British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Japan (https://britishexpats.com/forum/japan-172/)
-   -   I'm moving to Japan (https://britishexpats.com/forum/japan-172/im-moving-japan-352051/)

Totally_lost Jan 31st 2006 5:55 pm

I'm moving to Japan

I still can believe this. My mother told me last night. I was speechless. What can you say, when you are told you are moving to the far east, leaving behind family and friends. I don't want to sound selfish...but in those 3 years.....I wont see my cousins grow up or my my Granny...or my best friends. What if, when I return, she doesn't remembers me? I happened to me before, when I changed school, imagine what will happen when I switch country.

Besides...I can't speak Japanese! I going to get lost!...

Does anyone when here before? any tip would be greatly appreciated.

krestsaf Feb 12th 2006 11:58 am

Re: I'm moving to Japan

hi totally lost,

i wish you didnt feel this way, i offered to go! I went alone at 16 and had the time of my life!

when you are older and look back on your experiences you had, your options available to you you will be amazed,as will others at what you achieved at such a young age :D

email me and i will send you some links to help.

dont be afraid! be excited! its going to be great!

NC Penguin Feb 12th 2006 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by Totally_lost
I still can believe this. My mother told me last night. I was speechless. What can you say, when you are told you are moving to the far east, leaving behind family and friends. I don't want to sound selfish...but in those 3 years.....I wont see my cousins grow up or my my Granny...or my best friends. What if, when I return, she doesn't remembers me? I happened to me before, when I changed school, imagine what will happen when I switch country.

Are you going to the Japan due to one of your parent's jobs? Then, you'll be going with your family.

Do you have any brothers or sisters who are moving too?

It's only a temporary move. You don't have to live there for good. Don't speak Japanese? Does the rest of your family?

You're getting an opportunity to live in a different culture for a limited time. You'll get insight on a different way of life that few foreigners ever do. It'll be exciting. You could learn a new language that could lead to good job opportunities in the future.

NC Penguin

TruBrit Feb 12th 2006 6:46 pm

wow what a great opportunity for you,... granny will be on the next flight out to come visit and you can look forward to showing your friends around when they come...think you'll be bogged down with visitors...lucky you...enjoy

Totally_lost Feb 15th 2006 5:12 am

:) Thanks for the advices! I'm gonna take this opportunity to learn new ideas and meet new people!

CarlM Feb 15th 2006 4:49 pm

let me know - ill go instead of you!

zipangu Feb 25th 2006 12:20 am

:) Thanks for the advices! I'm gonna take this opportunity to learn new ideas and meet new people!

Hi Totally_lost,

That's very positive thinking, mate!
I'm new here and this is my first post. :)
I am a Japanese Sheila and living in Japan. Any country of this world would be very interesting, I guess.
I've been to AUS and US. I had precious time and experiences!
Go outside of UK!! Have fun!!
If you can't speak Japanese, I am willing to be a
language exchange mate here in Japan or by email. ;)