Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Uk passport renewal from Italy

Uk passport renewal from Italy

Old Oct 6th 2021, 3:37 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Uk passport renewal from Italy

Originally Posted by pugliese
It is/was not that simple.

My maiden name is ..... say Smith!
I got married to a German in Germany and became ..... Mrs. Schmitz. The British Consulate in Duesseldorf issued my passport in this name on 4th May 1990
I got divorced whilst living in Germany and married an Italian in Italy, let's say Rossi but we remained in Germany.
I advised the Consulate in Duesseldorf of my divorce and new marriage who changed my British passport name on 17th December 1991 from MRS. SCHMITZ NOW MRS ROSSI. They just crossed through the former name and stamped the passport which was still valid until 4th May 2000. I still have the old passport (thank goodness).

A year later my Italian husband and I decided to move to Italy where I applied for the Permesso di Soggiorno with my valid passport in the name of ROSSI. In fact that is the only official Italian document I have signed in my married name but I don't think it's proof of residency.

When this passport ran out, I just applied for a new one in May 2000 (if I remember rightly, you had to send them to France because they had cut back on the consulates). No problem, got a new one in my married name of ROSSI again. Now that has run out, I've applied for a new one in Durham and the problems have started.

I am not entitled to an Italian passport because I have never applied for citizenship, it was never a problem being British till this Brexshit happened!

Phew! I feel better now I've got that off my chest! God knows how I am going to sort things out ....Angry

Try calling them or writing to them. It says they'll reply within 72 hours. Once upon a time it was almost impossible to get through to them and you had to give them your credit card details before your call was put through. It cost a fortune. It's much easier now. Info on this page:

https://www.gov.uk/passport-advice-line

Old Oct 6th 2021, 3:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like Lorna is correct and a call may be needed in this case (I hate talking to them), but I still think the link applies i.e. you can use your maiden name, which long term might be useful as it ties in with Italy. Not much good for a UK bank mind you, but as advised previously, I would leave well alone there if you want to keep the account!
Old Oct 6th 2021, 4:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

pugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Geordieborn
Sounds like Lorna is correct and a call may be needed in this case (I hate talking to them), but I still think the link applies i.e. you can use your maiden name, which long term might be useful as it ties in with Italy. Not much good for a UK bank mind you, but as advised previously, I would leave well alone there if you want to keep the account!
The account is the last of my worries - there's only a few bob in there the when I cashed in my old savings book!
Old Oct 6th 2021, 4:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

pugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Try calling them or writing to them. It says they'll reply within 72 hours. Once upon a time it was almost impossible to get through to them and you had to give them your credit card details before your call was put through. It cost a fortune. It's much easier now. Info on this page:

https://www.gov.uk/passport-advice-line
Thanks again Lorna, precious help as always. I'll keep you all posted how I get on - this is more exciting than the Squid Game lol
Old Oct 7th 2021, 7:14 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks again Lorna, precious help as always. I'll keep you all posted how I get on - this is more exciting than the Squid Game lol

Red light. Green light? Hopefully without any mortalities.
Old Oct 26th 2021, 2:11 pm

Did you ever manage to get through to them Pugliese?
I ask because I applied for my son (in his name) online at the end of September. Photo accepted and payment all accepted.
On October 5th I got a text and email to say documents received.
Yesterday I got another saying: We haven’t received your most recent foreign passport.

We need you to send the original passport (or colour photocopy if applying from overseas) so we can check if the name on your foreign passport matches the name you’ve asked us to show on your British passport.

We will not issue a British passport in a different name.
What foreign passport? He's never had one. Never even applied for one.
Old Oct 26th 2021, 5:20 pm
Forum Regular

PSG2014 has a reputation beyond reputePSG2014 has a reputation beyond reputePSG2014 has a reputation beyond reputePSG2014 has a reputation beyond reputePSG2014 has a reputation beyond reputePSG2014 has a reputation beyond reputePSG2014 has a reputation beyond reputePSG2014 has a reputation beyond reputePSG2014 has a reputation beyond reputePSG2014 has a reputation beyond reputePSG2014 has a reputation beyond repute

oooooh !! I do not like that Lorna,

This is exactly my concern, you jump through the hoops, pay the money and the KEY ingredient goes missing.

I am interested in the colour photocopy point that they made, does that mean that we can send the photocopy rather than the actual passport do you think ?

Thanks for sharing with us,

PSG
Old Oct 26th 2021, 7:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

I ask because I applied for my son (in his name) online at the end of September. Photo accepted and payment all accepted.
Yesterday I got another saying: We haven’t received your most recent foreign passport.

We need you to send the original passport (or colour photocopy if applying from overseas) so we can check if the name on your foreign passport matches the name you’ve asked us to show on your British passport.

Nooooo! It's impossible to get through to them. You phone, listen to all the bla bla, then have to say to a recording why you are phoning and finally it says we will put you through to an adviser ......... only to hear all the lines are busy and you should try later! I tried countless times, you can't speak to anyone. Then I tried writing because it says they will get back to you within 72 hours but that's not true because I haven't heard a word from them even after a month.I even contacted the British Embassy Rome in writing because it was them who issued my last passport, but same story, they didn't reply either!

