Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

WHAT TO YOU WISH YOU HAD LEARNT TO DO?

WHAT TO YOU WISH YOU HAD LEARNT TO DO?

Old May 13th 2008, 1:10 pm
Forum Regular

irish girl in italy is just really niceirish girl in italy is just really niceirish girl in italy is just really niceirish girl in italy is just really niceirish girl in italy is just really niceirish girl in italy is just really niceirish girl in italy is just really niceirish girl in italy is just really nice
Default WHAT TO YOU WISH YOU HAD LEARNT TO DO?

For example I always wanted to be able to sing!

Or even fly an aeroplane that one would be real handy no more worrying about over weight luggage!

Any ideas?
Old May 13th 2008, 1:12 pm
Forum Regular

irish girl in italy is just really niceirish girl in italy is just really niceirish girl in italy is just really niceirish girl in italy is just really niceirish girl in italy is just really niceirish girl in italy is just really niceirish girl in italy is just really niceirish girl in italy is just really nice
Default Re: WHAT TO YOU WISH YOU HAD LEARNT TO DO?

Or my third thing could be learn to spell!

WHAT DO YOU WISH
Old May 13th 2008, 2:29 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

I kind of regret never learning to play the piano well.
I only got as far as the recorder and I have since also forgotten how to read sheet music.
I can sing though pretty well and was always given the solos at school - but I'd never win Pop Idol.
And I regret not seeing more of the world before I had kids .... but in those days I never had any money either so ... sod's law ! I can still travel later on.
Old May 14th 2008, 8:27 am
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

Fly a helicopter. Been in one, but I'd be too scared to fly it I think!

Not take advice from my olders and betters at a younger age! Would have seen more of the world by now and probably taken a chance on being a designer - I did learn to do that, just never used it in the big wide world, my big sister told me to get married instead ( and I listened!!). My sister still thinks I'm weird not living round the corner from her (like my other sister does).

Draw properly, still working on that one!

Speak Italian....
Old May 14th 2008, 8:34 am
Forum Regular

Beep is a jewel in the roughBeep is a jewel in the roughBeep is a jewel in the roughBeep is a jewel in the rough

I would have liked to learn to jump sidesaddle.......was ok on the flat but chickened out when it came to jumps

In fact I would have liked to ' learn ' more bravery and self confidence .if you have them then you can still do anything.
Old May 14th 2008, 8:52 am
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beep
I would have liked to learn to jump sidesaddle.......was ok on the flat but chickened out when it came to jumps

In fact I would have liked to ' learn ' more bravery and self confidence .if you have them then you can still do anything.

Me too! But then we must have it for some things - we moved countries after all! I have one friend whose husband doesn't like leaving the village they live in! And don't get me started on my family!!
Old May 14th 2008, 9:12 am
Forum Regular

I agree with that comment about bravery it wasn't easy for me to up and leave my family, home, car, friends job way of life all in the name of LOVE. But, here I am many years later, still struggling I might also add but I've got over the worst bits I think!

Anway getting a little bit off the thread here.
Old May 14th 2008, 9:20 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Just to liven you up again girls .....

I wish I had learnt more about Anne Summers years ago .................
Old May 14th 2008, 12:24 pm
phoebepianoforte

phoebeluton is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=Lorna at Vicenza;6344632]I kind of regret never learning to play the piano well.
I only got as far as the recorder and I have since also forgotten how to read sheet music.

i sometimes wish i had never started the piano! its a never ending game. there is always more to learn always more practise to do, and at the end of it there is virtually no work for musicians!
i wish i had wanted to be a doctor!
Old May 14th 2008, 2:01 pm
Forum Regular

ballerina will become famous soon enough

[QUOTE=phoebeluton;6349186]
Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
I kind of regret never learning to play the piano well.

i sometimes wish i had never started the piano! its a never ending game. there is always more to learn always more practise to do, and at the end of it there is virtually no work for musicians!
i wish i had wanted to be a doctor!
I wish I had learnt to speak Italian properly!

I also wish that I had kept up with the tons of stuff I have learnt: all the instruments I used to play but have been abandoned for years, all the languages I learnt but never really used.. in other words I wish i'd learnt to be a master of all trades instead of a jack of none! but there is still time to pick things up again!

