Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Will a bread making machine from US work in Europe?

Wikiposts

Will a bread making machine from US work in Europe?

Old Feb 15th 2013, 3:15 am
Just Joined

ira.falzman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Will a bread making machine from US work in Europe?

Hi guys, was kinda busy with the move and all, so only now I've had time to get back onto the forum and read all of the new things that appeared in the thread...

Well, volume quote or not, but at the time of the pick-up I wasn't sure that the bread machine would work, so I left it for last to be packed. The long and the short - it didn't fit. I could only afford to ship a 4'x7'x7' liftvan. Now I'm already in Italy, the "stuff" arrived. Waiting on my prized car to arrive.
And I sure used every bit of my "volume quote": after weighing the liftvan, the moving company said that mine was about 4 times heavier than normal.

I left the bread machine with a friend, so if I have to go back to the US, I'll bring it along and give it a shot.
It was much more important to have my large power tools (10" table saw with huge working surface and 12" sliding chop saw), than the bread maker after all, and they've made it just fine.

The funny thing is, I've brough an electric knife sharpener, and those 10% that it runs slower prevent it from working properly. It gets jammed. Since it's only a 40-watt appliance, I'm thinking to rig a 2-step transformer sometime when I feel like doing it (and when my dad who's an electronics engineer feels like explaining to me how to do it). I have a couple of freeby 2 & 3 Amp laptop adapters (and I can probably get more of them if needed) that will go from 220 V down to 12 VDC, and a 90-watt 8.5 Amp car tranformer that'll bring it from 12 VDC back up to 110V 60HZ.
Or maybe I'll just learn to sharpen them with a bench grinder that I've got. I just need to find a leather attachment for it. Just today I've watched a dude doing it - doesn't seem very hard. Ruin a few throw-away knives - and I'll probably learn.
I like little projects, so a transformer would be good to have for other small low-wattage kitchen appliances that I have. They work anyway, but why not run them at the proper voltage & frequency.

Last edited by ira.falzman; Feb 15th 2013 at 3:24 am.