Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

"Unforgivably gauche" ?

"Unforgivably gauche" ?

Old Jan 8th 2015, 3:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Sancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to all
Default "Unforgivably gauche" ?

THIS
Old Jan 8th 2015, 3:20 am
Just Joined

Caerus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: "Unforgivably gauche" ?

If the Prosecco producers are so concerned, why are they selling their product in bulk rather than only in bottles. Shouldn't they go after their own members who must be selling the product in kegs? I doubt that the pubs are buying it in bottles and pouring it into kegs. Seems they want to have their wine and drink it too.
Old Jan 8th 2015, 7:20 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Caerus
If the Prosecco producers are so concerned, why are they selling their product in bulk rather than only in bottles. Shouldn't they go after their own members who must be selling the product in kegs? I doubt that the pubs are buying it in bottles and pouring it into kegs. Seems they want to have their wine and drink it too.
They are probably not buying Prosecco, but a local generic, possibly Chardonnay, wine. In this part of Italy, it is quite normal to serve wine this way, but called Vino della Casa frizzante - frizzy house wine.
Old Jan 8th 2015, 7:27 am
BE Enthusiast

sunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond repute

Mm

I can understand the producers wanting to protect their product and margins if they have a valid legal case.

Me - i'll ponder this in more detail when next in cagliari. Knocking back 15 per cent cannonnau from a tap. At €2.50 a litre - wonderful stuff. Cheaper stuff also available. I rarely buy wine in bottles when in sardinia. By buying this stuff i also maintain green credentials - pedal there and recyle old plastic water bottles, jerry cans, buckets.
Old Jan 8th 2015, 10:25 am
BE Enthusiast

jonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to behold

Actually the article does mention "pseudo-wine pumped with carbon dioxide, as seems to be served in some British pubs" and I think that's nearer the truth.
But I say: bring back real ale! So-called market forces have convinced British consumers that bitter is poor man's lager and that beer in general is poor man's wine. So from good beer we go to crap beer and then crap wine. The important thing is not the quality of the wine but how chic you feel when you drink it...

In GB I drink real beer, in Italy I drink real wine.
I agree with you about cannonau, Sunnysider!
Old Jan 8th 2015, 1:01 pm
Just Joined

Caerus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 37100
They are probably not buying Prosecco, but a local generic, possibly Chardonnay, wine. In this part of Italy, it is quite normal to serve wine this way, but called Vino della Casa frizzante - frizzy house wine.
If that's the case then I can see their point. I would also think that probably the customer is then getting a cheap Chardonnay priced as a Prosecco. Having read the article again it seems the argument that they use kegs because customers want to buy glasses not bottles doesn't hold water either. Every restaurant/pub that I know of sells glasses of wine from bottles so can't really buy that argument.
Old Jan 9th 2015, 8:55 am
BE Enthusiast

sunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jonwel

In GB I drink real beer, in Italy I drink real wine.
!
My general approach as well. In fact I rarely drink wine in the UK these days.
Old Jan 9th 2015, 8:55 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

I don't get it. Plenty of Italian bars serve prosecco alla spina. Isn't that like 'on tap'? I've been asked loads of time if I want my prosecco alla spina o bottiglia.
Old Jan 10th 2015, 1:59 am
Forum Regular

mmmmbuti has a reputation beyond reputemmmmbuti has a reputation beyond reputemmmmbuti has a reputation beyond reputemmmmbuti has a reputation beyond reputemmmmbuti has a reputation beyond reputemmmmbuti has a reputation beyond reputemmmmbuti has a reputation beyond reputemmmmbuti has a reputation beyond reputemmmmbuti has a reputation beyond reputemmmmbuti has a reputation beyond reputemmmmbuti has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
I don't get it. Plenty of Italian bars serve prosecco alla spina. Isn't that like 'on tap'? I've been asked loads of time if I want my prosecco alla spina o bottiglia.
Then it's not Prosecco, you can report them for fraud. Real prosecco is DOC and can never be marketed alla spina.

Anyway I am appalled by the quality of wines generally served in UK pubs. On the other hand, I discovered ales and ciders and I love them!
Old Jan 10th 2015, 5:35 am
BE Enthusiast

You may have a point mmbuti.

I have noticed that in some of the Italian cantinas (brit plural) I pop to in Italy they sometimes shy away from labelling one of their tap offerings as actually "wine z". I have the impression that this may be because they haven't jumped through all of the regulatory hoops. When asked, though, they might say that it is "like wine z" or of that type. I am no wine conoisseur so am usually perfectly happy.

Wine in brit pubs? Usually now in/from bottles I think. Do you remember the horrors of stowells of chelsea? I was never sure which part of the chelsea foreshore it crawled from.

Are you Italian?
Old Jan 10th 2015, 8:13 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mmmmbuti
Then it's not Prosecco, you can report them for fraud. Real prosecco is DOC and can never be marketed alla spina.

Anyway I am appalled by the quality of wines generally served in UK pubs. On the other hand, I discovered ales and ciders and I love them!
I never knew that. I always take my prosecco straight from the bottle.
Don't drink wine in UK pubs, I drink cider.
Old Jan 10th 2015, 8:54 am
BE Enthusiast

jonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sunnysider
I have noticed that in some of the Italian cantinas (brit plural) I pop to in Italy they sometimes shy away from labelling one of their tap offerings as actually "wine z". I have the impression that this may be because they haven't jumped through all of the regulatory hoops.
That's quite possible. You can sometimes find an excellent wine in these cases; other times it's just a headache waiting to happen. You have to learn by experience. If you go to a cantina frequented by locals and show you know something, they should serve something decent - they've got a reputation to look after!

I'm not a great prosecco drinker, but I would only ever have it from a bottle! I far prefer a still red, but in general wine goes with food as far as I'm concerned.
Old Jan 10th 2015, 10:11 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunnysider
I have noticed that in some of the Italian cantinas (brit plural) I pop to in Italy they sometimes shy away from labelling one of their tap offerings as actually "wine z". I have the impression that this may be because they haven't jumped through all of the regulatory hoops. When asked, though, they might say that it is "like wine z" or of that type. I am no wine conoisseur so am usually perfectly happy.
Yeap. A lot of wines can't be sold on tap. Soave cannot be label as such so it will often just be given a generic name or Garganega - the name of the grape used to make it.
Old Jan 10th 2015, 10:18 am
Concierge

P.s. Fizzy wine. I don't like Muller Thurgau that much, but I do like Muller Thurgau 650. - made from grapes grown at a higher altitude. Try it if you can find it, Lorna. If not, pop round and I'll offer you a glass - if I haven't drunk it all.
Old Jan 10th 2015, 11:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jonwel
If you go to a cantina frequented by locals and show you know something, they should serve something decent - they've got a reputation to look after!

I'm not a great prosecco drinker, but I would only ever have it from a bottle! I far prefer a still red, but in general wine goes with food as far as I'm concerned.
My favourite one doesn't even have a sign - you'd walk right past it - in fact i introduced a local wine fan to it.

I've always seen prosecco as light enjoyable fizz so am not bothered about it being seen as a sophisticated example. No great fan of champagne either and have drunk a fair bit in my time.

Here's to cheap unpretentious wine.