Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Young couple move to Italy

Young couple move to Italy

Old Nov 6th 2012, 8:02 am
Just Joined

BParry is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Young couple move to Italy

Me and my partner are looking to move to Italy next year around the June/July time. I’m 25 and work in the finance sector (I have qualifications in finance) but also have years of experience of working in Marketing. My partner has just recently graduated from University after studying fashion and now works blogging and website building for a clothing company. We decided on Italy as we are fascinated with the culture, people, country, food and much more and think it is somewhere we would really like to live. However, we have been doing a bit of research on which city we would most like to move to but can’t come to a final decision as each places offers their own unique thing.

I’m just after any suggestions… As I said before we are a young friendly couple, we like to get out and about/see things and do activities we have diverse interests and do not know which place would be best suited for us? We will be flying over earlier next year once we have decided on a place for a long weekend or so, to have a look around and get a proper feel for where we have decided on

Also, we will be looking for work. Would you suggest we try and sort a job out before we fly over? When we come over we will have enough money to support ourselves and rent a property for a good few months and was planning to hopefully find work in that time. Although we both specialize in our own areas we would be willing to work in any sector/job as long as it would cover our cost of living.

P.S We will be scratching up on our Italian language as much as possible over the coming months!

Any feedback would be much appreciated

Thanks guys,
Brad & Anna

Last edited by BParry; Nov 6th 2012 at 8:04 am. Reason: Additional info
Old Nov 6th 2012, 8:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Pecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Young couple move to Italy

Hi Brad and Anna,

Italy is a great country. but it has it's share of problems and one of those is high unemployment and businesses are closing or finding it very difficult at the moment.

There are job agencies over here ie manpower services but a lot of the time jobs are given to friends or friends of friends.

I would try finding a job before you leave the UK or make sure you have enough money to live on for 6 months or more.

Have a search through the forum and you will get a feel for Italy and it's problems.

I can't advise you were to live, that will depend on your work. For example there is more work in the North of Italy ie Turin, Milan but it is not a place I would want to live.

Before long others will be along to give you their 2 pennies worth of advice.

Best of luck

Pecora Nera
Old Nov 6th 2012, 8:45 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Brad and Anna and welcome to the forum.

Italy is indeed a lovely place to live, but it can also be bloody hard work, especially when it comes to red tape.

You'll have to decide which is the best part for yourselves and good jobs are not easy to come by. It's hard in the beginning as well with not much Italian.

Luckily, you have found us and we can help you out with lots of things.

Wishing you all the best.
Old Nov 6th 2012, 8:53 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of

Hello Brad and Anna,

unemployment will be up to 12% next year, recession is in its fourth (fifth?) year, and society is rife with corruption, crime and financial ruin.

But the food is good and the weather is usually nice.

Are you UK citizens?
Old Nov 6th 2012, 8:53 am
BE Enthusiast

gelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud of

How is your and your partner's Italian? Without fluent Italian your job options will be very limited although there's always teaching English. But maybe you're fluent already? Earning enough to cover living expenses, even with fluent Italian, is no easy task.
Old Nov 6th 2012, 8:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Pecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by MarkRD
Hello Brad and Anna,

unemployment will be up to 12% next year, recession is in its fourth (fifth?) year, and society is rife with corruption, crime and financial ruin.

But the food is good and the weather is usually nice.

Are you UK citizens?
You forgot to add the wine is good.
Old Nov 6th 2012, 8:55 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Pecora Nera
I'm not a big drinker but yes the wine is very good too I'm told.

Oh and the scenery .. in some places.
Old Nov 6th 2012, 8:56 am
BE Enthusiast

gelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Pecora Nera
And cheap!
Old Nov 6th 2012, 9:07 am
Just Joined

BParry is an unknown quantity at this point

Heyy! Thanks for the quick replies, firstly our Italian is very basic at the moment, but we will be studying this hard! We are both UK citizens yes.

