Transport?

Old Apr 7th 2019, 10:22 am
Forum Regular

SimonTam has a reputation beyond reputeSimonTam has a reputation beyond reputeSimonTam has a reputation beyond reputeSimonTam has a reputation beyond reputeSimonTam has a reputation beyond reputeSimonTam has a reputation beyond reputeSimonTam has a reputation beyond reputeSimonTam has a reputation beyond reputeSimonTam has a reputation beyond reputeSimonTam has a reputation beyond reputeSimonTam has a reputation beyond repute
Default Transport?

Car?

Van?

Motorbike?

Associated costs? Relatively the same as in uk? Or does Italy view ownership of each very differently, regards purchase costs, taxes, insurances, etc?
Old Apr 8th 2019, 5:17 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Transport?

You cant have any ofthem unless you are an Italian resident.
Old Apr 8th 2019, 1:29 pm
Forum Regular

SimonTam has a reputation beyond reputeSimonTam has a reputation beyond reputeSimonTam has a reputation beyond reputeSimonTam has a reputation beyond reputeSimonTam has a reputation beyond reputeSimonTam has a reputation beyond reputeSimonTam has a reputation beyond reputeSimonTam has a reputation beyond reputeSimonTam has a reputation beyond reputeSimonTam has a reputation beyond reputeSimonTam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by modicasa
You cant have any ofthem unless you are an Italian resident.
Hi modicasa,

Assuming I did have, how would you view my question?
Old Apr 8th 2019, 2:41 pm
Just Joined

Marie.d is an unknown quantity at this point

Hiya, to buy a car you need to have an Italian identity card. Do you have one? If not you would need to go to your local commune to register- but for that you need to have a work contract or a certain amount of money in your bank account. You also need to show proof of where you live such as a bill in your name. You then fill out some paperwork, then you have to wait for them to come and check you actually live where you say. Then you can go back to the commune for your identity card. And then you can buy a car!
Old Apr 8th 2019, 2:43 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Marie.d
Hiya, to buy a car you need to have an Italian identity card. Do you have one? If not you would need to go to your local commune to register- but for that you need to have a work contract or a certain amount of money in your bank account. You also need to show proof of where you live such as a bill in your name. You then fill out some paperwork, then you have to wait for them to come and check you actually live where you say. Then you can go back to the commune for your identity card. And then you can buy a car!
Wow!

How much money?
Old Apr 9th 2019, 10:18 am
Just Joined

Yeah it's not so simple to buy a car! Insurance depends on the car. Can you go to a car dealership? They will tell you all the details.
Old Apr 9th 2019, 11:57 am
Forum Regular

Yeah it's not so simple to buy a car! Insurance depends on the car. Can you go to a car dealership? They will tell you all the details.
Yeah ok fair enough, but ballpark figures, how much do I need in a bank account?

A thousand euro?

Ten grand?

Hundred grand?

BTW, my question wasn't about how much it costs to buy a car, just thought you should know.

Old Apr 9th 2019, 1:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond repute

The last figure I recall was about £7000.00 per applicant and proof of health care plus translated into Italian birth certs & marriage (if you are married)
Old Apr 9th 2019, 1:55 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pica
The last figure I recall was about £7000.00 per applicant and proof of health care plus translated into Italian birth certs & marriage (if you are married)
WOW!!!!

I am so confused. Italian citizens have to supply a birth certificate and a 7 grand bank balance to buy a car?????

Whats the point of the seven thousand anyway?
Old Apr 9th 2019, 3:53 pm
Just Joined

The 7 grant is a proof you can support yourself.
You don't need a birth certificate to buy a car - but you need it to get residency, and you can't buy a car until after all that.
Old Apr 9th 2019, 4:19 pm
Forum Regular

The 7 grant is a proof you can support yourself.
You don't need a birth certificate to buy a car - but you need it to get residency, and you can't buy a car until after all that.
Ok, anyway, after all that can I refer you to my initial question.

Is the cost of vehicle ownership similar to the costs of ownership in the UK or markedly different, and if different, in what ways?

Actually, don't worry, I've lost the will to live ;o)

Thank you anyway, you've all been very helpful.
Old Apr 10th 2019, 7:44 am
BE Forum Addict

ononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond repute

On balance I would have said not a lot different. Paperwork/Insurance more expensive in Italy. Mechanical and fuel costs cheaper in Italy.
Enjoy the drive.
'o nonno.
Old Apr 10th 2019, 12:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

GeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud of

Fuel costs cheaper in Italy? How much are you paying a litre Ononno? Where I am it's around €1.50/l for petrol or diesel which is broadly similar to the cost in the UK last time I visited.
Secondhand cars are a lot more expensive, new ones might be a bit cheaper on the whole.
Old Apr 10th 2019, 4:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with Ononno that car maintenance is a bit cheaper. My 10 year old Fiat has never failed its road test and the garage mechanic rates are a bit cheaper.
Old Apr 11th 2019, 8:21 am
BE Forum Addict

ononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeorgeYoung
Fuel costs cheaper in Italy? How much are you paying a litre Ononno? Where I am it's around €1.50/l for petrol or diesel which is broadly similar to the cost in the UK last time I visited.
Secondhand cars are a lot more expensive, new ones might be a bit cheaper on the whole.
; ) No idea George. I just hand the pump attendant my keys, and ask him to put 20 eurines worth in the tank.
If you have time for a little story, let me tell you one. Not long after the Florence floods, the government decided to hike the price of petrol from 100 lire per litre to 110 lire per litre to help pay for restoration work. Most of us were quite happy with that, but one old boy that ran tourist boats was having a right old moan about it. One of his colleagues was rounded on for disagreeing with him, and when asked how much more did he think his 500's 70 Km run to Naples was going to cost him, replied 'ma che mi ne frega se costa 100 or 110, sempre mille lire ci metto.' 'what do I care whether it costs 100 or 110,I just put 1000 lire a time in anyway!' The actual language used was a little more fruity and in Neapolitan dialect.
Ta ra,
'o nonno
'o nonno