British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Japan (https://britishexpats.com/forum/japan-172/)
-   -   Gardening In Japan (https://britishexpats.com/forum/japan-172/gardening-japan-423330/)

adekun Feb 3rd 2007 12:27 am

Gardening In Japan

I'd like to hear from any gardeners, veg growers or self sufficient experts.

Yoroshiku onegaishimasu,
Adekun

jk1926 Jun 26th 2007 6:18 pm

Re: Gardening In Japan

Soo, you better have a pretty large house if you want to garden in Japan...otherwise its mostly hanging plants because there is no room

adekun Jun 26th 2007 9:24 pm

I am pleased to get a reply after so long. I understand about the lack of space. Not everybody lives in Tokyo :thumbup:
Although we live in a city, there is enough space to grow a few vegetables :)
If you are interested you could check out adekun's japan blog.

If we had a large house the mother-in-law wouldn't be so much of a problem :curse:

TONY P Jun 27th 2007 11:23 am

Originally Posted by adekun (Post 4972900)
I am pleased to get a reply after so long. I understand about the lack of space. Not everybody lives in Tokyo :thumbup:
Although we live in a city, there is enough space to grow a few vegetables :)
If you are interested you could check out adekun's japan blog.

If we had a large house the mother-in-law wouldn't be so much of a problem :curse:

Hi Adekun, how much space do you have, what is the soil like (Ph), weather conditions, how much sun does your garden get, what do you want to grow and finally are there any Gardening clubs in Japan?
regardsw
Tony P

adekun Jun 27th 2007 11:38 am

I'm just about to catch a flight and will be without an internet connection for at least a week.
I'll reply, once I'm back up running...

NC Penguin Jun 27th 2007 11:43 pm

Originally Posted by jk1926 (Post 4972263)
Soo, you better have a pretty large house if you want to garden in Japan...otherwise its mostly hanging plants because there is no room

It sounds like you have not been to Japan. Otherwise, you would know that that there is land utilized for gardening and allotments.

TONY P Jun 28th 2007 8:43 am

Originally Posted by NC Penguin (Post 4978487)
It sounds like you have not been to Japan. Otherwise, you would know that that there is land utilized for gardening and allotments.

Hi NC
I haven't been to Japan either, but when I get the info, I should be able to give some help and advice for growing vegetables in small areas, containers and Hanging baskets. Interesting that they have Allotments, would that be similar to UK?
Regards
Tony P

adekun Jul 9th 2007 11:32 am

There are allotments, at least here people tend to own a patch - there is generally somebody in the extended family that grows ample rice. For every apartment block there seems to be a rice field.
I have sandy loam? which I guess is a touch acid. I hasn't presented any problems. It varies within walking distance.
I guess there are clubs, but I'm as yet to find any - I expect it's a case of a few old men escaping their wives for a bit.
You can check the links below to see what has been planted over the past year and a bit.

Best Wishes,
Adrian

TONY P Jul 9th 2007 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by adekun (Post 5030414)
There are allotments, at least here people tend to own a patch - there is generally somebody in the extended family that grows ample rice. For every apartment block there seems to be a rice field.
I have sandy loam? which I guess is a touch acid. I hasn't presented any problems. It varies within walking distance.
I guess there are clubs, but I'm as yet to find any - I expect it's a case of a few old men escaping their wives for a bit.
You can check the links below to see what has been planted over the past year and a bit.

Best Wishes,
Adrian

Hi Adrian
So you obviously don't want to grow rice. How many sq. m can you spare for vegetables, normally in a small area it is better to grow things that you can't buy normally or specific types for their flavour. Herbs can be grown in pots, tomatoes also in pots but they need a lot of attention, watering and feeding.
If you have sandy loam you will need to dig in plenty of composted vegetable matter, which will help to retain water. In a small area making raised deep beds is a very good way to grow things, easy to work round and good cropping.
No links below
Regards
Tony P

adekun Jul 9th 2007 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by TONY P (Post 5030733)
No links below

the two in my signature...

connieb Aug 30th 2007 9:01 am

Hi. I am one of the lucky few who have a little garden in Tokyo...well, actually it's really a block of dirt. The tenants before me never utilised it, so I inherited a wee block of weeds (loads of weeds) and crawling thingies underneath it all. I was told that it is bad luck to kill the hundreds of spiders that live in it, at least they have kept the ant population under control.
Does anyone know of a decently priced landscaper/gardener in Tokyo to help out?
Thanks

adekun Aug 30th 2007 9:36 am

I can't offer anything on landscape gardeners.
Growing some veg has it's rewards. Throughout September you could dig a small patch and early October stick some garlic in. You wouldn't have to pay 300 yen for something that hasn't been sprayed with all sorts.
The spiders can keep the bugs in check.

:thumbsup:

connieb Aug 31st 2007 9:11 am

Thanks Adekun, I will take your advice and try to plant veges. I have no clue but will read up. Thanks.

adekun Aug 31st 2007 9:32 am

If you want any advice, drop by my blog and website. I started about eighteen months ago and although no expert, pretty keen.

:)