Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

UK Bank Acccounts

UK Bank Acccounts

Old Nov 22nd 2020, 6:31 am
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Bank Acccounts

Originally Posted by clint
Here is the link to HSBC https://www.hsbc.co.uk/current-accou.../bank-account/ if you scroll down to Who can apply it says one who is 18 or older and a UK or EU resident
Thanks for that Clint.
Old Nov 22nd 2020, 8:56 am
Forum Regular

PSG2014 has a reputation beyond reputePSG2014 has a reputation beyond reputePSG2014 has a reputation beyond reputePSG2014 has a reputation beyond reputePSG2014 has a reputation beyond reputePSG2014 has a reputation beyond reputePSG2014 has a reputation beyond reputePSG2014 has a reputation beyond reputePSG2014 has a reputation beyond reputePSG2014 has a reputation beyond reputePSG2014 has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent................I've had a quick look, the only issue seems to be getting certain info sorted 'quickly' such as :

if applying from outside the UK but within the EU, you’ll need to provide certified proof of your identity and address, translated into English if necessary

Scratch my head time I think !! Not sure what 'certified proof' means.

Thanks to all,

PSG
Old Nov 22nd 2020, 2:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute

In the UK that would be something like going to the post office and paying a small cost. Notary there in Italy? Or will the Poste there do such?
Old Nov 22nd 2020, 5:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Serrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PSG2014
Excellent................I've had a quick look, the only issue seems to be getting certain info sorted 'quickly' such as :

if applying from outside the UK but within the EU, you’ll need to provide certified proof of your identity and address, translated into English if necessary

Scratch my head time I think !! Not sure what 'certified proof' means.

Thanks to all,

PSG
I was on the site yesterday. The main page you want to look at is here. From that you can get a pdf document descibing in general terms what they want - it's to be found here. And an FAQ section on certification here. So it looks like they're being rather unrealistic (unless you happen to live in Rome or Milan)

Good luck!!!
Old Nov 22nd 2020, 5:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

I am just sending a copy of my UK passport and a UK credit card statement. Both certified by my accountant. I think that will do it.
Old Nov 22nd 2020, 7:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Serrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by philat98
I am just sending a copy of my UK passport and a UK credit card statement. Both certified by my accountant. I think that will do it.
OK, you can be the guinea pig. Let us know how it goes please
Old Nov 24th 2020, 9:21 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Serrano
Went in person with my daughter last year. They accepted her Italian ID card and her British passport. I had personally translated the ID card in case anybody asked for a translation even though it wasn't a legal translation, but nobody did. Think we took other things too as extra proof of address like her Italian voter's card and her birth certificate but nothing else was asked for. It was all so very, very easy compared to a lot of things here.

Last edited by Lorna at Vicenza; Nov 24th 2020 at 9:24 am.
Old Nov 24th 2020, 9:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Went in person with my daughter last year. They accepted her Italian ID card and her British passport. I had personally translated the ID card in case anybody asked for a translation even though it wasn't a legal translation, but nobody did. Think we took other things too as extra proof of address like her Italian voter's card and her birth certificate. It was all so very, very easy compared to a lot of things here.
Presumably from what you say this was in the UK.

Agreed, that's a completely different kettle of fish, plus the fact that in person they can see that the document is original, that you're the person in it, ask any follow-up questions, etc. None of which can happen when you're working remotely on-line.
Old Nov 24th 2020, 5:57 pm
Forum Regular

Plan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud of

For those that do need to have translation and/or certification of documents the lists of English or English speaking solicitors and notaries throughout Italy found on this UK Gov page are acceptable to HSBC.
Old Nov 25th 2020, 6:48 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Presumably from what you say this was in the UK.

Agreed, that's a completely different kettle of fish, plus the fact that in person they can see that the document is original, that you're the person in it, ask any follow-up questions, etc. None of which can happen when you're working remotely on-line.
True. We were in the UK at the time.
Old Nov 25th 2020, 2:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

GeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud of

Someone, I think it was Lorna, recommened to me a form from the Agenzia issued in Italian & English, which includes your address. I can't remember exactly what the form is called, something like "attestazione di residenza fiscale". I used it for my UK passport renewal whilst living in Italy and it worked a charm. From memory, it cost the time it took to go to the Agenzia office, plus a marca da bollo of a few EUR. Coming with the Agenzia's stamp & the fact it's issued bilingually as an original, you shouldn't need it to be translated.
Old Nov 26th 2020, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by GeorgeYoung
Someone, I think it was Lorna, recommened to me a form from the Agenzia issued in Italian & English, which includes your address. I can't remember exactly what the form is called, something like "attestazione di residenza fiscale". I used it for my UK passport renewal whilst living in Italy and it worked a charm. From memory, it cost the time it took to go to the Agenzia office, plus a marca da bollo of a few EUR. Coming with the Agenzia's stamp & the fact it's issued bilingually as an original, you shouldn't need it to be translated.

Bravo, although it was probably 37100 our concierge. I think she's recommended this several times as it is blingual and is called "Attestato Di Residenza Fiscale.
Old Nov 26th 2020, 9:09 am
BE Enthusiast

GeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud of

Thank you to 37100 in that case, either way it came in very handy for passport applications.
Old Nov 26th 2020, 4:01 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Italy has finally taken onboard an EU directive on multilingual certificates. A few weeks ago, I obtained a certificate of residency with attached translation. I didn't ask for it, it was offered spontaneously - presumably the staff member saw my birth place. I didn't need it, but took it anyway. At €16.52, a lot dear than the AdE cert, but way easier to obtain.
Old Nov 26th 2020, 7:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

I have opened an account with Transferwise.
They give you a sort code and account number for sterling transactions. Also a Mastercard debit card that I have linked to Paypal and Amazon UK. You can pay in Pounds and Euros.
The only thing missing is a credit card.
I think I will forget HSBC until necessary.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.