Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

What are you guys doing through this crisis?

What are you guys doing through this crisis?

Old Mar 27th 2020, 3:14 pm
Forum Regular

Johnbologna63 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What are you guys doing through this crisis?

Been spending a lot of time in the garden tidying up and sorting out stuff that I've neglected over the years. I have to make the most of what i have here as i can't pop down to the garden center for materials and plants. Even tidied up my shed which I've avoided for an eternity. Now and then i'll binge watch a series on Netflix. For a long time I've taken an interest in vlogging so have been brushing up online, thank you internet, on photography and related stuff. It's given me the time to focus on other stuff unrelated to my work, which is a plus for me. I know it's difficult for people in lock down, confined to an area with limited space, but what are you guys doing to pass the time?
Old Mar 27th 2020, 5:30 pm
Forum Regular

Casagialla is a jewel in the roughCasagialla is a jewel in the roughCasagialla is a jewel in the roughCasagialla is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: What are you guys doing through this crisis?

I've also cleaned out the shed! it's one of thsoe jobs that you never have time for ---until now!
Old Mar 27th 2020, 7:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute

Learning Italian on Duolingo, it's great!
Old Mar 28th 2020, 12:17 am
Forum Regular

Lugsbug has a brilliant futureLugsbug has a brilliant futureLugsbug has a brilliant futureLugsbug has a brilliant futureLugsbug has a brilliant futureLugsbug has a brilliant futureLugsbug has a brilliant futureLugsbug has a brilliant future

I've been doing some decorating upstairs plus gardening when the sun is out.

Geordieborn - I have been using Rosetta Stone but it doesn't really engage me - maybe I'll try Duolingo
Old Mar 28th 2020, 12:14 pm
Forum Regular

Johnbologna63 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Geordieborn
Learning Italian on Duolingo, it's great!
Must add that to my list of things to do
Old Apr 3rd 2020, 9:50 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

I have learned and taught my son how to do graphs and pie charts on Excel and learned that a pie chart is a grafico a torta in Italian. That wasn't exactly fun though.
I have opened the messy kitchen drawer with the intention of cleaning it out and then thought, "nah ..... it's been fine this way for years? Why mess it up now?" so I closed it again.
I successfully managed to let Telecom know that my internet was totally dead by doing a "segnalazione" to 187 using only the keypad on my mobile. I also successfully used my mobile screenshot and forward their SMS reply and progress reports to Alex's head teacher to let school know why he might not have a great connection to any video lessons or miss some and that neither of us had a lot of giga to spare. Always a good idea to keep school informed just in case they thought he was sleeping all day. It took Telecom 3 days to fix the problem which included replacing phone lines/cables.
I have evicted the teddies and cuddly toys from the top of the bookshelves and given them all a turn in the washing machine.
Alex and I have successfully repaired the catch/latch on the dishwasher door which wouldn't stay shut. Much better a practical and manual lesson rather than watching a YouTube video and answering questions on how a virus becomes a pandemic. Aren't we all sick of Corona talk now so I wished the teacher could have chosen a different subject?
I have successfully helped my daughter who is stuck in Australia to fill out the online forms for a new visa application and pay for it even if it was 6am here when she called me.
I have woken up during the night several times after terrible nightmares.
I am sick of cooking so I am avoiding any social media posts about using this time to learn new recipes.
I have had some lovely video calls from old friends and a Zoom meeting with new ones.
I have played old board games with Alex who finally beat me at draughts after working out not to let his pieces get blocked into a corner. he still can't beat me at Connect 4 though.
And I have spent hours and hours reading, watching films, doing puzzles and quizzes.
I have discovered my inner lazy as anything side and I'm getting to know her quite well.

Old Apr 3rd 2020, 1:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute

Rummikub...
Old Apr 3rd 2020, 2:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

I have been watching a few of Alberto Sordi's old comedy movies. My favourite so far is the il Medico della Mutua about an unscrupulous and ambitious doctor pushed on by his grasping mother. Il Mafioso and Una Vita Diffcile are good too.
Old Apr 5th 2020, 8:48 am
Forum Regular

mothra is an unknown quantity at this point

Right before lockdown I brightened up the balcony with some plants. Sensing that it might go on for a long time, I also bought two quite large shallow containers and planted some grass seeds. Now, every other day, I'm trimming green grass with the kitchen scissors.
I've also started drawing again, something which had fallen behind after years of ongoing mental procrastination.
The flat is cleaner than ever, and the dog is finally learning basic obedience. I also get some exercise done.
Although this could seem quite normal, it's mostly done in a state of underlying panic and sadness. The nightmares are there every single night. Despite full knowledge that this will all pass eventually, I still find it overwhelming, with a storm of rationality and irrationality blustering in my headspace.
Oh, and on a lighter note, we're attempting various ways of making bread without yeast. And I'm planning to engage my husband in a few youtube tutorials on basic moves from the the "Mazurca" and "Valtzer" dance styles.
Old Apr 5th 2020, 10:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Sounds nice and relaxing mothra, lovely....
Old Apr 5th 2020, 12:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond repute

Not with the nightmares and panic and sadness!
Old Apr 5th 2020, 1:50 pm
Forum Regular

mothra is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Geordieborn
Sounds nice and relaxing mothra, lovely....
Well in a surreal way it is, but perhaps more than relaxing.... feeling detached and overwhelmed, whilst seemly carrying out mundane activities. Has anyone else experienced this?

Originally Posted by Pica
Not with the nightmares and panic and sadness!
Exactly, that's what capsizes the boat.
Old Apr 5th 2020, 2:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

BBC Radio 3 is relaxing. An absolute minimum of news.
Old Apr 5th 2020, 8:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Come on, get a grip...
Old Apr 6th 2020, 7:59 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

After 20 years of being here I have started having a cup of tea and slice of cake at 4pm - back to my Yorkshire habits.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.