British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Italy (https://britishexpats.com/forum/italy-77/)
-   -   UK-registered car insurance in Italy (https://britishexpats.com/forum/italy-77/uk-registered-car-insurance-italy-369730/)

Aquila Apr 25th 2006 12:44 pm

UK-registered car insurance in Italy

Hi !

Can anyone recommend any companies which insure UK-registered cars in Italy ?

Thanks

CllnsTmthy Jun 21st 2006 8:49 am

Re: UK-registered car insurance in Italy

Originally Posted by Aquila
Hi !

Can anyone recommend any companies which insure UK-registered cars in Italy ?

Thanks

Hi Aquila

Did you sort out your insurance problem? I'm moving to Italy in August and have been advised to keep my UK plates, but I'm having insurance difficulties

Thanks

britexpat Jul 23rd 2006 2:54 pm

Try contacting :-
[email protected]

They can insure car with UK plates for longer periods (e.g. a year) than the usual 90 day maximum. Unless, like me, your vehicle is a "grey" import - mine is a Mazda Bongo

Misha Feb 9th 2007 7:52 pm

I ve become tired to drive my car every year from Trieste to London to get MOT and Tax disk.

What are the possibilities to register a car in Italy apart from getting residency. May the company help? To establish Italian Limited company (dormant, not trading company) and register this car to this company? Is it expensive to register company in Italy?

Another question. Is it possible to get a Road Tax Disk for the British registered car staying in Italy. Will the MOT passed in Italy help to get the disk?

Misha

chris120 Feb 10th 2007 8:51 am

Misha
Re-registering a car in Italy is a long winded and pretty expensive task even if it is a model currently available in Italy, much more difficult if it isn’t. Unless it is particularly valuable, a classic, or you have a particularly strong attachment to it I would not bother trying.
I can’t see why registering a car through a company would help but I really don’t know for sure.

Italian MOT (revisione) will not help to get a British Road Tax Disk.

Next time you drive back to London sell it! And buy an Italian car!

jdr Feb 10th 2007 1:04 pm

Have you got different rules to Spain, if a non Spanish plated car is in Spain for longer than 6 months it is illegal and has to be re-registered onto Spanish plates.

mazi Feb 10th 2007 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by jdr (Post 4386782)
Have you got different rules to Spain, if a non Spanish plated car is in Spain for longer than 6 months it is illegal and has to be re-registered onto Spanish plates.

:blink:

oops

Misha Feb 12th 2007 11:30 am

I ve gota desire to register a car (any car, does not matter which side the steering is on) in Italy. It appears that British national cannot do this if he is not a resident in Italy(I think the same rules apply to any country including Spain). I wonder whether the local limited company, open by the foreign individual may give this opportunity. So a car maybe registered on a company, insured on a company etc and the director on anyone on the board of this company can use it as a company car. Anybody knows whether this is a loop hole for non resident? By the way how much the Italian accountant looking after the companies accounts can cost per annum?

Misha

duffer Feb 12th 2007 12:34 pm

Mazi, so do you have a UK-reg car here in Italy?

mazi Feb 12th 2007 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by duffer (Post 4393137)
Mazi, so do you have a UK-reg car here in Italy?

yes.

(Shhhh)

zel Feb 15th 2007 9:35 am

Originally Posted by Misha (Post 4393003)
I ve gota desire to register a car (any car, does not matter which side the steering is on) in Italy. It appears that British national cannot do this if he is not a resident in Italy(I think the same rules apply to any country including Spain). I wonder whether the local limited company, open by the foreign individual may give this opportunity. So a car maybe registered on a company, insured on a company etc and the director on anyone on the board of this company can use it as a company car. Anybody knows whether this is a loop hole for non resident? By the way how much the Italian accountant looking after the companies accounts can cost per annum?

Misha

To be honest (this is my own personal opinion) I can't see an issue with an Italian VAT registered company purchasing a car and then having it regged to the company as a company car.

Although I would be highly surprised if you could start a VAT registered Italian company without having residency.

Don't bother with RHD as it will make the registration process a LOT more complicated. Registering a LHD EU import in Italia shouldn't be a very difficult thing as long as the vehicle is made within the last 10 years and comes with a document called a "Certificate Of Conformity (C.O.C)" this allows 'easy' registration throughout the EU (in theory)

This document is ONLY available for vehicles first sold in an EU member state and not 'grey imports'

NOTE: You should also take advice from an Italian business manager and a UK accountant as you will probably find if it's you who is going to start up the company as you still a UK citizen you will probably be taxed in BOTH countries.

It all seems very much a pain in my opinion!

zel Feb 15th 2007 9:50 am

As mentioned by JDR and to go into a little more detail.

You are not allowed to drive a foreign plated car in another EU member state for no longer than six months.

After the six months it should either leave the member state (go home) or be given local registration.

During this six month period the car should be completely legal in its registered country; so a UK car would need to have a valid MOT,Road Tax & UK Insurance which needs to have cover for driving in Italy of course.

It's also not as simple as driving the vehicle over the border and bringing it back in, you will have to bring it back to the UK as the local police force will want evidence of when the vehicle last LEFT the UK.

Claremilano Mar 1st 2007 4:11 pm

Can anyone help with a slightly different problem - a friend of mine (in Milan) has a UK registered car and its MOT expired last week - they are returning to the UK in June, so do not want to bother with re-registering the car in Italy. They have Italian insurance on the car through Direct Line. My question is, can an Italian garage carry out the MOT for them, and if not, will it be dodgy for them to carry on driving the car in Italy until June?

CarrieW Mar 2nd 2007 7:34 am

Originally Posted by Claremilano (Post 4470219)
Can anyone help with a slightly different problem - a friend of mine (in Milan) has a UK registered car and its MOT expired last week - they are returning to the UK in June, so do not want to bother with re-registering the car in Italy. They have Italian insurance on the car through Direct Line. My question is, can an Italian garage carry out the MOT for them, and if not, will it be dodgy for them to carry on driving the car in Italy until June?

Not sure about the getting MOT done here part but surely if, as one of the previous posters has said, a UK registered car must be road worthy while being driven here with all the correct docs in place, this would technically not be that case if they did not have a valid MOT?

Claremilano Mar 2nd 2007 11:35 am

Well, having spent all morning at the 'motorizzione civile' (sic) office in Milan I can reveal that you definitely can't get an MOT (revisione) done in Italy if you still have UK number plates - and not having an up-to-date MOT will definitely be frowned on and seen as illegal if you are stopped by the police! Sorry if this is 'old news' to others in the forum, but we've only been here six months and new things to worry about keep cropping up. Funny end to the story is though, my friend got home thinking she was going to have to head for the channel tunnel tonight to get an MOT done, and discovered she had been looking at an MOT certificate for a defunct Fiat - MOT does not run out until June when they are back in UK anyway! How we laughed!