Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

UK national coming from PORTUGAL to Italy - what requirements ?

UK national coming from PORTUGAL to Italy - what requirements ?

Old Sep 15th 2021, 8:19 am
riv
BE Enthusiast

riv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond repute
Default UK national coming from PORTUGAL to Italy - what requirements ?

I am in Portugal ( since a month ago ) and would like to travel direct from Lisbon to Rome, to stay for a week with friends.

So I would be travelling from Portugal, not from the UK.

I possess the UK's NHS Certificate of Double Vaccination. [ Paper format. ]

Do I need anything in addition to the NHS Cert in order to enter Italy ? [ And if so does anyone know where to get it in the Algarve ? ]

All current info gratefully received.

Old Sep 16th 2021, 11:08 am
Forum Regular

Plan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud of
Default Re: UK national coming from PORTUGAL to Italy - what requirements ?

This Italian site, linked to the Italian Ministero degli Affari Esteri, has a simple Q & A (in English) giving you all the travel requirements, as far as Italy is concerned.
Old Sep 17th 2021, 8:36 am
riv
BE Enthusiast

riv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you. However, there remains a query.

The information provided states, inter alia,

present to the carrier and any other authorised person, an EU digital Covid Certificate or equivalent certificate showing proof that you have either: been vaccinated against COVID-19 with an EMA authorised vaccine and you have completed the prescribed vaccination cycle since at least fourteen days;

What I cannot find reference to is whether the NHS Certificate of Double Vaccination [ paper format ] is ' equivalent ' .

If so, it would appear to mean that there is NO need for a negative Covid test of any kind in addition to the Certificate of Double Vaccination.

So............anyone with experience of arriving in Italy equipped with the NHS Certificate ?? Were you required to provide a neg Covid test in addition to the Vaccination Cert.?
Old Sep 17th 2021, 10:28 am
Forum Regular

Plan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud of

My daughter arrived in Italy a couple of weeks ago and there was no examination of documents at all at the ​airport. On my daughter's departure from Italy (returning to the UK) she had all her documentation verified at check-in and before boarding. So regulations may be applicable and enforced even before you are allowed to embark onto your plane in Portugal.​​​​​​
Old Sep 17th 2021, 2:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

GeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud of

Has anyone travelled over land to Italy? How did the process work when entering France (or other point of entry to Europe)? Presumably there were no checks at the Italian border?
Old Sep 17th 2021, 3:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeorgeYoung
Has anyone travelled over land to Italy? How did the process work when entering France (or other point of entry to Europe)? Presumably there were no checks at the Italian border?
We have not, but 2 lots of friends have in the last month (one last w/e) and both stopped over in France, had tests booked at the pharmacy, but neither were asked at the border for anything....
Old Sep 19th 2021, 5:05 pm
Forum Regular

Lugsbug has a brilliant futureLugsbug has a brilliant futureLugsbug has a brilliant futureLugsbug has a brilliant futureLugsbug has a brilliant futureLugsbug has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by GeorgeYoung
We travelled back overland from the UK this week. The only time we were stopped was at the Switzerland/Italian border - presumably because we were driving an Italian registered RHD car? We were not asked for the passenger locator form or evidence of jabs/tests - just where had we been and how much cash were we bringing in (e35 )
Old Sep 27th 2021, 10:05 am
BE Enthusiast

GeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud of

Thanks for the messages, useful to know.
Old Nov 4th 2021, 10:48 pm
Forum Regular

tpw21 has a brilliant futuretpw21 has a brilliant futuretpw21 has a brilliant futuretpw21 has a brilliant futuretpw21 has a brilliant futuretpw21 has a brilliant future

I travelled from Stansted a couple of weeks ago and literally no one in the UK checked if I had a negative test, been vaccinated etc - same when arriving in Italy.
Old Nov 5th 2021, 5:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

C.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't it odd how different people's experiences can be!

Flight from Bristol to Pisa two weeks ago with Easyjet: Yes there were checks in the UK. I don't think the UK border staff check if you are following Italian rules...I imagine it's not their jurisdiction...but I am not absolutely sure if I remember this correctly so don't quote me on it. HOWEVER, there were several checks by the airline staff, and people were not allowed to board the plane until their paperwork was in order. (for example one person had the wrong date on their PLF and had to redo it). So if you hadn't got evidence of a negative test in the 48 hours before leaving you were not getting on the plane.

Yes there were also checks by border staff in Italy. But by that time of course everyone had their paperwork in order, so there were no problems for anyone on our flight
Old Nov 6th 2021, 12:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Margaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by C.2s
So if you hadn't got evidence of a negative test in the 48 hours before leaving you were not getting on the plane.
This is interesting - I thought we didn't have to have pre-departure tests to enter the UK. Are Ryanair still insisting on it? I am flying Bari to Stansted on Wednesday for a wedding, so obviously don't want to be refused boarding.
Old Nov 6th 2021, 1:24 pm
Forum Regular

tpw21 has a brilliant futuretpw21 has a brilliant futuretpw21 has a brilliant futuretpw21 has a brilliant futuretpw21 has a brilliant futuretpw21 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Margaret M
This is interesting - I thought we didn't have to have pre-departure tests to enter the UK. Are Ryanair still insisting on it? I am flying Bari to Stansted on Wednesday for a wedding, so obviously don't want to be refused boarding.
You don’t need a test for going to the UK, nor to get on a Ryanair plane going to the UK. You have nothing to worry about, they’ll likely ask you for your proof of vaccine and the passenger locator form.
The last time I flew out of Stansted nothing whatsoever was checked either, nor when entering Italy.
Old Nov 6th 2021, 1:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Margaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tpw21
You don’t need a test for going to the UK, nor to get on a Ryanair plane going to the UK. You have nothing to worry about, they’ll likely ask you for your proof of vaccine and the passenger locator form.
The last time I flew out of Stansted nothing whatsoever was checked either, nor when entering Italy.
I have already uploaded my "green pass", and started completing the passenger locator form. We weren't asked for pre-departure tests when we got the Amsterdam - Newcastle ferry a couple of weeks ago, that is why I found it strange.
Old Nov 6th 2021, 1:48 pm
Forum Regular

I have already uploaded my "green pass", and started completing the passenger locator form. We weren't asked for pre-departure tests when we got the Amsterdam - Newcastle ferry a couple of weeks ago, that is why I found it strange.
I think the poster meant when flying to Italy, however the checking of the pre-departure tests is hit and miss from my experience.
Old Nov 6th 2021, 2:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

C.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond repute

I think the poster meant when flying to Italy, however the checking of the pre-departure tests is hit and miss from my experience.
Yes. My paragraph started "From Bristol to Pisa...". The checks took place in the UK prior to departure by airline staff and on arrival in Italy by border staff.

​​​​​​Perhaps they don't check every flight? Don't think it changes anything about the need for a test...I had driven my car in Italy for four years without being stopped but I always carry the necessary documents... which was just as well when I got stopped by the carabinieri on the way back from the supermarket last week. :-)

I'm going back for 3 and a bit days for a funeral in a few weeks.... does anyone know if we can now use the Day 2 test required by the UK as evidence of a test within 48 hours prior to departure for returning to Italy? I know it was a problem a few months ago because the UK were insisting on PCR testing for day 2, but now it seems that they are the same test. I think. Lateral flow seems to be the same as antigen?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.