Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

What's it like bringing up kids in Italy (Pisa)?

What's it like bringing up kids in Italy (Pisa)?

Old Jun 26th 2007, 1:11 pm
Just Joined

ardua is just really niceardua is just really niceardua is just really niceardua is just really niceardua is just really niceardua is just really niceardua is just really niceardua is just really nice
Default Re: What's it like bringing up kids in Italy (Pisa)?

Hi Sarah, Emma & all,
My baby girl arrived last Thursday (10 days early!!) Baby is doing fine. Did everything go okay with your new arrival Sarah?
I am hoping to get back to Lucca as soon as we are able to.
Hi to Charlotte, what type of buildings and restoration projects have you & husband done? As that is what my husband and I do over here in England.
Anh xxx

Originally Posted by Sarah Clarke
Hi Anh,

I am almost 32 weeks now - unbelievable! Big celebrations today as we have finally registered with a doctor and I have my first antenatal appointment tomorrow!!! Aviva! I have had all my main blood tests and scans done in England but we only heard the heartbeat for the first time last week as we booked to have a 4D scan in Florence so we could take our other children too. We have also been to visit Pescia hospital in case anything should happen early - I didn't like the look of the stirrups though! And the fact that they had 2 birthing beds (only) and in the same room which was more like an operating theatre! So different from England but the people were very friendly and helpful. Did you find out what you are having???!

We are still planning on returning to the UK but not until 1st or 2nd May now and I am a little nervous that something may happen en route. We will be going by train! Due date is 20th May ...

I think you are wise to rent first. Getting the area right is so important. Mountain villages are all very well but if you have 4 school runs a day plus 2 football runs as we have today then it is not so practical! It also takes a while to get to know the area. Good luck.

Sarah
Old Jun 26th 2007, 7:28 pm
Just Joined

Mandy Palmerini is an unknown quantity at this point

Hy new to this thread We are an English family planning to move to Tuscany at Xmas but we comming to Italy In August for 4 weeks to have a look at some properties near Camaiore or Lucca . I would like to know if any english families would like to meet up . We are a family of 3 myself 39(i am half Italian) , husband 41 and our son Luca 7. I do work as a Learning Mentor in Secondary education here in England and I have read that so many of you wished there was a english school or playgroup in the area of Lucca or Pisa , I would be very interested in this Idea if anybody else is up for it . Hope to have some replies and thank you for reading my post . Mandy xxxx
Old Jun 26th 2007, 8:22 pm
Forum Regular

Sarah Clarke is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Anh,

Many congratulations on the arrival of your little girl! Well done! What have you called her? We also had a baby girl on the 21st May so she is now 5 weeks old. We got back last Thursday and now need to find someone to translate her birth certificate into Italian ... We have called her Maya (the Old English version pronounced May-a and not My-a). Time is going so quickly and she has changed so much already but I am loving having another baby, even if I do look 65!

I was chatting with Emma this eve and suggested we start up some sort of get together with children/babies as there seem to be quite a few mums around who would like to meet others. What do you think? I would be happy to host the first one at our house near Lucca (15 mins by car, north east). It needn't be too 'coffee morning-ish', perhaps Emma could teach us all Italian!!!

Anyway, congratulations again - hear from you soon...

Sarah
Old Jun 26th 2007, 8:40 pm
Forum Regular

Emmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to all

Hello everyone! I can't believe that after putting this post on the net many moons ago that so many of us live or are looking to live in the Pisa/ Lucca area!! I'm back online now (hurray) but it's as slow as the slowest thing you can think of in slow land having drunk one too many cups of extra strong camomilla ... and the "a" key's not working so typing's fun....
Well, I think the idea of a not-coffee-morning coffee morning sounds ideal. And if you want to set up an international playgroup count me in! I have a 10 month old who is desperate to keep up with his big sis but really needs friends his own age. He keeps trying to stand, convinced, as only the neighbours cats are on all fours, that crawling's not for him!
Anyway, if the weather's nice we're celebrating Gaia's birthday on 15th July at our house in Nozzano. I'm saying if the weather's nice as all crumbs can be hoovered up by the ants and dirt can stay in the dirt!! If you would like to come over please do. Just email me. It would be a great chance to meet up. Luisa where in Lucca are you?
Love Ems xxx
Old Jun 27th 2007, 11:11 am
Just Joined

Mandy Palmerini is an unknown quantity at this point

Hy everyone just wanted to say congratulations to Sarah for your new baby girl . I know that a lot of you probably have known eachother quite a while but I really hope that I can get to know you as well It would make me feel much better moving to Tuscany knowing that there are other english girls with children . I hope that you can give me a chanse. Thank you

Mandy
Old Jun 27th 2007, 11:49 am
Forum Regular

Hi Mandy,

Thanks for your good wishes and good luck with your move. We were looking for houses in August of last year with our (then!) 3 children! Just make sure you have a car with air conditioning!!

If you wanted to meet up whilst you are over in August then give me a shout. Drop me a private message with a contact number and we can arrange to meet up. I have 2 sons, aged 8 and 10 and 2 daughters, aged 5 and 5 weeks.

I guess you must speak good Italian with a surname like that but if we can help in any way, then do ask!

