking areas, as well as rotemburo onsen in beautiful settings and avoiding crowds.

Thanks

Cristian
Old Nov 30th 2002, 10:05 am
Forum Regular

anzen12 is an unknown quantity at this point

You may find it difficult getting to all those places in five days. Koya-san is beautiful, but from what I remember, because it is a holy mountain most of the accomodation is within the temples - very basic, very cheap and very traditional. Shirahama has rotemburo onsens, but it is quite expensive. I have been away for a few years so I am not up to date, but there is quite a bit of info on the internet. Would suggest a search through google. I have a Japanese wife, so if you get really stuck on some information, let me know and she would be happy to try and help.