British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Italy (https://britishexpats.com/forum/italy-77/)
-   -   We was Brung Up - proper!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/italy-77/we-brung-up-proper-763024/)

Garbatellamike Jun 27th 2012 6:27 am

We was Brung Up - proper!!

WE WAS BRUNG UP PROPER !! - AHH THE OLDEN DAYS :)

"And we never had a whole Mars bar until 1993"!!!

CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL MY FRIENDS WHO WERE BORN IN THE
1940's, 50's, and 60's

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank Sherry while they carried us and lived in houses made of asbestos...
They took aspirin, ate blue cheese, bread and dripping, raw egg products, loads of bacon and processed meat, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes or cervical cancer.
Then after that trauma, our baby cots were covered with bright coloured lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets or shoes, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking.

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags.
We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle.
Take away food was limited to fish and chips, no pizza shops, McDonalds , KFC, Subway or Nandos.

Even though all the shops closed at 6.00pm and didn't open on a Sunday, somehow we didn't starve to death!

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.

We could collect old drink bottles and cash them in at the corner store and buy Toffees, Gobstoppers and Bubble Gum.

We ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter,milk from the cow,and drank soft drinks with sugar in it, but we weren't overweight because......
WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.
No one was able to reach us all day. And we were O..K.
We would spend hours building our go-carts out of old prams and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. We built tree houses and dens and played in river beds with matchbox cars.

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo Wii , X-boxes, no video games at all, no 999 channels on SKY ,
no video/dvd films, or colour TV
no mobile phones, no personal computers, no Internet or Internet chat rooms..........WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no
Lawsuits from these accidents.

Only girls had pierced ears!

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

You could only buy Easter Eggs and Hot Cross Buns at Easter time....

We were given air guns and catapults for our 10th birthdays,

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just yelled for them!

Mum didn't have to go to work to help dad make ends meet because we didn't need to keep up with the Jones's!

Not everyone made the rugby/football/cricket/netball team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!! Getting into the team was based on
MERIT

Our teachers used to hit us with canes and gym shoes and throw the blackboard rubber at us if they thought we weren't concentrating .
We can string sentences together and spell and have proper conversations because of a good, solid three R's education.

Our parents would tell us to ask a stranger to help us cross the road.
The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of.
They actually sided with the law!

Our parents didn't invent stupid names for their kids like 'Kiora' and 'Blade' and 'Ridge' and 'Vanilla'

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned HOW TO
DEAL WITH IT ALL !

You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated our lives for our own good :confused:

Lorna at Vicenza Jun 27th 2012 8:41 am

Re: We was Brung Up - proper!!

I've seen different versions of this and always liked it.
It's how my sisters and I grew up - but we didn't eat the worms we found when making mud pies. Us girls used to make 'perfume' as well from rose petals. Sometimes we were girly making daisy chains and perfume. Sometimes we were tomboys making dens and rope swings and racing go-karts and climbing trees. Rounders was popular on our Avenue.

We had a couple of shitty neighbours too that we avoided because we were not allowed to cheek them or be rude. One old cow never ever let anybody get a ball back. They must have found 100s of different balls in her house when she died. Another used to come out with a camera if we got too close to her house right at the bottom end of the avenue and threaten to send our pictures to the police.

Most of the above is why I like the social life here that my children have.
I used to think it would be nice to have a house with a garden but the square/Quartiere that we live in is so much more valuable to them. Even kids who do live close by in lovely little villas with perfect gardens come to play in the Quartiere.
There is always company for the kids and kids of all ages hang out. The road around the square is smooth and great for skates, bikes and skateboards. It's semi-private and not next to any main roads.
Now that they're all on holidays they are out until they get called in at dinner time and they all go back out after dinner. Yesterday about 12 of them were having a water fight out there.

If my kids are inside they have to get up and answer the citofono now because I am sick of answering it to find some kid saying "Alex viene fuori?" o "C'è Chloe?"

ononno Jun 27th 2012 9:12 am

:DExactly so. Glad I'm not the only nostalgic old git on here.
ciao for now,
'o nonno

johnnyj Jun 27th 2012 9:58 am

Your not, I can remember doing all of that and more besides, all without fear of being abducted/molested or any of the other bad stuff that seems to be the norm these days. You do see the children here being able to behave in this way though, so stepping back in time does have it good points!

K in Modena Jun 27th 2012 12:35 pm

I wasn't born in any of those decades ('70s) but I spent my childhood out on my bike, climbing trees, making "perfume", playing in fields and streams and knocking on my friends' doors to ask if they could play out. We didn't have a computer until I was a teenager and I'm pretty sure our TV was black and white when I was very little.

And only recently my mum was saying "we didn't know any of that" when we were talking about what you can/can't eat in pregnancy!

ononno Jun 27th 2012 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by K in Modena (Post 10141943)
I wasn't born in any of those decades ('70s) but I spent my childhood out on my bike, climbing trees, making "perfume", playing in fields and streams and knocking on my friends' doors to ask if they could play out. We didn't have a computer until I was a teenager and I'm pretty sure our TV was black and white when I was very little.

