Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

What do I need to apply for residency in Italy?

What do I need to apply for residency in Italy?

Old Aug 30th 2019, 1:20 pm
Just Joined

NatVen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What do I need to apply for residency in Italy?

Hi all, I'm new here, but I'm in some desperate need of advice. We have recently returned from Ostuni in Puglia after deciding to rent a villa for a year to get residency. We are UK residents at the moment, but plan to move over at the start of October and need to apply for residency ASAP because of the situation with Brexit. I've been trying to find out exactly what we need to register at the Ufficio Anagrafe in Ostuni. we have a rental cotract and of course our passports. What else though? Also I've heard that it may be a good idea to book an appointment prior to us getting there so that we can get this sorted. Is that necessary, or just for larger cities like Rome etc.?
Old Aug 30th 2019, 1:54 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do I need to apply for residency in Italy?

Originally Posted by NatVen
Hi all, I'm new here, but I'm in some desperate need of advice. We have recently returned from Ostuni in Puglia after deciding to rent a villa for a year to get residency. We are UK residents at the moment, but plan to move over at the start of October and need to apply for residency ASAP because of the situation with Brexit. I've been trying to find out exactly what we need to register at the Ufficio Anagrafe in Ostuni. we have a rental cotract and of course our passports. What else though? Also I've heard that it may be a good idea to book an appointment prior to us getting there so that we can get this sorted. Is that necessary, or just for larger cities like Rome etc.?
You'll need to show proof of health insurance and an income or a bank statements showing around €6.000 p.a. It is best to ask the comune exactly what they want as it can vary slightly.
Old Aug 30th 2019, 2:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

clint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really nice

We live near Ostuni in addition to what 37100 stated you will need a translation of your documents (passport marriage certificate) if you are in receipt of state age pension then you will need to supply the S1 form instead of private health insurance although with current brexit disaster they might still insist on health insurance. Ostuni might also ask you to fill in a form ( you can get that at the anagrafe office)
Old Aug 30th 2019, 4:03 pm
Just Joined

NatVen is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 37100
You'll need to show proof of health insurance and an income or a bank statements showing around €6.000 p.a. It is best to ask the comune exactly what they want as it can vary slightly.
Thank-you that's very helpful.
Old Aug 30th 2019, 5:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

C.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond repute

It's good that you're getting advice that's more local, but it can even vary within a few kilometres depending on which commune you live in. We didn't have to provide evidence of income (only a self certification letter), any evidence of health insurance (only a photocopy of our EHICs), or translations of documents. In theory any EU citizen has the right to move and live in another country, without having to provide evidence of income, health insurance, etc. As for translations of documents we've heard of people who were asked to do this, but when they politely pointed out that a passport doesn't really include very much that can be translated and is needed for residency (ie. you can't translate your name, date of birth and place of birth), the commune said that they didn't need the translation after all. I think maybe it depends if the local area wants to encourage people to live there, though often it's often just a jobsworth attitude amongst the staff. But it certainly won't hurt to go and talk to the commune if you have the opportunity.
Old Sep 6th 2019, 10:17 am
Forum Regular

a_grz_vr is a jewel in the rougha_grz_vr is a jewel in the rougha_grz_vr is a jewel in the rougha_grz_vr is a jewel in the rough

Hello. I'm already in Italy dealing with the same issue. A while ago a user on this site sent me the link for the requirements in Vicenza:
https://www.comune.vicenza.it/cittad...hp/42722,79204
I don't live there and you won't be going there either, but this webpage is organised really well. The same information on the Milan website is quite messy. Another thing is that the comune staff don't know that much about the situation. I phoned them many times for in depth information and they didn't know half of the stuff I did. They told me to go directly to the ufficio anagrafe to ask all of my questions.
Old Sep 17th 2019, 4:24 pm
Forum Regular

a_grz_vr is a jewel in the rougha_grz_vr is a jewel in the rougha_grz_vr is a jewel in the rougha_grz_vr is a jewel in the rough

I went to the ufficio anagrafe in MIlan a few weeks ago to ask loads of questions about residency.

You definitely need your codice fiscale...if I'm not wrong you can actually get that from the Italian Consulate in the UK...although I got mine in Italy years ago from the agenzia delle entrate. You can get one of these codes instantly.

In Milan, where I am now, I just found out that you MUST book the appointment for residency, from what I've understood there isn't any other way to do it. Here in Milan it takes a very long time to get an appointment, and then you have to wait about 3 months afterwards in order to get residency. This is Milan though, where there are more people for the comune to deal with, so it's slower.

If you are employed, your work contract has to be valid for minimum six months, but they had to think about it in order to give me an answer. They initially didn't actually know how to answer my question. This may depend however on where you go. The minimum salary earned per year isn't taken into account. Here in MIlan, only one pay slip, the most recent one is sufficient and they don't necessarily need an employer's letter of reference or anything.
The comune di Vicenza website say the 2 pay slips are necessary, plus the employer's letter etc.

If you're unemployed, along with the annual health insurance, you need to show you have sufficient money to live, and I was suprisingly told (just a few weeks ago in person) that they only want to see 5,000 euros. Another thing is that you don't know when they will check. They might check when you've just handed in your forms during your appointment, or even months afterwards. Although they might not check at all.

Along with the rental contracts, you need the registration of the contracts from the agenzia delle entrate.

If anyone else lives in the house with you, and there isn't any kind of family relationship with them, you don't even need to state their names on the form (even though there is a space for their names). You just cross the box underneath to say there isn't any kind of family tie. This is all to do with the "dichiarazione di residenza" form, the 4th page I think. I was told that you don't need to provide their ID either.
This can make a huge difference because in my house for example I'm the only one with a contract. I was afraid I needed to provide everyone's ID and contracts (which they don't have). This would've made residency impossible for me.
Old Sep 17th 2019, 9:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, but like you hint, each comune is/can be different in their requirements.
Old Sep 17th 2019, 9:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

C.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geordieborn
Agreed.

I suspect that they can't really refuse anyone...given the fact that anyone who lives in any EU country has the basic right to reside in any other EU country all these rules about having certain income etc probably wouldn't stand up to any legal challenge...but try telling that to the local commune staff! 😀
Old Sep 17th 2019, 10:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ps. Here's a link to the relevant EU advice https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizen...e/index_en.htm
Old Sep 23rd 2019, 11:48 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Geordieborn
Yes, just to make it more "fun"...
Old Sep 23rd 2019, 6:55 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by C.2s
Agreed.

I suspect that they can't really refuse anyone...given the fact that anyone who lives in any EU country has the basic right to reside in any other EU country all these rules about having certain income etc probably wouldn't stand up to any legal challenge...but try telling that to the local commune staff! 😀
Host countries are perfectly entitled, under the eu directive, to refuse residency to any one who does not have sufficient funds and health insurance.
Old Sep 24th 2019, 10:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 37100
Host countries are perfectly entitled, under the eu directive, to refuse residency to any one who does not have sufficient funds and health insurance.
Interesting. Where did you find that information? The link I posted above seems to read as though that requirement only applies to pensioners and students
Old Sep 25th 2019, 9:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute

Employed would have and income and pay INPS.
Old Sep 26th 2019, 7:57 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by C.2s
Interesting. Where did you find that information? The link I posted above seems to read as though that requirement only applies to pensioners and students
Free movement of persons | Fact Sheets on the European Union | European Parliament

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.