Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

What's it like bringing up kids in Italy (Pisa)?

What's it like bringing up kids in Italy (Pisa)?

Old Apr 29th 2008, 12:27 pm
Forum Regular

clare-h is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What's it like bringing up kids in Italy (Pisa)?

Originally Posted by Emmis
If you haven't already done so, sort out your residenza so that you can shoot down to your asl/usl and get signed up with doctor. Sign up for Italian lessons. Lunch costs depend on your earnings... and the school will explain all that to you. Food is great but you might want to bring over cereals, marmite, baked beans etc. Esselunga is great for that but obviously it's more expensive than in the UK. Coop is fantastic for organic or fair trade own label stuff but the choice for international things is more limited. Carrefour is ok but I find that I go in thinking it's cheap and then discover individual items are cheaper in Esselunga.... but it's big and clothes are ok especially for kids and dirt cheap. Other than that, if you're in Lucca at any point get in touch!! Crikey I do waffle on about supermarkets...
Love Emma
Hi Emmis
Thanks for all that info - I'm glad of the input for shopping etc it takes a while to get the hang of best places for everything.
Well we are in the house now and just about to get online - taken a while because of the recent holidays.

Would love to meet up soon - still getting unpacked and settling Amy into school etc this week but by next week I might be able to escape for an hour or so.
Ciao Clare
Old Apr 29th 2008, 1:18 pm
Forum Regular

Charlotte T is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Clare,

Where abouts in Bagni di Lucca are you? I live in Montefegatesi with my Italian husband, three year old daughter and 14 month old son. Both my kids were born here and so were automatically registered for health care and schooling (my daughter will start at the Scuola Materna in September) but I know some people with older kids here who know how it all works if you have any questions you still need answers to.

Plus feel free to get in touch if you need someone local to chat to in English!

Charlotte
Old Apr 30th 2008, 4:35 pm
Forum Regular

clare-h is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Charlotte T
Hi Clare,

Where abouts in Bagni di Lucca are you? I live in Montefegatesi with my Italian husband, three year old daughter and 14 month old son. Both my kids were born here and so were automatically registered for health care and schooling (my daughter will start at the Scuola Materna in September) but I know some people with older kids here who know how it all works if you have any questions you still need answers to.

Plus feel free to get in touch if you need someone local to chat to in English!

Charlotte
Hi Charlotte
We are in villa 2 mins from the school. only been here a couple of weeks. I'm not sure where Montefegatasi is exactly but would love to meet up some time.
Amy has already needed to be seen by the peadiatrician and it seemed to work using our EU card or now once we get our residency I will probably need to do something about registering her properly. So many things to learn let alone the language.
Hope to meet you in person soon. Ciao Clare
Old Apr 30th 2008, 6:54 pm
Forum Regular

Charlotte T is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by clare-h
Hi Charlotte
We are in villa 2 mins from the school. only been here a couple of weeks. I'm not sure where Montefegatasi is exactly but would love to meet up some time.
Amy has already needed to be seen by the peadiatrician and it seemed to work using our EU card or now once we get our residency I will probably need to do something about registering her properly. So many things to learn let alone the language.
Hope to meet you in person soon. Ciao Clare
Hi Clare,

Montefegatesi is about 18km above Bagni di Lucca - if you drive around the 'park' in the middle of town you will see it sign posted at a turn off to the right in the right hand corner... Does that make sense?

Would love to meet up. I hope Amy is feeling better now. I know the local peadiatrician well - but that's another story!
Old Apr 30th 2008, 7:36 pm
Forum Regular

Sarah Clarke is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Clare,
Glad the move has all gone well for you. I hope school is going well for Amy too, children adapt so well to new situations - much better than us adults!! I think I told you that we had our children down to go to the school in Bagni di Lucca but then decided we wanted to be a bit nearer to Lucca. We are probably blacklisted as we just didn't show up - neither of us was confident enough to make the 'phone call to tell them we weren't coming!!

If you fancy a coffee or something, give me a shout. I need to come up to Bagni di Lucca to change our address at some point soon. We are in Elba next week but back the following.

Good luck with everything!

Sarah