And only recently my mum was saying "we didn't know any of that" when we were talking about what you can/can't eat in pregnancy!

:lol:
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be!.
ciao for now,
'o nonno

Garbatellamike Jun 27th 2012 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by K in Modena (Post 10141943)
I wasn't born in any of those decades ('70s)

K your are right I should have included the 70s too - mi dispiace molto

ononno Jun 28th 2012 7:21 am

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 10142507)

:DGood grief, you can't possibly talk 'nostalgia' to somebody born after my kids were born. I'd want to thump them if the claimed 'nostalgia' status; being born in the 60's.
You can only claim 'nostalgia' status if you can remember getting a telly for the coronation, Dick Barton Special Agent and Much Binding in the Marsh on the wireless, and burning your ration books on bonfire night 1953.
ciao for now
'o nonno

K in Modena Jun 28th 2012 7:39 am

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 10142507)

Non c'è problema Mike, not all of the above apply to me. No canes at school, and I didn't learn formal English grammar until I did my TEFL course aged about 23. And who's trying to claim "nostalgia" status Ononno? Whatever that means? :p

ononno Jun 28th 2012 9:44 am

Originally Posted by K in Modena (Post 10143594)
Non c'è problema Mike, not all of the above apply to me. No canes at school, and I didn't learn formal English grammar until I did my TEFL course aged about 23. And who's trying to claim "nostalgia" status Ononno? Whatever that means? :p

;)I should probably have said 'old git' status; and I'm sure that can't apply to you; being a 70's born young sprog.
ciao for now,
'o nonno

Lorna at Vicenza Jun 28th 2012 10:06 am

Originally Posted by ononno (Post 10143786)
;)I should probably have said 'old git' status; and I'm sure that can't apply to you; being a 70's born young sprog.
ciao for now,
'o nonno

I'll count myself as being a young sprog too then seeing as I was born in 1970.

I was feeling old and rather tired today but now I'm young again. Still bloody knackered though :eek:

Pecora Nera Jun 29th 2012 6:34 am

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza (Post 10143818)
I'll count myself as being a young sprog too then seeing as I was born in 1970.

I was feeling old and rather tired today but now I'm young again. Still bloody knackered though :eek:

Glad someone is young again. I feel very old this week.

The original post made me laugh. I also remember scrounging old pram wheels to make go carts and building dens in the woods.

I also remember the bikes I received at Christmas were always second hand. I used to strip them down and re paint them.

ononno Jun 29th 2012 7:08 am

Originally Posted by Pecora Nera (Post 10145444)
Glad someone is young again. I feel very old this week.

The original post made me laugh. I also remember scrounging old pram wheels to make go carts and building dens in the woods.

I also remember the bikes I received at Christmas were always second hand. I used to strip them down and re paint them.

:DI'll tell you when you feel old. When you go to an industrial archeology museum; and your 50's drawing room, with a black and white telly showing the Coronation, aspidestra in the corner, black leaded fireplace with a coal fire, in other words home as you remember it; IS A MUSEUM EXHIBIT! (Ellesmere Port Canal Docks).
ciao for now,
'o nonno

Pecora Nera Jun 29th 2012 7:43 am

Originally Posted by ononno (Post 10145472)
:DI'll tell you when you feel old. When you go to an industrial archeology museum; and your 50's drawing room, with a black and white telly showing the Coronation, aspidestra in the corner, black leaded fireplace with a coal fire, in other words home as you remember it; IS A MUSEUM EXHIBIT! (Ellesmere Port Canal Docks).
ciao for now,
'o nonno

I was born in the 60's But I remember the black and white telly it was a Furguson on spindly legs. 3 channels to choose from.

One year at Christmas my dad brought a VHS machine home from work so that we could tape the Christmas shows (He was a lecturer for the NHS) He said it cost hundreds of pounds and to be very careful with it.

Imagine my horror age 13ish when it chewed a tape while they were out. Because I had small hands I managed to untangle the wretched tape and then wait 2 hours for my parents to come home from the pub.

Always in trouble hence Pecora Nera..

Lorna at Vicenza Jun 29th 2012 9:18 am

Ha ha you guys.

We had a Sindy doll. Wonder if Sindy was before Barbie's time?
I had a Tiny Tears as well.
We had free dentist check ups every 6 months without fail.
We had white pumps and a suidgy bottle of white liquid stuff.
We had to play hockey on frozen ground in stupid little navy gym skirts and our knees and hands were blue.
We played out in the snow for hours in wellies until out hands and feet were totally numb. We weren't allowed to warm up by the fire in case we got chillblains. I can still remember the agony as the feeling came back to your feet and fingers. Did anybody ever get chillblains?
Nitty Nora used to come to school.
We could make a 10 penny mix last for hours, especially if you got a gobstopper and an aniseed ball.

and on and on and on .........

my dad worked for a road construction company as a foreman and had a huge static caravan that went where he went ... and we did too in the long summer holidays. I wrote a poem about those days for my dad's 60th birthday party. Some of his old work pals and their grow-up kids came too. Kids that we used to catch up with nearly every summer and make dens with them. They loved my poem. I wonder where I've saved it?