Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

What is the best (cheapest) Italian bank

What is the best (cheapest) Italian bank

Old Jun 29th 2011, 7:11 am
BE Enthusiast

nicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond repute
Default What is the best (cheapest) Italian bank

Hi
I'm having problems with my Italian bank Intesa Sanpaolo. To get residency I had to open a (non-resident) bank account and transfer 5500 Euros so I opened an account in the above bank. One month later I was unable to access my money to pay my rent. Last week as my residency has been accepted (although I havn't got the final document) I went to get a Bancomat card and open an internet banking convention that cost me about 40 Euros. What is particularly annoying is that the bank sent the pin numbers to the UK even though they know I live next door and had shown them my residency documents! Not only that, the price of a bank transfer is 2.5 Euros and even over the internet it is 1.5 Euros. I was told that things would be cheaper when I finally get my residency but I would then have to change my bank account and number although I have already communicated my bank details to clients.
Needless to say I am very annoyed and would like to start again with an other bank, even an internet bank account? Does anyone have any advice?
Thanks in advance

Last edited by nicktonight; Jun 29th 2011 at 7:25 am.
Old Jun 29th 2011, 10:06 am
Forum Regular

Cashmere Kate is just really niceCashmere Kate is just really niceCashmere Kate is just really niceCashmere Kate is just really niceCashmere Kate is just really niceCashmere Kate is just really niceCashmere Kate is just really niceCashmere Kate is just really nice
Default Re: What is the best (cheapest) Italian bank

Conto Corrente Arancio is what I recommend.

I was with Intesa Sanpaolo but they sold my branch to Cariparma without telling me and service was appalling so I opened Conto Corrente Arancio. You do everything on line, it has a debit card and a credit card included and costs nothing if you get your salary paid in every month or have at least €3000 in there (even if you don't, you only pay the bolli at €8.55 every quarter). So far, I've found them very efficient.
Old Jun 29th 2011, 10:09 am
BE Enthusiast

nicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Kate

Thats sounds a very good idea!

Nicholas

Last edited by nicktonight; Jun 29th 2011 at 10:41 am.
Old Jun 29th 2011, 10:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Hello Kate

I tried to open one these accounts both by internet and by telephone but was unable to as I don't have an Italian Identity card or Passport. How did you manage then?
Thanks very much for your help

Nicholas
Old Jun 29th 2011, 10:49 am
Forum Regular

Cashmere Kate is just really niceCashmere Kate is just really niceCashmere Kate is just really niceCashmere Kate is just really niceCashmere Kate is just really niceCashmere Kate is just really niceCashmere Kate is just really niceCashmere Kate is just really nice

You mentioned that you got residency last week. Go along to the Comune and get yourself an identity card!
Old Jun 29th 2011, 11:13 am
BE Enthusiast

I didn't realise they gave you an ID card here (I was in France before and EC residents no longer get a "carte de séjour). I will have to go and get one then now the Vigile has passed! Thanks again for your suggestion
Old Jun 29th 2011, 11:15 am
Forum Regular

If the Vigile only came last week, you might have to wait a bit for them to get their paperwork in order. I had to wait a month to get my first identity card but it depends where you live.
Old Jun 29th 2011, 2:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

Italian banks cant convert a non resident account to a resident one, so it will have to be closed and a new resident account opened with different cc number etc etc.

The online banks are much cheaper, until you try and do certain things. Fineco is one of the cheapest Ive found - virtually free. Ive just switched to Unicredit - genius 1 account - 1 euro per month. cant complain.
Old Jun 29th 2011, 2:20 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by modicasa
The online banks are much cheaper, until you try and do certain things.
Just out of interest, what are these 'certain things'? I haven't had my online account for long but I've been able to do everything I needed so far. The only thing I can imagine could be difficult would be if you had to deposit large amounts of cash or a cheque. For cash, you have to go to a 'normal' bank and they would charge for transferring the money to your online account. A cheque needs to be sent by post. But as I never receive cheques, I'm not that worrried about it.
Old Jun 29th 2011, 2:25 pm
Forum Regular

I just Googled Genius 1 to have a look and I think it could possibly be the best bank account in the world!

"Ha un canone chiaro, solo 1 euro al mese e tanti servizi inclusi come la carta Bancomat Internazionale V PAY che ti premia con un iPhone al giorno e una Tv Led 55'' al mese."

If it gives me an iPhone every day and a LED TV every month, I'm definitely switching!!!
Old Jun 30th 2011, 6:25 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

Online banks arent much good with officialdom - if you want to do an F24 for example, you cant. You have to take the cash out and go somewhere else. Not being able to bank cheques is a real pain for me - which is why I opted for unicredit. Ive not received any monthly prizes Cashmere Kate - it must be in the small print!
Old Jun 30th 2011, 6:35 am
Forum Regular

I've actually just done my F24 with Conto Corrente Arancio!

But if you get a lot of cheques, it's not the solution for you.

Let me know if you have any iphones going spare any time soon!
Old Jun 30th 2011, 6:53 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

You can do you F24 at your banca here too.
Old Jul 1st 2011, 5:48 am
BE Forum Addict

sorry peeps I meant F23, payments for successions and the like....
Old Jul 1st 2011, 8:13 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by modicasa
sorry peeps I meant F23, payments for successions and the like....
Hubby managed it in our bank, but only after he almost wacked the teller and showed him how to do it. But I suppose it depends on whether your bank has the concession.