Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

UK TV, VPNs and ways to watch UK TV

Wikiposts

UK TV, VPNs and ways to watch UK TV

Old Apr 9th 2013, 9:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of
Default Re: UK TV, VPNs and ways to watch UK TV

Originally Posted by Saxy
No nothing on our devices, it's all done by magic at FilmOn. Once you have requested a program to record, you can even switch off and it will happen
Lord lumme! what will they think of next .. I'll give it a try tonight. I missed Dr Who on Saturday, but if I'd known ...
Old Apr 9th 2013, 9:43 pm
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

Similarly I use the Sky Plus app on my mobile to record programs when I'm out and about and it sends the signal to my Sky decoder. Pretty cool.
Old Apr 10th 2013, 10:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Saxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by MarkRD
Lord lumme! what will they think of next .. I'll give it a try tonight. I missed Dr Who on Saturday, but if I'd known ...
Hi Mark, how did it go?
Old Apr 10th 2013, 11:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of

Hi Mark, how did it go?
um I didn't try it .. but i did see the CBBC/BBC3-4 thins . .in fact there was a jolly nice programme about 17th century writing on 3 I think but it was already half way through sadly.

Must check if it's on again.

I listened to Radio 3 instead.
Old Apr 10th 2013, 11:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Saxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to behold

um I didn't try it .. but i did see the CBBC/BBC3-4 thins . .in fact there was a jolly nice programme about 17th century writing on 3 I think but it was already half way through sadly.

Must check if it's on again.

I listened to Radio 3 instead.
Good show, I'm a Wagner/Otto Klemperer fan, but I sink to the depths when I play R&B tenor sax in Spanish bands!
Old Apr 10th 2013, 11:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ah that Klemperer fellow...what a card!

Actually there was an 'alternative' arrangement of Vivaldi's Four Seasons on R£ but I didn't catch who it was by or anything..again, must check on the listen again wotsit.
Old Apr 12th 2013, 3:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Yay . . i managed to record Mastermind this afternoon
(..on my PC though not ipad )

Once I delete it will the recording time go back to zero?
Old Apr 12th 2013, 5:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yay . . i managed to record Mastermind this afternoon
(..on my PC though not ipad )

Once I delete it will the recording time go back to zero?
Yep!
Old Apr 13th 2013, 10:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yep!
Thanks .. I noticed it when I deleted Mastermind

Still can't watch recordings on i-pad though. They show up in a list but however much I tap they don't come on
Old Apr 16th 2013, 4:08 pm
Just Joined

Snickter is an unknown quantity at this point

many thanks to all who take the time and trouble to put info up on this thread although a lot of it is double Dutch to me (not a lot of help living in Italy, Dutch, that is!). I'm a simple soul with a simple question: My sky box is registered and paid for at my address in England. If I use it in Italy and stop paying my subscription (basic package) what channels should I still expect, if any, to receive?

Last edited by Snickter; Apr 16th 2013 at 4:08 pm. Reason: grammar mistake
Old Apr 16th 2013, 7:29 pm
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snickter
many thanks to all who take the time and trouble to put info up on this thread although a lot of it is double Dutch to me (not a lot of help living in Italy, Dutch, that is!). I'm a simple soul with a simple question: My sky box is registered and paid for at my address in England. If I use it in Italy and stop paying my subscription (basic package) what channels should I still expect, if any, to receive?
Location, location, location! Depending on where you will be in Italy you might need anything from an 80cm dish to a 5 metre dish to view the basic terrestrial channels on your Sky box. Although a couple of channels need a Sky viewing card present in the box to decrypt the signal (FTV = free to view, no need for a valid subscription but viewing card required to unscramble the signal for copyright issues) the majority of the channels will be those offered by BBC, ITV, etc (FTA = free to air, no need for special equipment or viewing card). If you are able to, just pull out the viewing card and see which of your favourite channels are available: these are the FTA channels.

NB This summer will see significant changes in the satellite setup therefore for expats who are pondering a satellite dish purchase I would highly recommend to wait until these changes have been made. Basically channels that are currently being broadcast will be moving from 1 satellite to another newer satellite. This will mean better signal coverage for the UK but could mean a weaker signal for expats in Europe to the current signal.
Old Apr 16th 2013, 11:47 pm
Just Joined

Snickter is an unknown quantity at this point

Many thanks, Duffer. As always, fantastically helpful information.
Old Apr 18th 2013, 5:31 am
BE Forum Addict

ononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snickter
Many thanks, Duffer. As always, fantastically helpful information.
Hope maybe Duffer could answer this query.
On the whole I'm well set up for UK TV via Filmon, the box, Expat shield; so have not been watching BBC World service via hotbird satelllite and Jepssen tuner box. For the Baroness Thatcher funeral yesterday decided that I would like to watch it and switched on the satellite tuner. Nada, niente, just a message 'no signal'. I went through the re scan procedure, which said 'nothing to update', and indeed the memorised channels including BBC world service were all listed; but nothing tuned in. All came up 'no signal'. Has hotbird dropped out of the sky, been moved, been made defunct? In the end the only way I could find to watch live was via Filmon on my new toy Nexus 7 tablet.
Many thanks,
'o nonno
Old Apr 18th 2013, 6:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ononno
Hope maybe Duffer could answer this query.
On the whole I'm well set up for UK TV via Filmon, the box, Expat shield; so have not been watching BBC World service via hotbird satelllite and Jepssen tuner box. For the Baroness Thatcher funeral yesterday decided that I would like to watch it and switched on the satellite tuner. Nada, niente, just a message 'no signal'. I went through the re scan procedure, which said 'nothing to update', and indeed the memorised channels including BBC world service were all listed; but nothing tuned in. All came up 'no signal'. Has hotbird dropped out of the sky, been moved, been made defunct? In the end the only way I could find to watch live was via Filmon on my new toy Nexus 7 tablet.
Many thanks,
'o nonno
For a quick fix, and assuming that your TV has an HDMI input, I would get a Micro-HDMI cable and connect your Nexus 7 to it. You will at least have FilmOn TV.

Woops, just remembered, It's the 10 that has the HDMI port, I don't think that the 7 has one. SORRY, SORRY, SORRY!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Saxy; Apr 18th 2013 at 6:46 pm. Reason: DERRRRRRR
Old Apr 18th 2013, 10:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

ononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond repute

For a quick fix, and assuming that your TV has an HDMI input, I would get a Micro-HDMI cable and connect your Nexus 7 to it. You will at least have FilmOn TV.

Woops, just remembered, It's the 10 that has the HDMI port, I don't think that the 7 has one. SORRY, SORRY, SORRY!!!!!!!!
Thanks for the suggestion, but I had figured that one out, and would have done it if the Nexus 7 had an HDMI outlet. Sadly It don't. Still a brilliant little gadget though.
' luego,
l'abuelo.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.