Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Uk passport renewal from Italy

Uk passport renewal from Italy

Old Oct 5th 2021, 9:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Serrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Uk passport renewal from Italy

Originally Posted by pugliese
Yes I could, but that wouldn't prove my residency.
Yes, I think we understand that. But, as I asked, do you need proof of RESIDENCY or simply of NAME & ADDRESS?

All the documentation I have been able to find, for example the UK government notes here use expressions like "All applicants must provide one document showing photo identity and one document as evidence of name and address and/or residency dated within the last year" (my bolding). Which implies that either would be acceptable ...

Old Oct 5th 2021, 9:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Serrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you Serrano, My residency is in Italy and has been for the past 30 years. I left England when I was 18 and have never lived there since. I sent them my new plastic Carta di identità which has my residency address and obviously my maiden name. I have no recent document with my married name. May be I should have asked for the new passport to be done in my maiden name .....
Just to understand the situation, did you get married before or after getting residency here? Were you married in the UK or Italy, or even somewhere else?
Old Oct 5th 2021, 9:27 am
BE Enthusiast

pugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Serrano
Yes, I think we understand that. But, as I asked, do you need proof of RESIDENCY or simply of NAME & ADDRESS?

All the documentation I have been able to find, for example the UK government notes here use expressions like "All applicants must provide one document showing photo identity and one document as evidence of name and address and/or residency dated within the last year" (my bolding). Which implies that either would be acceptable ...
They want "proof of residency in your current name" i.e. my married name.
I have a bank account in England in my married name but the address is at my sister's because I have no abode whatsoever there. I think that would only complicate matters, don't you?
Old Oct 5th 2021, 9:31 am
BE Enthusiast

pugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Serrano
Just to understand the situation, did you get married before or after getting residency here? Were you married in the UK or Italy, or even somewhere else?
I got married in Italy in the comune where I still live whilst I was resident in Germany. I took up residency in Italy a year after my marriage.

Old Oct 5th 2021, 9:45 am
BE Enthusiast

They want "proof of residency in your current name" i.e. my married name.
Unfortunately that is in effect an impossibility - because you don't have residency in your married name. But it may well be that they are being somewhat loose with their language in the request. And, with respect, it is nothing to them whether you have residency or not. I think the only hope you have of resolving this quickly is to send them any official letter to you from a UK institution to your married name at your address in Italy. If you don't have one you should get one ASAP. Difficult to advise who would be best to do this without knowing a lot more.

I have a bank account in England in my married name but the address is at my sister's because I have no abode whatsoever there. I think that would only complicate matters, don't you?
It would open a can of worms best left tightly closed. Do not mention it to the authorities, and most definitely not to the bank!

Last edited by Serrano; Oct 5th 2021 at 9:56 am.
Old Oct 5th 2021, 10:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Is there perhaps a way I can ask them to issue the new passport in my maiden name?

They say not to send a covering letter and I hear it's almost impossibile to contact HMPO ....
Old Oct 5th 2021, 11:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Is there perhaps a way I can ask them to issue the new passport in my maiden name?
I can't imagine for one minute that would be quick or easy.

Logically it should be possible (for example, it is a reasonable request to make if you got divorced - or simply changed your surname. But no, I am not recommending that, just indicating that there must be a procedure for changing name) but undoubtedly it will be 10 times more difficult (and time-consuming and expensive) because you are resident in a (non English-speaking) foreign country.
Old Oct 5th 2021, 11:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute

I suspect you perhaps should have always used your maiden name for your UK passport. This UK Gov link might have a way out, but yes, you will need official bollo translations. An Italian passport might be handy... Good luck.
Old Oct 5th 2021, 6:06 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Tried this today but my comune does not have them multilingual.

Searching on internet I found Allegato X for residency which is also bi-lingual Italian/English so I've asked them to fill that in and attach the Italian original.

