Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

UK Residents with property in the EU

UK Residents with property in the EU

Old Apr 12th 2021, 6:59 pm
Forum Regular

Seldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Residents with property in the EU

Thank you philat98 and so as a law abiding Italian home owner if I had wished to stay for more than ninety days and registered for residency I could only have continued to use my car for sixty days without breaking the law. As I had and have no intention of permanently living in Italy, although I love the place deeply, residency would not have provided a solution as I would have been in a position of having to constantly change my car registration. So perhaps some of the more sanctimonious posters on this thread may wish to consider that things are not as simple as they seem.
Old Apr 12th 2021, 8:47 pm
Forum Regular

heritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seldomseenkid
Thank you philat98 and so as a law abiding Italian home owner if I had wished to stay for more than ninety days and registered for residency I could only have continued to use my car for sixty days without breaking the law. As I had and have no intention of permanently living in Italy, although I love the place deeply, residency would not have provided a solution as I would have been in a position of having to constantly change my car registration. So perhaps some of the more sanctimonious posters on this thread may wish to consider that things are not as simple as they seem.
And this is nothing to do with Brexit: the restriction applies equally to Italian nationals and nationals of other EU states. I think, though I could be mistaken, that it was in fact brought in mainly to stop wealthy Italians from avoiding the bollo on their expensive cars by having foreign plates
Old Apr 12th 2021, 8:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute

I think I’ve missed something here as I’m not too sure why the discussion is so heated? Also not too sure why there is all the talk of people hiding under the radar? Let’s face it, nothing is really very clear regards living in Italy and Brexit is just another fly in the ointment. Modi has said, get ER and you okay to go, you would however have a problem (cost) if you are wanting to drive around in a none Italian registered car – hire ? The only other problem I see is being out of the country (Italy) for more than 6 months and if ER elapses (can’t be renewed ), so you need to ensure this does not happen? Alternative(s), you sell up and leave Italy. Personally I’m seriously considering renting there (as we sold just prior to Brexit), even on a x4 year contract and abiding by the above ER rules.
Old Apr 13th 2021, 4:16 am
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

The ER excludes most UK pensioners by the vague income requirement. If you have a good income there is no problem getting an Elective Residence Visa apart from the time it takes to process the application.
Old Apr 13th 2021, 12:25 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geordieborn
You missed out "little"....
In my first draft, I wrote 'small island' (Bill Byson).
Old Apr 13th 2021, 3:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by philat98
The ER excludes most UK pensioners by the vague income requirement. If you have a good income there is no problem getting an Elective Residence Visa apart from the time it takes to process the application.
Income or house of a certain value earned...