Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Travel Insurance

Travel Insurance

Old Sep 6th 2019, 4:22 pm
Cruising through BE

LARAHTX has a reputation beyond reputeLARAHTX has a reputation beyond reputeLARAHTX has a reputation beyond reputeLARAHTX has a reputation beyond reputeLARAHTX has a reputation beyond reputeLARAHTX has a reputation beyond reputeLARAHTX has a reputation beyond reputeLARAHTX has a reputation beyond reputeLARAHTX has a reputation beyond reputeLARAHTX has a reputation beyond reputeLARAHTX has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Travel Insurance

Hi Y'all.

I will be traveling to Italy with my in-laws (UK citizens) and apparently we all need travel insurance to be able to stay in our accommodation.

Was wondering if any of y'all had any idea on what are the best options ... Since I'm not an EU citizen I know it could get a little hairy for me if I shall fall sick..

**Hopefully that wont happen** But you just have to be prepared for everything.

Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 6th 2019, 4:25 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travel Insurance

Originally Posted by LARAHTX
Hi Y'all.

I will be traveling to Italy with my in-laws (UK citizens) and apparently we all need travel insurance to be able to stay in our accommodation.

Was wondering if any of y'all had any idea on what are the best options ... Since I'm not an EU citizen I know it could get a little hairy for me if I shall fall sick..

**Hopefully that wont happen** But you just have to be prepared for everything.

Thanks in advance.
Yes, travel insurance is needed any time you travel abroad - being an EU citizen makes no difference, I'd still get travel insurance for travelling anywhere in the EU too.

You need to buy travel insurance in your home country normally, so not sure the Italy forum is the best place for your thread?
Old Sep 6th 2019, 4:31 pm
Cruising through BE

LARAHTX has a reputation beyond reputeLARAHTX has a reputation beyond reputeLARAHTX has a reputation beyond reputeLARAHTX has a reputation beyond reputeLARAHTX has a reputation beyond reputeLARAHTX has a reputation beyond reputeLARAHTX has a reputation beyond reputeLARAHTX has a reputation beyond reputeLARAHTX has a reputation beyond reputeLARAHTX has a reputation beyond reputeLARAHTX has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Yes, travel insurance is needed any time you travel abroad - being an EU citizen makes no difference, I'd still get travel insurance for travelling anywhere in the EU too.

You need to buy travel insurance in your home country normally, so not sure the Italy forum is the best place for your thread?
I am embarrassed.. turns out that I can actually get it through my credit card -_-

Which I found out after posting this... *Major eye roll*

My husband was stressing because of not being able to stay at our accommodation.

Thank you for replying; I appreciate it
Old Sep 9th 2019, 8:39 am
BE Enthusiast

GeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud of

Out of interest, does anyone have any tips on obtaining travel insurance for those of us who are resident in Italy?
Old Sep 9th 2019, 1:24 pm
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeorgeYoung
Out of interest, does anyone have any tips on obtaining travel insurance for those of us who are resident in Italy?
We have an annual family multi-trip policy with Columbus covering travel for trips no longer than 30 days in Europe, about 190 Euro per year (including discount), has no excess (some exceptions) and mobile/tablet cover as well as free lounge access if flights are delayed by 1hr or more.

Have had to claim earlier this year for delayed/lost baggage, process was fairly straightforward, all via email and paid within a couple of weeks of the claim, all items we had to buy until our baggage was returned, about 300 Euro in total.
Old Sep 9th 2019, 8:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

C.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeorgeYoung
You could also try Globelink. We bought it for travel to Australia. Wasn't too expensive and also they are fairly flexible about preexisting conditions
Old Sep 10th 2019, 10:08 am
Forum Regular

Accetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond repute

Mrs Accetturese is travelling to New Zealand for the month of October, to attend her granddaughter's 3rd birthday.
We did her insurance via facile.it, came to just over €100.
Old Sep 10th 2019, 7:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

GeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud of

Ta to all for their contributions. I've got basic quotes of €120-150 for annual Europe-only multi-trip for the 2 of us, which sounds about similar to what I might have paid in the UK, maybe a tad more.