British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Italy (https://britishexpats.com/forum/italy-77/)
-   -   Where to live for part of the year? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/italy-77/where-live-part-year-810541/)

me me Sep 27th 2013 10:11 am

Where to live for part of the year?

Hi I have just popped over from the Spain forum, to pick your brains.

For fiscal reasons we are giving up our Spanish residency, so we will have to be 6 months out of Spain.

We thought of renting in Italy for up to 5 months or so.

We have been to Italy quite a few times and stayed in Modena, Pisa, Naples and a few others places.

Considering that we will be there for a long while, and would like to rent a place with a "holiday(ish) feel, where would be a good place to start looking?

ninaDGBCA Sep 27th 2013 5:52 pm

Re: Where to live for part of the year?

Tuscany, (Prato, Viareggio, Livorno, Arezzo, Siena, Florence) although I like the whole of Italy :-)

modicasa Sep 28th 2013 6:27 am

which part of the year? Winter or summer - you want to ski or sunbathe?

me me Sep 28th 2013 7:16 am

Originally Posted by modicasa (Post 10921346)
which part of the year? Winter or summer - you want to ski or sunbathe?

Thanks for the replies, folks.

At the moment we have not worked out the finer details, and we are flexible.

Last night chef Gino, was doing a cookery programm from Puglia, from Bari.

I must admit it looked great, but of course it was a TV programme, but I would like to know what the general opinion is about Bari, from a "family" view, as we will be having visitors over.

There seemed to be something for everyone, from the ladies making home made pasta, to the terraces.

Right now we are brainstorming, we are looking to spend time away from Spain through circumstances,and we may not even decide on Italy for 2014, Portugal is also a contender, and also easier to get to.

But to be honest I wold like to try Italy over Portugal even though it is more difficult to get to.

ononno Sep 28th 2013 9:56 am

:)Bari itself as a city is not much of a place to live; busy port, semi-industrial surroundings. The region of which it is the capital, Puglia, however is great.
Look here round the 'trulli' areas of Alberobello and down towards Fasano/Brindisi. Also the heel of Italy, the Salento, still in Puglia. Hot summers and quiye cold winters.
Another attractive area is the Bay of Naples and Amalfi coast, but not the city of Naples itself. Hot summers, relatively mild but wettish winters.
Sicily is a world unto itself, and should definitely be explored. Hot summers, mild winters with the odd violent bit of cold stormy weather thrown in now and again. And of course permanently snow capped Etna.
A presto ('luego)
'o nonno (el abuelo)

nicktonight Sep 29th 2013 9:00 am

Hi O'Nonno - I'd say Etna is snow-capped from October to June. There are are few lumps of last year's snow left when you climb Etna in September but the peak is brownish purple. At the end of summer (about Mid October) there may be a grey period with torrential rain for a week say, and then the weather suddenly becomes sunny but cooler, the air is crystal clear and when you drive towards Catania from Siracuse or Palermo you get this absolutely staggeringly beautiful view of Etna with the first snow. Concerning possible Expat destinations, some of the nicest places (to live in) that I have seen in Sicily are the villages on the sides of Etna called peasi etnei (Trecastagni, Zafferana Etnea). I suppose you have to get used to living on a Volcano, but the climate is good, vegetation grows well, people are really nice and you are only a few minutes from Catania and its airport. A bit further up you have forests of chestnuts. There is the largest chestnut in the world here http://www.bestofsicily.com/mag/art277.htm though the tree was recently damaged during a village feud.

sunnysider Oct 7th 2013 11:28 am

Sardinia?

Can't help you with the financial aspects (I'm in London) but there are good budget flights between Sardinia and Spain.

Also a ferry.

Both may be seasonal.

6monthshere6monthsthere Oct 9th 2013 3:28 pm

If you want mild in winter you want Sicily
2 years back 26c here in December and Rome had snow!
Edinburgh was locked down with the severe winter that year

Anyway

I am at the foot of Etna by the sea, as i type now I could stand up and toss a rock into the water

Climate here is wonderful and i love love love the volcano, like many when it erupts I am driving towards it not away, i live at the foot of a path that take you straight into the town of Acireale, all bases covered for me.. quiet village here, with 15min walk to city centre, 40mins in the car will take me to 7000feet altitude (on cloudy days, one of the best things to do is to drive up etna as you go above the clouds just as in in aircraft and get brilliant sunshine)

I would recommend ACI TREZZA and Riposto (Great harbour and same distace to etna)

I love the sea so inland locations have zero appeal..

Nora77 Oct 9th 2013 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by ninaDGBCA (Post 10920884)
Tuscany, (Prato, Viareggio, Livorno, Arezzo, Siena, Florence) although I like the whole of Italy :-)

:thumbsup: they say this part of France is perfect for human to live...

Lorna at Vicenza Oct 11th 2013 7:56 am

Originally Posted by Nora77 (Post 10937399)
:thumbsup: they say this part of France is perfect for human to live...

France ????

6monthshere6monthsthere Oct 11th 2013 8:44 am

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza (Post 10939723)
France ????

A lot of French in France:rofl:

Nora77 Oct 12th 2013 11:28 am

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza (Post 10939723)
France ????

south part of France... Provance...greeen forests, warm sun, moderate climate....good wine and good food :)