Where to visit?

Wikiposts

Where to visit?

Old Nov 22nd 2012, 2:20 am
Just Joined

missljw is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where to visit?

Hi,

I live near Modena and am looking for some places to visit just for a day. Im going down to Florence over the weekend, for my birthday, then have the Monday and Tuesday to find things to do near home.

Does anybody know any nice places to visit within about an hour/hour and half drive from Modena? I don't mind what it is, whether it be a nice town/village, somewhere scenic for a nice walk etc.

Thanks for any help!
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 2:58 am
BE Forum Addict

HADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to visit?

Parma is a nice place for a day trip , its similar in many ways to Modena but its within easy reach and is small enough to visit in a day .. Mark RD will soon be here suggesting you go to Ferrara or Ravenna !
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 4:03 am
Forum Regular

Scratcher has a reputation beyond reputeScratcher has a reputation beyond reputeScratcher has a reputation beyond reputeScratcher has a reputation beyond reputeScratcher has a reputation beyond reputeScratcher has a reputation beyond reputeScratcher has a reputation beyond reputeScratcher has a reputation beyond reputeScratcher has a reputation beyond reputeScratcher has a reputation beyond reputeScratcher has a reputation beyond repute

Bologna is worth a visit and is not far from Modena. Ferrara was a favourite day trip when i lived in Bologna, but that was before the earthquake.

Scratcher
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 8:58 pm
Just Joined

HADENOUGHPIZZA
Parma is a nice place for a day trip , its similar in many ways to Modena but its within easy reach and is small enough to visit in a day .. Mark RD will soon be here suggesting you go to Ferrara or Ravenna !
Thanks, Will have a look into them!

Scratcher
Bologna is worth a visit and is not far from Modena. Ferrara was a favourite day trip when i lived in Bologna, but that was before the earthquake.

Scratcher
Thanks, Have been to Bologna briefly before but i suppose no harm in going for another look! Also what changed after the earthquake?
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 9:51 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missljw
Also what changed after the earthquake?
lots of things fell down
Old Nov 25th 2012, 7:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

K in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant future

Hi, yes Parma is lovely and Reggio Emilia which is a bit nearer isn't bad for a wander around and a Christmas shopping trip. Bologna is great. Ravenna has some beautiful Byzantine mosaics if you're into art. Ferrara I haven't been to since the earthquake but I think we'd have heard about it if anything major had fallen down??!! Or you could venture further, to Verona which can be done in a day trip by car too - lovely Roman arena. Hope you're settling in well.
Old Nov 26th 2012, 6:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by HADENOUGHPIZZA
Here I am .. better late than never ..

Yes, Ferrara .. and a lot of things are NOT FALLEN DOWN ! .. if you come on a Friday there's a big market in the town, if you like that sort of thing..

There's always a nice art exhibition going on at Palazzo dei Diamanti .. again, if you're into that.

..and the castle is right in the middle of town..you can't miss it.
Old Nov 28th 2012, 2:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Pica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond repute

Hasn't she gone home now?
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 10:04 pm
Just Joined

Thanks to the last couple of ideas, have only just been back on here and seen them but I will keep it all in mind for another time! We didnt actually end up going far, just to a shopping centre as the weather was awful!

Might go visit a couple of them places over christmas though! Any ideas if theres much goes off on Christmas day over here? Was hoping to be able to go home but unfortunatly my partner has to work close to chirstmas so can't get flights till new year! Thanks again.
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 10:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

K in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant future

Thanks to the last couple of ideas, have only just been back on here and seen them but I will keep it all in mind for another time! We didnt actually end up going far, just to a shopping centre as the weather was awful!

Might go visit a couple of them places over christmas though! Any ideas if theres much goes off on Christmas day over here? Was hoping to be able to go home but unfortunatly my partner has to work close to chirstmas so can't get flights till new year! Thanks again.
No idea, it'll be my first Christmas in Modena (stuck here as I'll be 8 months pregnant!) but I suspect it's very much a family/church day like everywhere. There may well be lots of events organised for around the Christmas period though because they're always organising stuff here!

Oh, just seen there's something called "Kill me please" which sounds festive! http://www.comune.modena.it/latenda/...kill-me-please
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 10:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of

Much the same in Ferrara I suspect ... just people strolling around the town showing off their new designer outfits/coats/shoes what-have-yous, window shopping waiting for the sales.

There is usually a littel 'Christmas market' in the main square though and it's all very pretty.

Have a look here for more info:
http://servizi.comune.fe.it/index.phtml?id=3639
Old Dec 4th 2012, 8:41 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by K in Modena
No idea, it'll be my first Christmas in Modena (stuck here as I'll be 8 months pregnant!) but I suspect it's very much a family/church day like everywhere. There may well be lots of events organised for around the Christmas period though because they're always organising stuff here!

Oh, just seen there's something called "Kill me please" which sounds festive! http://www.comune.modena.it/latenda/...kill-me-please
How long have you been living here? I thought the same from what i found already on the internet but was hoping there may be something that may be organised so atleast we can do something! Won't even have presents as they've all been bought online and sent to my mums in England! (We are having a special christmas back home in the new year haha)

Oh yes very festive... haha
Old Dec 4th 2012, 8:46 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by MarkRD
Much the same in Ferrara I suspect ... just people strolling around the town showing off their new designer outfits/coats/shoes what-have-yous, window shopping waiting for the sales.

There is usually a littel 'Christmas market' in the main square though and it's all very pretty.

Have a look here for more info:
http://servizi.comune.fe.it/index.phtml?id=3639
Ahh okay! Well I may have to join them if we have nothing else to do! Will any cafes/bars be open on Christmas day? Im sure i know the answer already but just gonna check lol

Thats nice, I'm sure it'll be worth the short drive to take a look even if we dont stay long! Thankyou
Old Dec 4th 2012, 9:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

How long have you been living here? I thought the same from what i found already on the internet but was hoping there may be something that may be organised so atleast we can do something! Won't even have presents as they've all been bought online and sent to my mums in England! (We are having a special christmas back home in the new year haha)

Oh yes very festive... haha
I've been here for 5 years - 2 in Formigine and 3 in Modena. Planning to get out of here soon! I'm sure there'll be something nice on in the area somewhere, if not Ferrara as Mark suggested then elsewhere. Why don't you pop into the tourist info place next time you're in town and see what they can suggest? Also I think presents are in order even if they're just from the 1 Euro shop on via Emilia! You could get something delicious from the covered market for your dinner http://www.mercatoalbinelli.it/index.php/sito/mercato - tortellini di zucca (pumpkin tortellini) are traditional here. I think we'll do something like that as I don't think I'll be wanting to slave over a hot stove in my condition! This will be the first Christmas just the 3 of us (we have a little girl) as we've always visited family in the past, usually in the UK, so it'll be a strange time for us too!
Old Dec 11th 2012, 2:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Ahh okay! Well I may have to join them if we have nothing else to do! Will any cafes/bars be open on Christmas day? Im sure i know the answer already but just gonna check lol

Thats nice, I'm sure it'll be worth the short drive to take a look even if we dont stay long! Thankyou
Yeah the main bars will prob be open, as will the Xmas market thing, hoping to cash in on the festa afternoon strolling .. Get a warming vin brulé or two there for € 1 a pop!!

We usually go to the pictures.