UK freesat box?

UK freesat box?

Old Mar 21st 2022, 10:49 am
Just Joined

amanda_wj is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK freesat box?

Hi folks
possible dumb question coming....
I need to replace my TV decoder. I have both an aerial and a satellite dish that I know work but my decoders are old so have stopped getting all the channels since the switch over this recently. I've been looking at both satellite decoders and digital terrestrial TV boxes here in Italy but the choices seem really limited for the two specific must haves that I have which are netflix and wi-fi connectivity. If I was to buy a freesat box in the UK and plug it in over here, would I get the free to air Italian channels? Not fussed on UK telly just that it would pick up the local channels.
Alternatively am I just missing a trick here and has anyone bought a new decoder recently that fits those two requirements?
Grazie in anticipo!
Old Mar 21st 2022, 1:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK freesat box?

I'm sure I've read before that a UK decoder would not work in Italy, but things change or I might have it wrong. Would a firestick or chromecast or other tv device not be a better option if your internet is good?
Old Mar 21st 2022, 2:09 pm
Just Joined

Yes, I think I remember reading something similar but couldn't recall if it was because people were hoping to get UK TV. I was hoping it might pick up tivùsat free to air for Rai 1 etc.
The Internet in the house is decent, so a firestick might be an option and I could use the Rai app instead. I shall have a nosey.

Good idea, thanks!
Old Mar 22nd 2022, 5:52 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

Netflix and wifi connection are web based services and have nothing to do with a digital box. You need the digital box if you want to watch Italian tv, and the decoders for 'aerials' are much cheaper. YOu can pick one up for 30 euros, and that will let you watch Italian tv in HD as long as your tv is not too old.
UK boxes dont work in Italy, or they didnt the last time I tried. A Tivusat decoder will cost you 140 euros or thereabout - I bought one a couple of months ago, but that will depend on how your dish is aligned, and if its an old dish it may need a new 'eye'. Alot depends on how old your tv is - if its before 2018 then you will need some sort of help to watch Italian channels, if its a smart tv and has netflix on board then it should have the digital decoder built in.
Old Mar 22nd 2022, 11:36 am
Just Joined

Hey modicasa
Yep I understand all of that. I think perhaps I should have used the word set-top box rather than decoder. My telly display panel is high quality but old now, it was an early smart TV so does connect to the Internet but I can't get a Ethernet cable to it easily and it doesn't have a Netflix app and is to old to tune in to the new dvb t2 channels so the TV is out. My old set-top box in the UK was a free sat box which picked up the free to view channels, connected to the Internet and also had apps for connecting to Internet streaming services. So it was a one stop shop. It appears that's less common here as I've only found a couple of set-top boxes here that do this and they are super expensive which was why I was asking if a UK one might work here. I'm not too fussed if it's satellite or digital terrestrial as I have both a dish and an aerial on the roof that I know work but as you say I had noticed the aerial ones are much cheaper. I'm off to check out a couple of stores tomorrow and see the issue was actually my Google searching or poor info on websites regarding the functionality. Fingers crossed!
Old Mar 22nd 2022, 12:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute

Does the tv have an active HDMI socket? If so the firestick option will work, but there are others out there A usb port would also be handy but can be wire-powered remotely. Here in the UK, even with a so called "smart" tv I cast to the TV and other devices. For some things that don't cast I cast the browser to a Chromecast device. You do need quality wifi for this mind you. Regards the "smart" tv aspect, I thought these were dumb, but there was not much in it when buying the new tv so it ended up "smart". I have to say I use the catch-up feature all of the time, occasionally Amazon Prime and have used Netflix once... All came as pre-loaded apps and I've loaded quite a few more since. The only thing I don't use often is the browser as it's clunky. Our internet is only 36mbps, but it is more than enough for hd over it. I tried ethernet as its quite close to the router, but there was not a lot of difference.
Old Mar 22nd 2022, 3:52 pm
Just Joined

Geordieborn nice one, thanks again. I think I might have a bash at a firestick. It's a cheap and cheerful solution and the wifi in the front room is definitely good enough. We mostly only watch the Rai channels so I can install the Rai app and I'll be off and racing. My only concern is the internet goes TU more often than the TV/ satellite signals do where we are but it wouldn't be the end of the world if I had to read a book and have a glass of wine instead
Old Mar 23rd 2022, 9:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: UK freesat box?

A Freesat box would work if your signal is good, but I would not bother. With 4K and UHD TV there are now better receivers on the market.

I recently dumped my own Freesat box in favour of this one.

A decent satellite shop will preprogram it for you with an updated list such as OPENPLI, meaning you can pick up loads of stuff including IPTV streams via the Ethernet connection.

You can also stream via WiFi from your SAT receiver to a laptop, tablet or phone.

Old Mar 24th 2022, 9:58 am
Just Joined

calman014 thank you! This looks interesting
Old Mar 24th 2022, 10:03 am
BE Forum Addict

calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute

Outside these areas (approximate) you could possibly pick up the signals OK on a larger dish.

Best to talk to your local Satellite shop, they are normally pretty clued up on this stuff.

For Netflix, Amazon Prime, HBO, Disney, ViaPlay and other services you can buy a 'dongle' like the Google Chromecast, Xaomi Mi TV Stick, Amazon Fire or Anycast.

Last edited by calman014; Mar 24th 2022 at 10:10 am.
Old Mar 25th 2022, 1:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

SanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond repute

A very good price for a feature packed box like that. Do your homework on Openpli first if you're not on first name terms with your satellite shop owner to avoid any confusion of what you're asking for.
Old Apr 1st 2022, 10:22 am
Just Joined

Just a quick thank for the suggestions. In the end I took the path of least resistance and cost. Got myself an Amazon Fire stick and one of those cheap and cheerful decoders similar size to a usb stick and I'm off and racing. Maybe not the most elegant solution but does the trick!