Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Visiting Italy from UAE - questions on Green Pass/PCR

Visiting Italy from UAE - questions on Green Pass/PCR

Old Sep 22nd 2021, 5:07 am
BE Forum Addict

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Visiting Italy from UAE - questions on Green Pass/PCR

Hi all,

As a UK citizen, but UAE resident expat, I'm trying to work out a few things about an upcoming family trip to Italy (to Liguria). Hope someone might be able to help:
1) I won't be able to get a Green Pass as UAE resident vaccination records are not accepted. How much will this hinder our ability as a family to get around? Looks like indoor dining in restaurants may be out - but how strict are they? I hear Americans can flash a CDC vaccination card and be allowed in. How likely is it (I am a native Italian speaker) that I can talk my way in using a UAE vaccination card or the UAE equivalent to the Green Pass? Do hotels require a Green Pass for guests? Basically, how strictly is this being enforced? My experience of Italy tells me "probably not that strictly" but these are different times
2) On returning to the UAE, we will be required to take a RT-PCR test before flying, taken no more than 48 hours before departure. How easy is it to get PCR tests - do you have to book or can you walk in? Do they do quick turnarounds so we can be sure to get the result before flying? Are tests offered in regional towns (e.g. Santa Margherita, Rapallo etc) or will we need to go to Genoa?

Old Sep 22nd 2021, 7:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visiting Italy from UAE - questions on Green Pass/PCR

Our experience from visiting Italy as tourists earlier this month was that hotels do not require the Green Pass. The majority of restaurants where we ate inside did ask for the pass and scanned it (we have the EU digital vaccination certificates thankfully) but not 100% of them, and they were also required for entry to museums and galleries. Our passes were scanned on a rail journey from Rome to Florence but not on the shorter rail journeys we took within Tuscany.

Everywhere we went (including Lucca which isn't a major city) there were combined testing/vaccination stations set up in the streets, but I don't know if they provide PCR tests for the purpose of flying.

I don't know what the mask wearing rules are in the UAE, but in Italy masks are required to be worn in common areas of hotels, on public transport and in enclosed public spaces such as shops, museums and galleries and this rule appears to be strictly enforced as on many occasions we saw staff in shops, for example, telling customers who entered without a mask to put one on, and ticket inspectors on trains telling travellers to wear their masks properly so they cover the mouth and nose.

In general it seemed very well managed and we felt safe (the rules are very similar in Spain where we live, except that the Green Pass isn't required in restaurants, museums etc. at the moment) but one thing we did find odd was that, having completed our Italian Passenger Locator Forms, when we arrived at Rome Fiumicino airport there was no-one there to check them and scan the QR code. That was on a flight within the Schegen area though, so I am sure that wouldn't be the case when you arrive on a flight from the UAE. However, our Spanish PLFs were checked at Málaga airport when we arrived back there, although that was also a Schengen area flight.

Old Sep 22nd 2021, 7:14 am
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

"My experience of Italy tells me "probably not that strictly" but these are different times"

I just spent a week at the coast. One restuarant asked if I had a green card but then never checked it. The holiday flat owner didnt ask either or give a receipt. Business as usual🙄
Old Sep 22nd 2021, 8:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Serrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond repute

In general I think you should expect them to be strict. As you say, these are different times, and the vast majority of Italians do seem to be in favour of (and therefore are obeying) the rules. Also remember that if you are caught in an environment where the Green Pass is needed and you can't produce one (or an exemption), then both you and the owner will be fined.

Regarding the other replies above:

Lynn R: Green Pass is not required to stay in hotels. And if I remember rightly, not on local public transport either. Long distance routes (I think it is defined as inter.regional) do require Green Pass

philat98: At the coast, I would imagine that the restaurants would have been outside? If so, no Green Pass required. Indoor is a different matter. Holiday flats (category extralbergiere) don't require Green Pass. The receipt is another matter (so in that respect business as usual, and he probably didn't declare you to the PdS either )
Old Sep 22nd 2021, 9:46 am
BE Forum Addict

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute

Does the Green Pass exception for restaurant outdoor service include the tents that many have outside the main building, or does it only apply to fully uncovered dining? Cos by the time we visit it's more likely than not to be raining outside.
Old Sep 22nd 2021, 9:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Serrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by csdf
Does the Green Pass exception for restaurant outdoor service include the tents that many have outside the main building, or does it only apply to fully uncovered dining? Cos by the time we visit it's more likely than not to be raining outside.
Tents are generally viewed as being 'outside', though I'm not sure exactly what definition is used ...

