Visiting UK

Old Aug 3rd 2021, 11:26 am
Forum Regular

tpw21 has a brilliant futuretpw21 has a brilliant futuretpw21 has a brilliant futuretpw21 has a brilliant futuretpw21 has a brilliant futuretpw21 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Visiting UK

Originally Posted by heritagestanley
Day 2 test is supposed to be a PCR one, I'm afraid. The reason given is that only PCR tests are able to identify the genomic structure of infected samples and hence new variants. I'm not sure that this makes 100% sense, since it would be possible to require someone testing positive with a lateral flow test to then take a PCR test. But maybe that's too complicared
Thanks for confirming. It seems that a rapid test is enough to get into the UK and get back into Italy though.
Old Aug 3rd 2021, 12:08 pm
Forum Regular

heritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond repute

Yes. Frustrating that different countries have different rules for the same thing. I've just had to fly back to the UK for a couple of days. I'm fully vaccinated. To enter the UK I need a pre-flight lateral flow or PCR test and then a day 2 PCR test, but no quarantine. To enter Italy I need a pre-flight test (lateral flow or PCR), then quarantine for 5 days followed by a lateral flow test. But we should count ourselves lucky that we're not travelling from France!
Old Aug 4th 2021, 5:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

jiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant future

For anyone intending to travel by P&O Ferries, a warning,: the Passenger Locator Form has to be completed before you board, not before you reach UK, and Day 2 test booked. They did the booking, £40. I booked via Direct Ferries and was not warned with the booking confirmation or other messages. Regarding the PLF, the GOVUK web site, and 4 emails confirming my application repeat " ... before arrival at UK border.".
It took more than an hour to get the form cleared on-line; the GOVUK site was playing up. I was fortunate to have arrived 3 hours early and just before a party of 8 Swedes with the same problem!
The A61 in Germany is closed between West Köln Kreuz and Kreuz Meckenheim, sourh of Bonn. The diversion isn't well signed (Venlo only appears right at the end) but the traffic flow takes you on to the A565; take "Koln" (A555) and not "Koln Ost/ Airport" then follow "Aachen" (A4) to West Koln Kreuz and the A61. Best to avoid the area altogether
There is no sign of a border from Italy to Holland but at Brennero they at least have a flag.

Last edited by jiminalpago; Aug 4th 2021 at 5:59 pm.
Old Aug 5th 2021, 6:36 am
BE Enthusiast

jiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant future

At Hull passport control:
"What do you need to see?"
"Only your passport, Sir."
And no Customs check.
Old Aug 5th 2021, 8:43 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Yes. Frustrating that different countries have different rules for the same thing. I've just had to fly back to the UK for a couple of days. I'm fully vaccinated. To enter the UK I need a pre-flight lateral flow or PCR test and then a day 2 PCR test, but no quarantine. To enter Italy I need a pre-flight test (lateral flow or PCR), then quarantine for 5 days followed by a lateral flow test. But we should count ourselves lucky that we're not travelling from France!
No quarantine in the UK because you're double jabbed with a paper certificate and digital QR code?
Old Aug 5th 2021, 9:02 am
Forum Regular

heritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond repute

Yes
Old Aug 5th 2021, 9:08 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Yes
Old Aug 6th 2021, 1:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Postscript
The literature I read and the exchanges at check-in referred consistently to "an appointment"".
Not so. I received diy kit by post this am.

Old Aug 6th 2021, 2:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Margaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jiminalpago
Postscript
Not so. I received diy kit by post this am.
That would be challenging for us - we don't get post delivered to the house, we have to use a post service in town.
Old Aug 6th 2021, 2:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Margaret M
That would be challenging for us - we don't get post delivered to the house, we have to use a post service in town.
I wondered about saying I was going to be travelling around in a camper but chickened out: I wanted to board.
Old Aug 7th 2021, 8:42 am
BE Enthusiast

C.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jiminalpago
I wondered about saying I was going to be travelling around in a camper but chickened out: I wanted to board.
Hi,

We came by camper via Hook of Holland last Tuesday. Did the free PCR test in the Netherlands. All very straightforward and easy to book in English. Obviously we had to spend a day in Holland waiting for the results, but that suited us. On the passenger locator form you still had (might have changed since last week) to give an address for ten days in case they need to contact you, but in practice you're free to move about as you wish (on the train to London at the moment writing this).

But it doesn't matter if you can't receive post at the address. You have to choose an authorised tester for the day 2 PCR test here, and when you do that you can see which providers allow you to collect from them. We went to the chemist, got the kit, did the test and sent it off, and you get the results by email.

I was very nervous about it all, and it was a bit stressful and time consuming (filling in the same details numerous times), but in the end it was all okay.

​​​​​​Trying not to worry about coming back to Italy in a few weeks because the rules might well change again, but at the moment it seems doable (with the issues about quarantine mentioned in other threads)
Old Aug 7th 2021, 11:37 am
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

That was a good move going to the UK. The thermometer is going up to 40C next week in central Italy.
Old Aug 7th 2021, 1:22 pm
Forum Regular

tpw21 has a brilliant futuretpw21 has a brilliant futuretpw21 has a brilliant futuretpw21 has a brilliant futuretpw21 has a brilliant futuretpw21 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by philat98
That was a good move going to the UK. The thermometer is going up to 40C next week in central Italy.
I think I prefer 40C over 16c and rain
Old Aug 7th 2021, 7:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute

Very much agree about the rain, but 40c....
Old Aug 7th 2021, 7:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geordieborn
Very much agree about the rain, but 40c....
The problem with 40C is that the structure of the house starts to heat up. It is impossible to get it cooled down at night. I dont know how those folks in Canada coped with 50C. I look forward to September and more managable temperatures.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.