Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

UK income a 'No Go' for Italian citizenship?

UK income a 'No Go' for Italian citizenship?

Old Nov 21st 2017, 7:14 pm
Forum Regular

Pailor is a jewel in the roughPailor is a jewel in the roughPailor is a jewel in the roughPailor is a jewel in the rough
Default UK income a 'No Go' for Italian citizenship?

Quote from a different thread - I hope this is ok?

Originally Posted by philat98
The Prefettura told me not to upload the British Passport but use an Italian Id card. The other thing was that they do not consider income from the UK but want evidence of earnings from Italy.
I'm not even living over there as yet, but was hoping to get citizenship at some point if things work out.

However, I'm a CD of a UK limited co. That's where my income comes from, so I'm thinking that that would be a hurdle then?

I have no intention of working in Italy as we are planning to have a smallholding and I'll have enough to do!

Does anyone know whether Brexit will have any adverse consequences for Brits with residence?
Old Nov 21st 2017, 8:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Serrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK income a 'No Go' for Italian citizenship?

Mmmm, I remember that comment, which I thought a bit strange at the time but was too busy wiith other things to follow it up.

I suspect that what the OP meant was that they do not consider UK income declarations (i.e correspondence from the UK tax authorities). I would expect them to insist on documentation produced by the Agenzia delle Entrate - which in the normal run of events you are required to have, as your worldwide income has to be declared in Italy if you are (fiscally) resident here.

To take a simplistic case. A pensioner, whose sole income derives from some mix of UK State and UK Private Pensions must complete a tax return here, and pay tax (using double-taxation concessions where appropriate etc). Assuming that citizenship is being requested on the basis of residence here (minimum 4 years for EU citizens if I remember) that person should then already have sufficient tax records in Italy to satisfy the authorities.

Of course, Brexit is throwing a (who knows how big) spanner into the works. Adverse consequences for Brits with residence - probably directly very few. However, for those wishing to apply for citizenship the qualifying period will probably increase. For those already holding citizenship, theoretically the UK could prohibit dual citizenship, which would force those holding both to choose. But that (hopefully) will remain theoretical.
Old Nov 21st 2017, 10:05 pm
Forum Regular

Pailor is a jewel in the roughPailor is a jewel in the roughPailor is a jewel in the roughPailor is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Serrano
To take a simplistic case. A pensioner, whose sole income derives from some mix of UK State and UK Private Pensions must complete a tax return here, and pay tax (using double-taxation concessions where appropriate etc). Assuming that citizenship is being requested on the basis of residence here (minimum 4 years for EU citizens if I remember) that person should then already have sufficient tax records in Italy to satisfy the authorities.
Oh That sounds more hopeful! After the move I intend to get an Italian bank account and have my income paid into that, so hopefully by the time it comes to applying for citizenship there should be plenty of documentation to demonstrate my income Thanks Serrano
Old Nov 22nd 2017, 3:48 am
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Serrano

I suspect that what the OP meant was that they do not consider UK income declarations (i.e correspondence from the UK tax authorities). I would expect them to insist on documentation produced by the Agenzia delle Entrate - which in the normal run of events you are required to have, as your worldwide income has to be declared in Italy if you are (fiscally) resident here.
I have being paying tax in Italy for the last 5 years. I took my last 3 Unicos to the Prefetura and they told me that UK income is not what they wanted to see on a citizenship application. The Comune said the same thing when I applied for EU permanent residence (after 5 years).
I suspect you can overcome the rule if you speak to an accountant. Anyway plenty of expat Americans are living in Italy without either Italian citizenship or EU residential rights.

Last edited by philat98; Nov 22nd 2017 at 4:15 am.
Old Dec 2nd 2017, 8:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Sancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to all

Originally Posted by philat98
I have being paying tax in Italy for the last 5 years. I took my last 3 Unicos to the Prefetura and they told me that UK income is not what they wanted to see on a citizenship application. The Comune said the same thing when I applied for EU permanent residence (after 5 years).
I suspect you can overcome the rule if you speak to an accountant. Anyway plenty of expat Americans are living in Italy without either Italian citizenship or EU residential rights.
I've been advised by someone at the prefettura who deals with applications for nationality that the way round this is to go into partnership with an Italian friend. Not sure quite how it works. Maybe someone here knows.