But depending on when you come, warmth may well be a problem
Old Sep 22nd 2021, 10:26 am
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Serrano
Tents are generally viewed as being 'outside', though I'm not sure exactly what definition is used ...

But depending on when you come, warmth may well be a problem
Ilmeteo is predicting the return of the Caldo Africano with temperatures up to 35C in October and November. However they are not very reliable.
Old Sep 22nd 2021, 10:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by philat98
Ilmeteo is predicting the return of the Caldo Africano with temperatures up to 35C in October and November. However they are not very reliable.
Coming from il Caldo Medio Orientale, that is not a prospect I relish.
Old Sep 24th 2021, 8:10 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

2) On returning to the UAE, we will be required to take a RT-PCR test before flying, taken no more than 48 hours before departure. How easy is it to get PCR tests - do you have to book or can you walk in? Do they do quick turnarounds so we can be sure to get the result before flying? Are tests offered in regional towns (e.g. Santa Margherita, Rapallo etc) or will we need to go to Genoa?

You can get tests done in most if not all chemists now for around €22. Find one where you're staying and go in to ask and book. Don't wait until the last day. I live at the bottom of a great big mountain in Tiny Town and my chemist does the tests but you do need to book it.
Old Sep 29th 2021, 8:12 am
BE Enthusiast

jiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Lynn R
Our experience from visiting Italy as tourists earlier this month was that hotels do not require the Green Pass. The majority of restaurants where we ate inside did ask for the pass and scanned it (we have the EU digital vaccination certificates thankfully) but not 100% of them, and they were also required for entry to museums and galleries. Our passes were scanned on a rail journey from Rome to Florence but not on the shorter rail journeys we took within Tuscany.

Everywhere we went (including Lucca which isn't a major city) there were combined testing/vaccination stations set up in the streets, but I don't know if they provide PCR tests for the purpose of flying.

I don't know what the mask wearing rules are in the UAE, but in Italy masks are required to be worn in common areas of hotels, on public transport and in enclosed public spaces such as shops, museums and galleries and this rule appears to be strictly enforced as on many occasions we saw staff in shops, for example, telling customers who entered without a mask to put one on, and ticket inspectors on trains telling travellers to wear their masks properly so they cover the mouth and nose.

In general it seemed very well managed and we felt safe (the rules are very similar in Spain where we live, except that the Green Pass isn't required in restaurants, museums etc. at the moment) but one thing we did find odd was that, having completed our Italian Passenger Locator Forms, when we arrived at Rome Fiumicino airport there was no-one there to check them and scan the QR code. That was on a flight within the Schegen area though, so I am sure that wouldn't be the case when you arrive on a flight from the UAE. However, our Spanish PLFs were checked at Málaga airport when we arrived back there, although that was also a Schengen area flight.
My query regards the PLF for Italy.
There are numerous sites offering information on the requirement for the Form, how to fill it in, etc. but (after 30 minutes search) I can find none that access the form itself, either to complete or to print. Can you advise, please?
Old Sep 29th 2021, 8:24 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jiminalpago
My query regards the PLF for Italy.
There are numerous sites offering information on the requirement for the Form, how to fill it in, etc. but (after 30 minutes search) I can find none that access the form itself, either to complete or to print. Can you advise, please?

Hi.
Use this page.
https://app.euplf.eu/#/
Old Sep 29th 2021, 9:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Follow-up question: it looks like we could do lateral flow tests (tampone antigenico/rapido) in any farmacia to get a 48 hour pass. How does this work? You walk into a chemist, ask to do the test, then wait 15 minutes and they hand you a certificate that you can use as a Green Pass?
Old Sep 29th 2021, 11:33 am
BE Enthusiast

jiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Hi.
Use this page.
https://app.euplf.eu/#/
Thanks, Lorna, but it was that site that caused my frustration! I couldn't find how to "get my hands on" the pass itself although I now know all about it. To compound matters, the various search results all feed back to that link.
Am I missing something simple? Do I have to download an app and go from there?

Last edited by jiminalpago; Sep 29th 2021 at 11:39 am.
Old Sep 29th 2021, 11:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Click on the "Start here" blue button at the top.
Old Sep 29th 2021, 1:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Click on the "Start here" blue button at the top.
😧😧😧
Had difficulty in finding an emoji to match my embarrassment!
That was the first thing I did but nothing happened; I didn't wait long enough.
Thanks , to both of you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.