Yes they do. They have to. The certificate itself is all in Italian. Just like it always was. It comes with a 6 or 8 page printout with all the different bits in multi-languages. They cannot say no to you. Give them this:

Regolamento europeo n. 1191/2016 - Modulistica plurilingue

Questo regolamento entra in vigore nei paesi aderenti alla UE il 16 febbraio 2019

It's been a bloody regolamento since 2019 and nobody ever told us and none of the little comune know a damn thing about it. Don't they get updates?

Old Oct 5th 2021, 6:12 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Yes they do. They have to. The certificate itself is all in Italian. Just like it always was. It comes with a 6 or 8 page printout with all the different bits in multi-languages. They cannot say no to you. Give them this:

Questo regolamento entra in vigore nei paesi aderenti alla UE il 16 febbraio 2019

It's been a bloody regolamento since 2019 and nobody ever told us and none of the little comune know a damn thing about it. Don't they get updates?

And my comune did it for me, making me pay the €16 bollo which I would have done anyway and then my comune said ....... we can do this for you Lorna but you said it's for the UK. This regolamento is Europea. You are not anymore. We will give you what you ask for and pay for, we don't give a **** basically if the UK passport office refuses our EU papers. Brexit is your shit. "Thanks" I said, "just give me the multi-language and I'll deal with HMPO if they have problems. They don't.
Old Oct 5th 2021, 9:00 pm
Just Joined

Gbinitaly is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
seeing that requesting a residence certificate in English is a bit of a hassle, I’d prefer sending a photocopy of my Identity card with the old passport.
But on the ID card it’s written Nationality: Italian, although I haven’t applied for an Italian passport, would they start bothering me with questions?
Old Oct 6th 2021, 7:11 am

Originally Posted by Gbinitaly
Hi,
seeing that requesting a residence certificate in English is a bit of a hassle, I’d prefer sending a photocopy of my Identity card with the old passport.
But on the ID card it’s written Nationality: Italian, although I haven’t applied for an Italian passport, would they start bothering me with questions?
They shouldn't. My kids' documents that they have here and that I send off to HMPO all say they are Italian and they both have British passports. The document that you have to send is about proving your address.
Old Oct 6th 2021, 2:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza

Thanks for this info, Lorna! I'll tell them when I go back to do battle again!
Old Oct 6th 2021, 2:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Angry Re: Uk passport renewal from Italy

Originally Posted by Geordieborn
I suspect you perhaps should have always used your maiden name for your UK passport. This UK Gov link might have a way out, but yes, you will need official bollo translations. An Italian passport might be handy... Good luck.
It is/was not that simple.

My maiden name is ..... say Smith!
I got married to a German in Germany and became ..... Mrs. Schmitz. The British Consulate in Duesseldorf issued my passport in this name on 4th May 1990
I got divorced whilst living in Germany and married an Italian in Italy, let's say Rossi but we remained in Germany.
I advised the Consulate in Duesseldorf of my divorce and new marriage who changed my British passport name on 17th December 1991 from MRS. SCHMITZ NOW MRS ROSSI. They just crossed through the former name and stamped the passport which was still valid until 4th May 2000. I still have the old passport (thank goodness).

A year later my Italian husband and I decided to move to Italy where I applied for the Permesso di Soggiorno with my valid passport in the name of ROSSI. In fact that is the only official Italian document I have signed in my married name but I don't think it's proof of residency.

When this passport ran out, I just applied for a new one in May 2000 (if I remember rightly, you had to send them to France because they had cut back on the consulates). No problem, got a new one in my married name of ROSSI again. Now that has run out, I've applied for a new one in Durham and the problems have started.

I am not entitled to an Italian passport because I have never applied for citizenship, it was never a problem being British till this Brexshit happened!

Phew! I feel better now I've got that off my chest! God knows how I am going to sort things out ....Angry

Old Oct 6th 2021, 2:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Gbinitaly
Hi,
on my new plastic Italian ID card the nationality is GBR. Are you English or Italian?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.