Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Braces and gum surgery in Tokyo

Braces and gum surgery in Tokyo

Old Jun 12th 2011, 4:53 pm
Just Joined

Allwoods Oil is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Braces and gum surgery in Tokyo

I am currently teaching English in Saudi Arabia, and am considering moving to Japan in the autumn to teach there in Tokyo. However, I went to see the periodontist here in Saudi recently and was told that it is advisable for me to get gum surgery on all four quadrants of my mouth (bottom left and right, top left and right) to rebuild my gums using collagen/alloderm. This proceedure will cost the equivalent of 428,000 Japanese Yen if I get it done here in Saudi before I leave.

He also advised that it might be a good idea to get braces (I have the appointment with the orthodontist in a few days). This will cost about 129,000 Japanese Yen (again, if I get that done here in Saudi before I leave).

I get the impression that these proceedures, because they are considered cosmetic, would also be out of pocket expenses in Japan, as they are in Saudi Arabia. However, from the internet searching I've done, I get the impression that they would cost a lot more in Japan than they would here in Saudi Arabia (something in the neigbourhood of 700,000 yen for braces, according to some internet searching I've done, for example). Is this correct? I would be interested to know because if it is possible to get gum surgery and/or braces done in Japan for a cheaper price it would be worth knowing if I have some time to think about it before leaving. I've been paid well here but the surgery is expensive so it's taken this long to accumulate the money needed to do it, and it may be easier financially to do the gum surgery first (here), then do the braces later on (in Japan) if it is not too expensive.

The other thing to think about, of course, is that if I do get both proceedures done here, I will obviously need check ups every so often with a periodontist (for the gums), and check ups/adjustments regularly with an orthodontist (for the braces). Would these kinds of visits also be expensive in Tokyo?

Thanks.
P.S. From what I can gather, the company I am interviewing with, Westgate, provide the basic insurance, so, as I said, I don't expect that these proceedures wouldl be covered - but if anybody knows of any insurance options I could pay a little extra for where they might be covered, I'd be very interested to know.