I've sent off my multilingual marriage certificate and residency certificate so may be they will react when they receive them - who knows. I've been without a passport now since mid August ! Needless to say I cancelled my cruise and have no idea what will happen now,

You feel really helpless!

I'm even considering applying to become an Italian!
Old Oct 27th 2021, 8:26 am

Nooooo! It's impossible to get through to them. You phone, listen to all the bla bla, then have to say to a recording why you are phoning and finally it says we will put you through to an adviser ......... only to hear all the lines are busy and you should try later! I tried countless times, you can't speak to anyone. Then I tried writing because it says they will get back to you within 72 hours but that's not true because I haven't heard a word from them even after a month.I even contacted the British Embassy Rome in writing because it was them who issued my last passport, but same story, they didn't reply either!

I've sent off my multilingual marriage certificate and residency certificate so may be they will react when they receive them - who knows. I've been without a passport now since mid August ! Needless to say I cancelled my cruise and have no idea what will happen now,

You feel really helpless!

I'm even considering applying to become an Italian!
Oh shit. I have managed to speak to two different people, going through the robotic part and then staying on hold for ten minutes. Both people were perfectly friendly and super polite but both were unable to help. The first girl said she was unable to connect to me to the right person because I was calling from overseas and all the lines were busy anyway.

"So what do I do now?" I asked her, "be British, put the kettle on, have a cup of tea and try again in fifteen minutes?"

The second person, lovely bloke called Connor, when he realised I was calling from Italy tried to fast-track my call to whoever is the right person and was unable to. He suggested sending an email but if they've never replied to you, I am worried now.

Old Oct 28th 2021, 10:32 am
Just Joined

Gbinitaly is an unknown quantity at this point

How did they find out about the second nationality? Is there a question in the online form asking if the applicant has a second nationality?
Old Oct 29th 2021, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by Gbinitaly
How did they find out about the second nationality? Is there a question in the online form asking if the applicant has a second nationality?

Probably because a) you begin the application as an overseas application and b) proof of address is an Italian address. There are no questions about other citizenships and I've used the exact same process for my daughter and myself. Nobody ever asked for anything other than the old passport and proof of address. The silly thing is is that HMPO sent me notifications on October 5th saying "we have received your documents" and their own online tracking service says "we have received your documents."
Old Nov 6th 2021, 7:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Well I've heard at last from HMPO!!!!
My application has been passed from Durharm to Liverpool. No problem continuing to have my new passport in my married name, but because I asked for it to be sent to my work place where I am more than at home, they now want a written statement on letter headed paper that I actually work for them (it's our own family run business)! So another UPS dispatch and hopefully I will have it delivered in a few weeks. What a bloody rigmarole it's been!

How is yours going Lorna?
Old Nov 7th 2021, 10:02 am

Well I've heard at last from HMPO!!!!
My application has been passed from Durharm to Liverpool. No problem continuing to have my new passport in my married name, but because I asked for it to be sent to my work place where I am more than at home, they now want a written statement on letter headed paper that I actually work for them (it's our own family run business)! So another UPS dispatch and hopefully I will have it delivered in a few weeks. What a bloody rigmarole it's been!

How is yours going Lorna?
Good news for you.
I have spoken to 5 different people and sent three email enquiries using their online form. The passport advisers have been perfectly friendly and polite (except person n.05) but no help and the emails have never been replied to.
Person n.05 shouted, "don't you dare get aggressive with me. You were born in 2003. What are you even calling for? 2003!" Person number 5 got a bloody mouthful before I slammed the phone down.
On November 1st I got yet another email saying "send us your documents" so I wrote a carefully worded letter using my bestest and most politest grammar school f-ck you English. I included a timeline of everything. I included the UPS proof of shipping and proof of delivery. I included a written statement declaring that no foreign passport has ever been applied for and I made Alex scribble his signature on everything and I posted the lot off to Durham on Tuesday.
Old Nov 7th 2021, 11:14 am
BE Enthusiast

God, what a nightmare! And we complain about Italian bureaucracy! My sister said that HM outsource some of the work for passport applications. Then if something doesn't fit into their parameters they just send a message to you to supply the documents they want, regardless of whether they are really necessary of even feasible for you to obtain. It's also infuriating that you can't contact anybody, makes you feel completely powerless and at their mercy. So far 3 months have gone by since my application and I still haven't got my passport.

From the letter I received from Liverpool, it seems that is where they deal with the international passports because the address is International Team 2.

Hope you get your son's passport before Christmas......

Old Nov 13th 2021, 9:16 am

YIPPEE!
Not a word from HMPO since November 1st and then suddenly, 3 emails in two days.

November 11th: Thank you for your email about your application. I'll log your information on your application.
Should the office need any further information they will contact you directly.

This is their reply to my email on October 26th saying that there never has been any foreign passport. So much for usually replying within 72 hours. I sent another four emails to them since them.

November 12th: Your passport application has been approved and your passport is being printed.
November 12th: Your passport has been sent to the address you gave us.

Now - please all keep your fingers crossed that the travel rules don't change as soon as I book flights and we all end up quarantining again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.