Sarah
Old Jun 27th 2007, 12:24 pm
Just Joined

LUISA COTUGNO is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mandy Palmerini
Hy new to this thread We are an English family planning to move to Tuscany at Xmas but we comming to Italy In August for 4 weeks to have a look at some properties near Camaiore or Lucca . I would like to know if any english families would like to meet up . We are a family of 3 myself 39(i am half Italian) , husband 41 and our son Luca 7. I do work as a Learning Mentor in Secondary education here in England and I have read that so many of you wished there was a english school or playgroup in the area of Lucca or Pisa , I would be very interested in this Idea if anybody else is up for it . Hope to have some replies and thank you for reading my post . Mandy xxxx
hi, we're working on meeting up and getting something organised, i'm getting in touch with a couple of people this week so hopefully by august there will be a few of us for you to meet up with, keep checking here for more news and we'll see you in august
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 2:29 pm
Forum Regular

Hi to everyone!

I thought I would start the ball rolling by organising a get together at my house! If anyone would like to come, then drop me a quick e-mail or private message. Not sure on the date yet but will be some time next week...

We live near to Lucca, about 15 mins by car, in a small village called San Colombano. It's on the NE side and quite easy to find! I can give better directions to those interested... Bring swim things if your kids or you fancy a dip! It'll be coffee and things out of a packet (I think we should ban all home-made cakes so there's no pressure!)

I'll put a message on this thread once I've sorted out a day - see you soon!

Sarah
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 10:16 pm
Forum Regular

Emmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to all
Question Re: What's it like bringing up kids in Italy (Pisa)?

Hi
This is a question for all you ladies out there... and gentlemen if you're reading this too! Are any of you interested in getting your English speaking kids who are attending Italian schools to learn/ improve English reading and writing skills. My little girl is showing signs of wanting to learn to read and write though I think my method (the "I've got a spare half hour NOW so let's sit down while you're in the middle of something else and do some reading" technique) isn't quite working! Mandy I would love to meet up in August and would also love to know if you'd be up for helping me, and any other interested mums, with pre-school and primary school stuff. I wish I had more time but think my daughter would appreciate someone else to guide her and maybe other kids to make it more fun... and less like a Business English lesson (yawn). I don't want her to grow up fluent in Italian but lacking in English skills.
Love Ems xxx
Old Jul 4th 2007, 7:51 am
Forum Regular

DORI DOE is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Ems

I've sent you a pm.

Ciao
Doris
Old Jul 4th 2007, 12:37 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

I know someone here in Florence who has set up English classes for Italian elementary school kids with the help of her local comune. They provided and renovated a room, helped with flyers etc.

She got 40 kids to her first session at €10 a pop!

I think there must be a way of doing something similar for English/half English children. My daughter needs to read and write in English as she is English, so for me it is part of her heritage. I have to get my skates on!
Old Jul 6th 2007, 3:04 pm
Forum Regular

Hi everyone,

Okay, I have a day for a get together at my house if anyone would like to come! Next Thursday 12th July from 2pm. Bring swim stuff if you would like a swim! I hope that works for you Doris and you can fit your working times around it ... Looking forward to meeting some of you soon and understanding the whole conversation!!!

Sarah
PS. Send me a private message with your e-mail and I can send you some directions and our home 'phone number.
Old Aug 6th 2007, 12:47 pm
Forum Regular

DORI DOE is an unknown quantity at this point

Now that the whole of Italy is on holiday it's pretty much impossible to get anything done so I'm closing down my business too. I've got two loungers in my garden and some garden chairs which the children haven't yet broken. So would any mums and tots like to meet up at my place next week for a play and chit chat, and have my children continually splash with water while they jump in and out of their paddling pool?? Sometime late afternoon as it's a bit cooler and babies will have had naps and not be so hyper. I'm just outside Montecatini Terme and I'm free pretty much all week.Contact me by @ or pm and we'll try to choose a day that suits.

hope to hear from you all soon.

Bye
Doris
Old Aug 6th 2007, 8:03 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Doris,

Yes, I would love to come over with the kids if you really mean to bring them all! I will need some directions - did you come via the motorway when you came to Lucca last week? Most days are doable for me but Friday would be a problem. Also, we have some friends staying so it would depend a little on what they were up to. Can you send me your number again and I will give you a call.

Sarah x
Old Sep 7th 2007, 7:03 pm
Forum Regular

clare-h is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello to everyone in this thread - what a relief to find you.

We are moving out to Bagni Di Lucca - due to complete house purchase after xmas. There's me (41) my husband (44) and our daughter (nearly 7) - it's great to hear how you've all managed with schools etc - my main worry at the moment. Having taken the big step financially and committed everything to this move - I hope she's going to settle in OK - So far she's excited by the prospect of making new friends and learning to speak and new language - without sibblings to learn with I think it might be tough.

We are coming out 1st week of October to visit the local school - as it's been holidays every time we've been so it's still the big unknown. Any help or advice on what we should ask/find out would be much appreciated.

Also does anyone else on this thread live in or near Bagni di Lucca?

Also does anyone know a good private tutor who might help her get a grip with the basics before we go or once we get there. We live in Kent for the time being.

Can anyone recommend a reliable but cheap removals firm?

Bound to be loads more questions in the lead up to the move all advice much appreciated thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.