Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Japan (how to spend a year/more?)

Japan (how to spend a year/more?)

Old Apr 3rd 2005, 12:14 pm
Forum Regular

tariqbutt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Japan (how to spend a year/more?)

Next year will be my final year in college, and I would be interested in spending a year or more in Japan after that. My college offers a JET program where you spend a year in japan helping in english classes. I am considering this.
However, seeing as that I will have a degree in maths and computer science at that point, is there a way I could go there and work for an IT company say?

Where can I get information on english speaking jobs in Japan?
Anyone have info on how hard it is to get a visa?
Any have any tips for me (I dont know where to start looking). Has anyone seeked out a job in Japan?

Thanks
Old Apr 3rd 2005, 1:49 pm
Just Joined

pacific4038 will become famous soon enough
Wink Re: Japan (how to spend a year/more?)

I am a japanese guy who is working in japan. and to see your question this time, It seems that Working Holyday visa might be suitable way for you in order to start working in Japan. As matter of fact, I have been in Canada for 1.5yeays and I started from W/H visa at that time. If you are U.K. citizenship or you have permanent residence on U.K., you suppoused to be able to apply it. I hope you enjoy and have a great time in japan. I can give you some great topics about Life and culture in Japan. It would be great time for you here!! Ken
Old Apr 3rd 2005, 2:40 pm
Forum Regular

tariqbutt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Japan (how to spend a year/more?)

I saw another post about working in a hotel in japan. I would also be interested in a job like that. Are there visas/programs for people like me who have just finished college? I would love to work in a hostel or a hotel even.
Old Apr 11th 2005, 4:25 am
Forum Regular

Noriko is an unknown quantity at this point

I am working in IT industry in Tokyo now.

First of all, you need to understand Japanese language.
I have worked with some non-Japanese engineers in projects
(Chinese, Korean, American, Indian), the first requirement is understanding
project book written in Japanese.

And I had some friends who had worked in four stars hotel in Japan.
Most of them got job through the agent in their home countries.
But some people are lucky enough to get job in Japan.
Just get that working holiday visa and pop in.

I found some site with quick search.

http://www.bestwestern.co.jp/
http://metropolis.japantoday.com/default.asp

good luck
Noriko
Old Apr 11th 2005, 1:12 pm
Just Joined

pacific4038 will become famous soon enough

Yes, I fully agreed the opinion from Noriko-san's point of view. It seems to be more important than we expected, yes we may not realize that how hard to get by in japan without speaking japanese ability.
Some friend of mine is also working in Japan, however most of them keeps working as english teacher of several schools for living. In fact there might be many job oppotunities here, and most of japanese people would be so kindly and friendly if somebody who is likely aliean is able to speak some japanese to them, no metter how fluently you speak.
If you can speak japanese, living in japan would be great time for you. If you have any difficutly in speaking, don't worry about it. it is okay to start just talking. you do not have to start write and read. Japanese pronounsation may not be quite harder than you think. I hope it helps.
Regards, Ken
Old Apr 11th 2005, 5:11 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tariqbutt
Next year will be my final year in college, and I would be interested in spending a year or more in Japan after that. My college offers a JET program where you spend a year in japan helping in english classes. I am considering this.
However, seeing as that I will have a degree in maths and computer science at that point, is there a way I could go there and work for an IT company say?

Where can I get information on english speaking jobs in Japan?
Anyone have info on how hard it is to get a visa?
Any have any tips for me (I dont know where to start looking). Has anyone seeked out a job in Japan?

Thanks
Unless you are already fluent in Japanese (written and spoken), there's virtually no way you could work for an IT company in Japan.

As for visas for Japan, you should look at the Japanese Embassy's website in the country where you reside. There should be info on visas for employment.

Your options may be somewhat limited because you will be a graduate, but check anyway.

NC Penguin
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 1:53 pm
Small Dane

Viking Man is a name known to allViking Man is a name known to allViking Man is a name known to allViking Man is a name known to allViking Man is a name known to allViking Man is a name known to allViking Man is a name known to allViking Man is a name known to allViking Man is a name known to allViking Man is a name known to allViking Man is a name known to all

Originally Posted by tariqbutt
The JET programme is definitely your best bet. It's much better to come via JET than to arrive and look for work in private English language schools. You will find it nearly impossible to get an IT job in Tokyo with a Japanese company. You may get a job in a foreign company in Tokyo but you won't learn any Japanese. If you want to experience life in Japan and learn a bit of the language, the JET programme is the way to go.
Old Sep 15th 2005, 5:26 am
Forum Regular

galloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nice

Here are a couple of websites that may help giving you a better idea about the job situation.

http://www.daijob.com/dj/en/index.html
http://www.gaijinpot.com/
http://www.ecentral.jp/?l=e