Gardening In Japan

Old Feb 3rd 2007, 12:27 am
Just Joined

adekun is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Gardening In Japan

I'd like to hear from any gardeners, veg growers or self sufficient experts.

Yoroshiku onegaishimasu,
Adekun
Old Jun 26th 2007, 6:18 pm
Just Joined

jk1926 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Gardening In Japan

Soo, you better have a pretty large house if you want to garden in Japan...otherwise its mostly hanging plants because there is no room
Old Jun 26th 2007, 9:24 pm
Just Joined

I am pleased to get a reply after so long. I understand about the lack of space. Not everybody lives in Tokyo
Although we live in a city, there is enough space to grow a few vegetables
If you are interested you could check out adekun's japan blog.

If we had a large house the mother-in-law wouldn't be so much of a problem :curse:
Old Jun 27th 2007, 11:23 am
BE Enthusiast

TONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by adekun
I am pleased to get a reply after so long. I understand about the lack of space. Not everybody lives in Tokyo
Although we live in a city, there is enough space to grow a few vegetables
If you are interested you could check out adekun's japan blog.

If we had a large house the mother-in-law wouldn't be so much of a problem :curse:
Hi Adekun, how much space do you have, what is the soil like (Ph), weather conditions, how much sun does your garden get, what do you want to grow and finally are there any Gardening clubs in Japan?
regardsw
Tony P
Old Jun 27th 2007, 11:38 am
Just Joined

I'm just about to catch a flight and will be without an internet connection for at least a week.
I'll reply, once I'm back up running...
Old Jun 27th 2007, 11:43 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jk1926
Soo, you better have a pretty large house if you want to garden in Japan...otherwise its mostly hanging plants because there is no room
It sounds like you have not been to Japan. Otherwise, you would know that that there is land utilized for gardening and allotments.
Old Jun 28th 2007, 8:43 am
BE Enthusiast

TONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
It sounds like you have not been to Japan. Otherwise, you would know that that there is land utilized for gardening and allotments.
Hi NC
I haven't been to Japan either, but when I get the info, I should be able to give some help and advice for growing vegetables in small areas, containers and Hanging baskets. Interesting that they have Allotments, would that be similar to UK?
Regards
Tony P
Old Jul 9th 2007, 11:32 am
Just Joined

There are allotments, at least here people tend to own a patch - there is generally somebody in the extended family that grows ample rice. For every apartment block there seems to be a rice field.
I have sandy loam? which I guess is a touch acid. I hasn't presented any problems. It varies within walking distance.
I guess there are clubs, but I'm as yet to find any - I expect it's a case of a few old men escaping their wives for a bit.
You can check the links below to see what has been planted over the past year and a bit.

Best Wishes,
Adrian
Old Jul 9th 2007, 12:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by adekun
There are allotments, at least here people tend to own a patch - there is generally somebody in the extended family that grows ample rice. For every apartment block there seems to be a rice field.
I have sandy loam? which I guess is a touch acid. I hasn't presented any problems. It varies within walking distance.
I guess there are clubs, but I'm as yet to find any - I expect it's a case of a few old men escaping their wives for a bit.
You can check the links below to see what has been planted over the past year and a bit.

Best Wishes,
Adrian
Hi Adrian
So you obviously don't want to grow rice. How many sq. m can you spare for vegetables, normally in a small area it is better to grow things that you can't buy normally or specific types for their flavour. Herbs can be grown in pots, tomatoes also in pots but they need a lot of attention, watering and feeding.
If you have sandy loam you will need to dig in plenty of composted vegetable matter, which will help to retain water. In a small area making raised deep beds is a very good way to grow things, easy to work round and good cropping.
No links below
Regards
Tony P
Old Jul 9th 2007, 1:09 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by TONY P
No links below
the two in my signature...
Old Aug 30th 2007, 9:01 am
Just Joined

connieb is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi. I am one of the lucky few who have a little garden in Tokyo...well, actually it's really a block of dirt. The tenants before me never utilised it, so I inherited a wee block of weeds (loads of weeds) and crawling thingies underneath it all. I was told that it is bad luck to kill the hundreds of spiders that live in it, at least they have kept the ant population under control.
Does anyone know of a decently priced landscaper/gardener in Tokyo to help out?
Thanks
Old Aug 30th 2007, 9:36 am
Just Joined

I can't offer anything on landscape gardeners.
Growing some veg has it's rewards. Throughout September you could dig a small patch and early October stick some garlic in. You wouldn't have to pay 300 yen for something that hasn't been sprayed with all sorts.
The spiders can keep the bugs in check.

Old Aug 31st 2007, 9:11 am
Just Joined

connieb is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Adekun, I will take your advice and try to plant veges. I have no clue but will read up. Thanks.
Old Aug 31st 2007, 9:32 am
Just Joined

If you want any advice, drop by my blog and website. I started about eighteen months ago and although no expert, pretty keen.