Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Transfer Utilities Process

Transfer Utilities Process

Old Jun 28th 2018, 5:22 pm
Just Joined

Misanimmer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Transfer Utilities Process

We are completing our home purchase in the next several weeks. We will need to transfer the utilities to our names from the previous owners. Our useless real estate agents said they can do this for us but of course want to charge several hundred EURO’s, is this process challenging for someone with no Italian? Does anyone know what the process is?
Old Jun 28th 2018, 8:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Transfer Utilities Process

You have to arrange with the current owner to go to the office of the supplier together. If the seller is friendly I don't think it will be very difficult because they can arrange the meeting. You will just have to sign. Good luck with your move. I suspect that not many people will speak english in your village. It is quite a rural location.

Last edited by philat98; Jun 28th 2018 at 8:49 pm.
Old Jun 28th 2018, 9:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute

Or look for a translator you can hire, likely a lot cheaper. Saying that, perhaps your agent is going to pay the deposit some of these people ask for... Think it ws water for us where they wanted €200 security deposit unless we signed up for direct debit (which we did not want to do). The previous owner will in any case want you to take over a.s.a.p.
Old Jun 29th 2018, 1:41 am
Just Joined

Thank you for the great advice, I am going to try and ask the current owners to help us. When you refer to getting a translator, I assume to take them with us to the various offices? I assume you just have to change electricity, water and LPG? Do we have to go to separate offices or is there one place to go to change the names? Thank you so much for your help!
Old Jun 29th 2018, 4:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

An interpreter is the way to do it. Interpreter for spoken language and translator is someone who translates texts. It is strange that we have two distinct words in English.

Better to always assume that no one can or will help through English. Would a French-speaker succeed in a Utilities office in Britain with no ability to use the local language ?

Often it is a Dragoman that is needed, a fixer who appreciates cultural differences and nuances as much as the different languages. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragoman

Last edited by scot47; Jun 29th 2018 at 4:42 am.
Old Jun 29th 2018, 5:58 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

Im sorry to hear te your agent feels that it is not his job to do the utlility transfers, I, and most of agents I know, do it as a matter of course. However, the list is relatively long. You will need to register at the IMU office, the TARI office and the water office (if your water is public). If your water is private, then it depends on hte suppllier how you register. - For all of these you will need copies of your act of sale once it has been registered by the notary, and photocopies of your ID. . Your electricity you can do on the phone, and depending on your supplier you may have an English service. You will need an old bill from the current owner so you can get his client number. Hopefully the seller will help you, as it can be daunting for someone who doesnt know Italian procedures, especially wiith no Italian.
Old Jun 29th 2018, 6:06 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by modicasa
Im sorry to hear te your agent feels that it is not his job to do the utlility transfers, I, and most of agents I know, do it as a matter of course. However, the list is relatively long. You will need to register at the IMU office, the TARI office and the water office (if your water is public). If your water is private, then it depends on hte suppllier how you register. - For all of these you will need copies of your act of sale once it has been registered by the notary, and photocopies of your ID. . Your electricity you can do on the phone, and depending on your supplier you may have an English service. You will need an old bill from the current owner so you can get his client number. Hopefully the seller will help you, as it can be daunting for someone who doesnt know Italian procedures, especially wiith no Italian.
Thanks! The more I read this the more I think we should just pay for them to set this up for us....this is a lot to do with 0 Italian! Is the internet usually connected with the phone? What about garbage collection? Is this considered a utility? Thanks to everyone for your helpful answers!
Old Jun 29th 2018, 8:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute

TARI is your garbage collection service/utility and is normally paid separately, we get a bill from our comune yearly. It can be paid (not direct to the comune) in 4 installments or a one off. It would not surprise me if others have a slight different situation. Our comune is small and all the taxes dealt with by one guy i.e. TARI IMU and TASI etc... We found we needed the last bill from the previous owner for one or more of the utilities as they wanted proof all was paid up to date.