Oh and i really wish i'd learnt how to drive becasue I reckon I have left it way too late now!
Old May 14th 2008, 3:37 pm
The Original Red Head!

Why ballerina? What's too old? I can drive. I learnt when I was 21 but had had an accident when I was younger during a lesson. So I passed my test then didn't drive again until I was 32 and pregnant with my son - never looked back. Even if you are now going to tell me you are 60 or 70 I think if you find a sympathetic instructor you are never too old until the law says you are - why not get your preliminary licence anyway and have a lesson or two, what do you have to lose doing that?!
Old May 14th 2008, 3:50 pm
Forum Regular

ballerina will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by TestaRossa
Why ballerina? What's too old? I can drive. I learnt when I was 21 but had had an accident when I was younger during a lesson. So I passed my test then didn't drive again until I was 32 and pregnant with my son - never looked back. Even if you are now going to tell me you are 60 or 70 I think if you find a sympathetic instructor you are never too old until the law says you are - why not get your preliminary licence anyway and have a lesson or two, what do you have to lose doing that?!
umm well, I always said that i would learn to drive when I moved to Italy (seeing as the Italians have a particular 'style' of driving' and now that I am here..well I am too gutless (and lazy) to do anything about it! I had a go on a motorino a couple of years ago when I first got here.. thought it would be like riding a horse, you never forget (another thing i wish i still did now!) but i was a danger to everyone on the road AND the pavement! (and have you SEEN how people drive in Rome? even my fella (italian himself) says they need to learn how to read stop signs and use the indicators! It is one of the things on my list of 'stuff i must do but in a couple of years when I am settled down'

Something to add to my things i wish I had learned list:

ride a bike (on the road) when I was a kid. I was about the only kid at school not to do the Cycling Proficiency test because my mum wouldn't let me have a bike after my friend was knocked over by a car and died.

swim in the sea/tread water. I really miss out when I go to the beach here, because Im not really into sunbathing but i can't swim in the sea (i can barely swim!). I had to teach myself to swim and as such, avoided going in the deep end!! i ahve heard it is really easy though so I am definitely going to give it a shot this summer! (teh sea around Italy doesn't have sharks does it?)
Old May 14th 2008, 4:21 pm
The Original Red Head!

I admit I can't swim either, but it's not on my list of things to do!

I wish I could knit properly, you know, like your mum or gran did, while watching tv and it still looked like a sweater?

I wish I had learned to say "No" to that last bit of chocolate/ice-cream/chip which then became 10 and then translated to a massive bum and everything else!

I wish had done drama - I might own Sting's place now! But then that last chip etc. wouldn't have helped would it?
Old May 15th 2008, 7:08 am

swim in the sea/tread water. I really miss out when I go to the beach here, because Im not really into sunbathing but i can't swim in the sea (i can barely swim!).

If you're not terrified of water you're already streets ahead of other people.
I used to think it was strange that so many Italians can't swim (all the sea and lakes here etc.), but I know now that hardly any of them ever got swimming lessons through school.

There are loads of courses though - for adults too - so get yourself signed up for one and you'll soon be swimming in the sea
Old May 15th 2008, 8:49 am
Forum Regular

cornishvellan has a reputation beyond reputecornishvellan has a reputation beyond reputecornishvellan has a reputation beyond reputecornishvellan has a reputation beyond reputecornishvellan has a reputation beyond reputecornishvellan has a reputation beyond reputecornishvellan has a reputation beyond reputecornishvellan has a reputation beyond reputecornishvellan has a reputation beyond reputecornishvellan has a reputation beyond reputecornishvellan has a reputation beyond repute

the list is endless but here's a few:

1) learnt to drive properly (I passed the test here in Italy back in 1996 but never drove again).

2) learnt to knit

3) learnt to make fresh pasta

4) learnt by my mistakes (I never do)

5) learnt to have the guts to tell my husband's family where to go when they p****ed me off

6) been more of a bitch

7) to be more positive about my body and experienced sex with more men!!!

8) to have understood the importance of education and got my degree at a younger age

...and they came off the top of my head, if I were to sit down and really think about it, well...!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.