British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Italy (https://britishexpats.com/forum/italy-77/)
-   -   UK driving licence (https://britishexpats.com/forum/italy-77/uk-driving-licence-939233/)

heritagestanley Jun 25th 2021 1:28 pm

UK driving licence

It's reported that the UK and French Govern any ments have reached an agreement that UK driving licences will remain valid in France until their expiry. So far as I know the position in Italy is that validity lasts only until the end of this year. It would be great if a similar deal to France could be agreed. I've asked the Foreign Office for any informaton they have about this; but in the meantime does anyone have any?

Serrano Jun 25th 2021 6:16 pm

Re: UK driving licence

Originally Posted by heritagestanley (Post 13021799)
It's reported that the UK and French Govern any ments have reached an agreement that UK driving licences will remain valid in France until their expiry. So far as I know the position in Italy is that validity lasts only until the end of this year. It would be great if a similar deal to France could be agreed. I've asked the Foreign Office for any informaton they have about this; but in the meantime does anyone have any?

Not as an answer to your specific questiion, no. But if such a deal were reached, I would be amazed if it allowed anything more relaxed than before. In other words, validity until the expiry date on the licence or what it would be if it were an Italian licence, whichever is the earlier. It can sometimes make a great difference - for example for a 50-year old in Italy the validity is only 5 years.

Walton Jun 26th 2021 7:31 am

This is an extract from the UK gov website....If you live in Italy you should obtain an Italian licence. You will need to take a driving test. If you started exchanging your UK licence before 1 January 2021, you do not need to take a driving test

You can use your valid UK licence until 31 December 2021.

If you moved to Italy after 1 January 2021, you can use your valid UK licence for 12 months from the date you became resident.

so...... you can’t use your UK driving licence until it expires.....unless it expires this year

jiminalpago Jun 26th 2021 11:09 am

I hope that whoever is negotiating with Italy is aiming at parity of recognition of the national test system, ie that the pre-Brexit "swap" arrangement is restored. Facing a practical test as you get older is daunting (and, yes, I realise the irony.).

Walton Jun 26th 2021 11:33 am

A friend of ours has just gone through the process of getting an Italian licence.....the theory was a nightmare and the practical test took 5 minutes.......

jiminalpago Jun 26th 2021 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by Walton (Post 13022105)
A friend of ours has just gone through the process of getting an Italian licence.....the theory was a nightmare and the practical test took 5 minutes.......

Well done her/him!
it's strain enough having the missus sitting in judgement...

Walton Jun 26th 2021 2:03 pm

😹 fortunately we both exchanged our licenses in good time......cant imagine a driving instructor picking up all my bad driving habits..... but I am yet to master having a phone in one hand a cigarette in the other and taking in the views while driving.......so lucky no test for me 😹

chris120 Jun 28th 2021 8:54 am

i believe that the italian written test can only be done in Italian, i would say this is an impossible task after only one year in country.

Does. anyone know about exchanging italian for Brit on returning to UK?

Geordieborn Jun 28th 2021 9:05 am

I've not checked this is still the case, but a long way back I'm sure I read the UK would KEEP the same exchange rule as opposed to the EU stance.

philat98 Jun 28th 2021 9:13 am

Originally Posted by Geordieborn (Post 13022846)
I've not checked this is still the case, but a long way back I'm sure I read the UK would KEEP the same exchange rule as opposed to the EU stance.

You are right according to this.
https://italianiamanchester.com/2021...i-guida-in-uk/

SanNico Jun 28th 2021 10:05 am

Originally Posted by Walton (Post 13022147)
😹 fortunately we both exchanged our licenses in good time......cant imagine a driving instructor picking up all my bad driving habits..... but I am yet to master having a phone in one hand a cigarette in the other and taking in the views while driving.......so lucky no test for me 😹

You're only allowed to do that if you have your grandchild on your lap to take care of the steering wheel. If your wing mirrors are broken you need another grandchild standing between the front seats to tell you what's going on around you.

chris120 Jun 29th 2021 1:44 pm

i remember girls ridding side saddle on vespas in cagliari in the 1970s!

tpw21 Jul 31st 2021 10:34 am

Originally Posted by chris120 (Post 13022840)
i believe that the italian written test can only be done in Italian, i would say this is an impossible task after only one year in country.

Does. anyone know about exchanging italian for Brit on returning to UK?

Your Italian one has your GB licence number on it still, so the DVLA would be able to see you’d taken the test in the UK and issued the licence.

Plan B Jan 1st 2022 10:01 am

An update from the UK Gov Living In Italy site which extends one deadline until end of 2022:
Driving in Italy
You cannot renew or replace your UK driving licence if you live in Italy. If you live there you must exchange your licence for an Italian one.
The British and Italian governments are negotiating on long-term arrangements for exchanging driving licence without needing a practical test. If you need to exchange your valid UK licence, you currently need to take a driving test.

If you started exchanging your UK licence before 1 January 2021
If you started exchanging your UK licence before 1 January 2021, you do not need to take a driving test (in Italian).
If your UK licence was issued before 1 January 2021
You can use your valid UK licence until 31 December 2022, regardless of when you became a resident in Italy. Read the Circolare issued by the Italian Ministry of Interior on 27 December 2021 (in Italian only).

Before 31 December 2022, you must exchange your licence for an Italian one. You will need to take a driving test (in Italian).

You cannot use an International Driving Permit (IDP) instead of exchanging your licence.

If your UK driving licence was issued on or after 1 January 2021
You can use your valid UK licence for 12 months from the date you became a resident. Before the end of the 12 months, you must exchange your licence for an Italian one. You will need to take a driving test (in Italian).

You cannot use an International Driving Permit (IDP) instead of exchanging your licence.