I think maybe i will have to look in to each particular place in more detail and see what opportunities each area could offer us, this was just an initial thread to get a bit more of a feel or anything that may swing our decision.

We have been reading up on Bologna, it looks like quite a vibrant city with lots going on. I will read through all the other threads and get up to speed with the current issues you have mentioned!

Thanks!
Old Nov 6th 2012, 9:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BParry
Heyy! Thanks for the quick replies, firstly our Italian is very basic at the moment, but we will be studying this hard! We are both UK citizens yes.

I think maybe i will have to look in to each particular place in more detail and see what opportunities each area could offer us, this was just an initial thread to get a bit more of a feel or anything that may swing our decision.

We have been reading up on Bologna, it looks like quite a vibrant city with lots going on. I will read through all the other threads and get up to speed with the current issues you have mentioned!

Thanks!
Bologna is a great place to live/work, but if your partner (Anna?) is into cloting and fashion and such hen you might be better off in Milan.

But the food is definitely better in Bologna
Old Nov 6th 2012, 9:22 am
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BParry
I’m just after any suggestions… As I said before we are a young friendly couple, we like to get out and about/see things and do activities we have diverse interests and do not know which place would be best suited for us? We will be flying over earlier next year once we have decided on a place for a long weekend or so, to have a look around and get a proper feel for where we have decided on

Also, we will be looking for work. Would you suggest we try and sort a job out before we fly over? When we come over we will have enough money to support ourselves and rent a property for a good few months and was planning to hopefully find work in that time. Although we both specialize in our own areas we would be willing to work in any sector/job as long as it would cover our cost of living.

Firstly, can I add my welcome and secondly say that I agree with Mark and disagree with Pecora , the wine is better than good (and I may have tried the odd bottle or lots).

Suggestions:

It maybe difficult to pick one place from afar and then fly over and see how it is - I would recommend you think about 2 or 3 weekends in different places if you can.

Getting a job may be easier if you are here on the ground and much easier if you speak the languauge but if you can get something before you come go for it.

Have a back up plan if it all goes wrong and you have to return to UK i.e. don't burn your bridges.

Ask as many questions as you like, there are no silly questions in these circumstances.

And the very best of British luck to you both,.
Old Nov 6th 2012, 9:39 am
BE Forum Addict

HADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond repute

If you want a job in Finance then you'd probably be looking at Rome or Milan . There are US banks in Milan who employ non italian personel if you have the right knowledge . Milan is also good for the fashion industry . I agree with whats been said about the econimic climate so I suggest you start looking for a job and then where to live.
Old Nov 6th 2012, 12:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond repute

I suggest you wait until your Italian is excellent before moving. Otherwise, you'll have even fewer chances than a non-English speaker in the UK.
Old Nov 6th 2012, 5:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

ononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HADENOUGHPIZZA
If you want a job in Finance then you'd probably be looking at Rome or Milan . There are US banks in Milan who employ non italian personel if you have the right knowledge . Milan is also good for the fashion industry . I agree with whats been said about the econimic climate so I suggest you start looking for a job and then where to live.
Welcome from me too. Have to agree with Pizza about Milano being probably the best place to combine opportunities in finance and fashion; but it's a God awful place to have to live in. Uncomfortably hot in the summer months; and misty and miserable and bitterly cold in winter. If you are lucky enough to find a good job, you could commute from the Lakes though.
Anyway, best of luck wherever/whatever you decide.
ciao for now,
'o nonno
Old Nov 7th 2012, 7:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ononno
Welcome from me too. Have to agree with Pizza about Milano being probably the best place to combine opportunities in finance and fashion; but it's a God awful place to have to live in. Uncomfortably hot in the summer months; and misty and miserable and bitterly cold in winter. ...
..and that's coming from a "southerner"!!!
Actually he's probably right .. I've never got on with Milan much either, and not just becuase of the climate. There are many other nice places to live in Italy.. e.g. Bologna!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.