British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Italy (https://britishexpats.com/forum/italy-77/)
-   -   Visiting UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/italy-77/visiting-uk-939720/)

tpw21 Jul 25th 2021 5:49 pm

Visiting UK

Hi, hope you’re all well. Has anyone travelled to the UK during the pandemic? As the UK border asks for covid test results to be in English, French or Spanish, do the ones done in pharmacies here have English translations on them, or are they all in Italian?

Many thanks

modicasa Jul 26th 2021 10:41 am

Re: Visiting UK

There are labs which will give you an English version of the PCR test. Make sure you ask before you book for the test.

tpw21 Jul 26th 2021 11:02 am

Originally Posted by modicasa (Post 13033466)
There are labs which will give you an English version of the PCR test. Make sure you ask before you book for the test.

Thanks a lot - do you know if the tests done at pharmacies are enough for entering the UK?
Thank you.

heritagestanley Jul 26th 2021 12:08 pm

The test doesn't have to be a PCR test. It can also be an antigen test. Lots of pharmacies do them, and all the ones round us that do them will produce a certificatein English

jesnj Jul 26th 2021 12:13 pm

I've been checking in preparation for our return trip and found that our local airport, Ancona does antigen and pcr tests and will supply certificates in English.

campos Jul 28th 2021 6:05 pm

I got my pharmacy antigen test last week supplied in Ital and English.

Today's announcement allows fully vaxed EU to enter UK. Guardian reports the digital form is required for EU visitors while US visitors can present paper form of pass.

If anyone has a source for reasonably priced PCR tests required in UK...

Pica Jul 29th 2021 9:36 am

Guardian reports the digital form is required for EU visitorsBut what if you don't have a mobile phone? Then what happens?

37100 Jul 29th 2021 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by Pica (Post 13034702)
Guardian reports the digital form is required for EU visitors
But what if you don't have a mobile phone? Then what happens?

By digital, I think that they mean the QR code which can either be saved on your phone or downloaded and printed.

Geordieborn Jul 29th 2021 3:56 pm

I think the .Gov.uk site here indicates the onus will be on your airline/travel company, so really their web site should tell you. Certainly the other day when I looked Jet2 at least had quite detailed information, but how quickly they are updating this fastly changing situation who knows.

Pica Jul 30th 2021 11:11 am

Originally Posted by 37100 (Post 13034843)
By digital, I think that they mean the QR code which can either be saved on your phone or downloaded and printed.

Thank you

tpw21 Jul 30th 2021 5:59 pm

Looks like i timed this thread well :p

From what I’ve seen all tests in the UK have to be booked before leaving Italia and done with government-approved suppliers.

I’m planning on going at the end of August for the first time in a couple of years.

jiminalpago Aug 2nd 2021 11:36 am

Has anyone driven to UK recently; how much importance/attention is given to the Passenger Locator Form, please?
I have messed-up my application for a PLF account with the result that, if I try to start again, I am informed that an account already exists but has not been activated (the system requires the phone country code to be entered as"+" in the application and not "00").
The Immigration Service helpline, 0800 6781667, isn't.
I would be grateful for suggestions. I am catching the Rotterdam - Hull ferry on Wednesday evening (Test Rapido permitting).
​​​​​​

jiminalpago Aug 2nd 2021 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by jiminalpago (Post 13036109)
Has anyone driven to UK recently; how much importance/attention is given to the Passenger Locator Form, please?
I have messed-up my application for a PLF account with the result that, if I try to start again, I am informed that an account already exists but has not been activated (the system requires the phone country code to be entered as"+" in the application and not "00").
The Immigration Service helpline, 0800 6781667, isn't.
I would be grateful for suggestions. I am catching the Rotterdam - Hull ferry on Wednesday evening (Test Rapido permitting).
​​​​​​

Who's a silly boy, then?
Looked at the site again and realised I don't need an account, I can use a one-journey Form, which I've logged.

tpw21 Aug 3rd 2021 8:59 am

Originally Posted by campos (Post 13034452)
If anyone has a source for reasonably priced PCR tests required in UK...

Does the day 2 UK test need to be a PCR one? Or can it be a rapid one?

heritagestanley Aug 3rd 2021 11:15 am

Day 2 test is supposed to be a PCR one, I'm afraid. The reason given is that only PCR tests are able to identify the genomic structure of infected samples and hence new variants. I'm not sure that this makes 100% sense, since it would be possible to require someone testing positive with a lateral flow test to then take a PCR test. But maybe that's too complicared