Brit/jap couple set up business in Japan

Brit/jap couple set up business in Japan

Old Dec 10th 2013, 1:36 pm
s.b
Just Joined

s.b is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Brit/jap couple set up business in Japan

Hello,

I married a Japanese lady a couple or years ago and We`ve spent time in each others countries.

I like the onsen, food and winter sports of japan. Although i find a persons long delay replying to a question somewhat strange. Followed by a non commited answer. Blood from a stone by World standards. Did i mention i really like to food?

UK wise she rather likes the sailing, the free and easy aproach of people in the pub and our music . However, she finds the disjointed family unit of many brits strange.

We are considering setting up a business in Japan however, we finding it very difficult to locate information on how to so.
I dont really want to say in England we do this and such however, its true to say researching and indeed setting up a business here is very simple.

JETRO do provide some info although i cant access their service because i dont currently have a business in the UK.

Gaijin pot has some threads along the lines of `How to do it` although these are actualy comercials from companies offering services. They do suggest Business set up is complicated,expensive and long winded. Hence legal serivces, especially their own.

So OK assuming complicated, expensive and time consuming is the norm even so id like to aswer a fews question prior to spending time and money.
I know i dont speak/read japanese althought the wife does and even she cant find basic info.

In addition for my part Can a Birt own a Co. in Japan?
What are the boundaries regarding business when your company partner is also your wife?

In addition Radiation?
My first visit to Japan saw the wife collect me from Tokyo airport and hour later we were enjoying lunch when the quake struck. I ceratinly have enough of a story for a pub session.
Any way how are things out there today where can i find up to date info regarding radiation concerns?
Are westeners Returing or Leaving?
What are your feelings?

Thanks for reading, S B.
Old Dec 11th 2013, 12:35 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brit/jap couple set up business in Japan

Hello there.....gosh, it took you a little while to get from post 2 to post 3 . Welcome back.

We don't have so many posters here in the Japanese section but, you never know, someone may come along and give some comments. Let's hope so. All the best with your plans.
Old Dec 17th 2013, 4:23 am
KK Resident - Retired

Hovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of light

Hi s.b, I suggest you join Linkedin if not already on there and apply to join the group Expats In Japan. it only for those in Japan so they may not take you without explanation. There are people (ex-pats) in that group that have their own businesses here and may be able to help. Depending on your profession you might try seeking employment here - there are many expats, myself included, working for Japanese companies. Failing all else, if you have a degree you could apply to work as an English teacher through the JET programme. That would at least get you into the country and working. You would have the opportunity to explore possibilities first hand. The cost of living is very high here and as you cannot speak Japanese I suspect this will be a bar. Hope this helps.
Old Jan 13th 2014, 1:45 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

The OP wouldn't need to join JET because he is married to a Japanese national and is therefore eligible for a spousal visa. The spousal visa costs between £6 - £20 (I think) from the consulate in London and places you only one level down from a Japanese citizen in legal terms. Only spousal visas and permanent residents are allowed to work and live as they see fit in Japan whereas all other resident foreigners are subject to strict controls.

There is nothing to stop you from operating your own business in Japan however it is probably best if the area of it is somewhat niche. Japanese typically have a deep rooted mistrust of almost anything foreign so a gaijin face doesn't always sit well with the locals (although they will obviously never tell you that directly). Again, this would only be permitted under spousal or permanent resident status though.

Not sure whether or not you decided to proceed with this but let us know how you got on if you did anyway.

The high cost of living thing is at best outdated and at worst a myth by the way. Even in Tokyo, your cost is living is likely to be roughly the same as most of Britain and far less than London. Some things there are expensive but if you can adapt then you can survive. The language barrier is definitely worth bearing in mind though.
Old Jan 13th 2014, 4:23 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Incidentally, the term 'Jap' is kind of considered to be a racial slur. You probably don't want to go throwing that one around if you do move there.