Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

What do I need to apply for residency in Italy?

What do I need to apply for residency in Italy?

Old Sep 29th 2019, 8:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

C.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do I need to apply for residency in Italy?

So presumably, having read the information on the link you have given, you now agree that it is not correct to say that EU countries have the right to refuse anyone who does not have sufficient funds and health insurance? Only the information here clearly states "if not working". I understand, as others have said, pensioners can supply an S1 form instead - but I confess I haven't done this myself. And I don't know the situation for students but I'd be surprised if they all have private insurance and evidence of 6000 in the bank! 😀

In terms of my comments about the legality of what commune ask for, well I was really speculating about the idea that if commune across the country are asking for different things they can't all be correctly interpreting the legal situation... I'm not claiming to be a legal expert, so I apologise for thinking out loud.

​​​​​I do wonder if it's a little bit dangerous to respond to the original post (as you did) by saying simply that you must produce evidence of health insurance and sufficient funds, when this is clearly not always the case. Especially when you didn't ask the OP about their situation. It may well be correct to say that you were asked to provide health insurance etc, or indeed that some commune ask for things like this, but it does not mean that this is something that is applicable to everyone in every place. And if they are asking working people to provide this then it does seem not to be following the EU rules.

Obviously this will probably become somewhat academic in the very near future....
Old Sep 30th 2019, 9:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute

I think a lot of the time it is the way we read and interpret things. To me it is clear if you are employed or self-employed you will have to provide proof of funds by way of a contract or for the self-employed accounts. One of the main reasons I came to this conclusion is reading some many post in the past from those in this category and their woes in trying to convince those in power that they satisfy such rules.
Old Sep 30th 2019, 9:15 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by C.2s

​​​​​I do wonder if it's a little bit dangerous to respond to the original post (as you did) by saying simply that you must produce evidence of health insurance and sufficient funds, when this is clearly not always the case.
37100 did say in her post that "it is best to ask the comune exactly what they want as it can vary slightly" so she didn't simply mention health insurance and sufficient funds.

Old Sep 30th 2019, 9:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute

I’ve heard of stories whereby the comune told those applying that the UK was not in the EU (witch!) because they don’t have the Euro…. It took them a visit to Rome and near on 2 years to get residency!
Old Sep 30th 2019, 9:32 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geordieborn
I’ve heard of stories whereby the comune told those applying that the UK was not in the EU (witch!) because they don’t have the Euro…. It took them a visit to Rome and near on 2 years to get residency!
There are plenty of horror stories out there and it must be awful for those who can't speak Italian well enough to argue with the hopeless and uneducated twits regularly found behind a glass partition.
Old Oct 1st 2019, 10:07 am
BE Forum Addict

HADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond repute

I found all the details I needed on the council website . My local council asked me for 5 years CUID , photo copy of my TAX Id and ID card and was delighted to see my ancient pale blue ' permesso di soggiorno ' which I've had to give them . I paid 16 eur stamp duty for the request and 16 on the document and the process took about 3 weeks . The very kind and articulate man who dealt with me asked a few questions about my job and pointed out that in theory the document is for EU residents which means it might not continue to be valid much longer , but then , who knows .... I'm fed up with jokes about becoming ' extracomunitario ' in a country where I've worked for 30 years and the complete lack of certainty .