Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Turin - school alternatives for non Italian 8 year old

Turin - school alternatives for non Italian 8 year old

Old Nov 21st 2021, 6:59 am
Just Joined

Lindtz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Turin - school alternatives for non Italian 8 year old

Hello, we are not a British famility (Turkish), when I googled this topic the most useful comments were listed here (a bit out of date though) so I signed up and here we go:
My husband has a permanent job offering from Iveco (I guess located in north side of Turin) and I am kind of hesitant on 8 years old son schooling alternatives from what I have read. He can speak, read and write in English but we are at ground zero for Italian yet, and 7-8 months ahead to settle and start schooling. We can start with an international school (which seems like the safest choice) until the tax advantage blows out in 5 years therefore considering biligual instead of international and then maybe switching to local if we decide to stay. There are couple of bilingual schools in Turin, BEST, Saint Dennis, Buddies and Vittoria. None of them had responded to my mails inquiring info, which I guess is kind of typical for Italy from what I have heard from word of mouth. So I would really appreciate some recommendation here. Are bilinguals good also in academic and pedogic education? And does anyone has any experince/recommendation with these schools or anyother? Many thanks in advance to those of you who spare the time to read and reply.
Old Nov 22nd 2021, 1:23 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Turin - school alternatives for non Italian 8 year old

Isn’t there anyone with kids at school age in Italy as an expat?
Old Nov 23rd 2021, 8:26 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lindtz
Isn’t there anyone with kids at school age in Italy as an expat?
Plenty of us have had kids go through school here, one of mine is still in school, but you are asking about specific bilingual schools in Turin. My kids and most others went through the normal Italian state school system. I can tell you everything you need to know about primary school, middle school and high school.
Old Nov 25th 2021, 10:21 am
Just Joined

Thank you for reply. We will consider switching to national system eventually. If there is any particular tips (like selection of neighbourhood, etc) that would be helpful to identify good schools I would appreciate the help.
Old Nov 25th 2021, 3:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

You might find something of use about living in Torino here https://www.tripadvisor.it/ShowForum..._Piedmont.html
Old Jan 16th 2023, 6:46 pm
Just Joined

ChelseaMum is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello, I am in a similar situation with two kids. I was wondering how everything worked out for you and which school your son ended up going to? Thanks!
Old Jan 17th 2023, 10:03 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ChelseaMum
Hello, I am in a similar situation with two kids. I was wondering how everything worked out for you and which school your son ended up going to? Thanks!
Hi, we gave up on the idea of moving to Italy, so sorry can not help any further. Wish u best luck
Old Jan 17th 2023, 12:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

SanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond repute

If you're also looking at Turin I would suggest asking around the other employees. Otherwise, to give a brief overview of Italian schools Vs International schools; in my experience the Italian state schools are much better once you get your head around the hierarchy, nepotism and occasional bout of xenophobia. The system is old fashioned in the sense they are taught the 3 R's using the rote method and only begin meaningful learning in middle schools. Mine hated it but it actually works.

For under 10's I would put them straight in to the state schools. They'll figure it out. My 2 youngest did this and did very well. For 10-13's I would look at dual language schools as opposed to the internationals. For 13+ you're really left with 2 choices; international or boarding. My eldest went to an international, then dual language and ended up boarding in the UK. The boarding route is not as expensive as you may think. If you want a recommendation please PM me.

In local state schools you are likely to experience the 3 downfalls I mentioned. Your kids will have a different foundation to the locals so will struggle in some areas and excel in others. If your child excels in one area, don't be disappointed if this isn't reflected in their grades. It means nothing and they will see their true potential later on. A prime example of this is in the English language lessons. Your child will not get top marks, it's not seen as fair to give them top marks, even if they are given lower marks in other subjects because their Italian is not perfect.
Old Jan 17th 2023, 5:51 pm
Just Joined

ChelseaMum is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lindtz
Hi, we gave up on the idea of moving to Italy, so sorry can not help any further. Wish u best luck
Ah ok, thanks so much for replying and letting me know!