British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Italy (https://britishexpats.com/forum/italy-77/)
-   -   TOP UK MISSED PRODUCTS -what do you stock up on? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/italy-77/top-uk-missed-products-what-do-you-stock-up-529440/)

TestaRossa Jun 3rd 2008 3:33 am

Re: TOP UK MISSED PRODUCTS -what do you stock up on?

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza (Post 6430315)

I've used them. They are good, fast and the delivery price is the same up to about 50kg as I remember. Only trouble then is you end up spending 10x more than you intended to to get your 50kg!! I didn't manage anywhere near and still spent about £80 on very little!! You really do need to be desparate for these things to use them. Nice for occasional treats!

Yorkie1 Jun 3rd 2008 3:43 am

Yes, that's what I've just found with them.

If I'd wanted to order loads of the stuff, BCS would have been cheaper, but I don't want to pay a tenner for 1lb of bacon - not when I'm just giving them a whirl anyway.

The one I used charges you for the amount you order, which is better for small quantities.

kirstystone Jun 8th 2008 7:56 am

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza (Post 6210486)
What is at the top of your shopping list on a trip back to the UK? What do you get family or friends to post to you - whether it is something that you miss or something that is simply a lot cheaper at 'home'.

Top of my list is most definitely TEA BAGS,
closely followed by 16p packets of paracetamol
Cadbury's chocolate
Bacon for a really good Sunday morning bacon sandwich
Heinz Salad Cream
Sharp and tangy ginger crunch biscuits
A trip round all the charity shops to buy cheap books I haven't yet read - and so much more .............

What's on your list ?:)

I've lived in a few countries and have grown to love a variety of things. This does make "importing" them a bit more complicated.
From Austria;
-black rye bread
-pumpkin seed oil
-frozen desert: balls of soft cheese rolled in bread crumbs and sugar and served hot (my pitiful description sounds awful but they actually are delicious)

From France;
-pineau des charentes (a local aperitif)
-Good but relatively cheap wines of course
-walnut oil
-compote (or from Austria - just you can't get it in Italy)

From UK
-tea (of course) - good strong stuff, not the anaemic variety sold on the continent
-various indian ingredients. Pastes to make tikka etc poppadoms (you can buy chutney here in posh supermarkets, but strangely nothing to dip in said chutney)
-hot cross buns!!!! (toasted with butter melting into them ahhh!)

Things from Italy I will miss
-tasty fruit and veg including loose lettuice (ruccola, lambs-lettuice etc thats not sold pre-packed in bags). I'll just miss the variety!!!
-sweet balsamic vinegar (balsamic vinegar may have that name elsewhere but you can't find the really mild stuff)
- a wonderfull fairtrade chocolate bar my supermarket sells. White chocolate with bits of cocoa bean in it!!!

Well that's the list for the time being. I'm sure when I move to a new country I'll add some more ingredients!

irish girl in italy Jun 9th 2008 6:08 am

SURE ANTI-PERSPIRANT

I have never ever found anti-perspirant deodorant in any part of Italy why? Normal yes dove etc but not the above. Body shop used to do a roll on version.

Yorkie1 Jun 9th 2008 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by irish girl in italy (Post 6450164)
SURE ANTI-PERSPIRANT

I have never ever found anti-perspirant deodorant in any part of Italy why? Normal yes dove etc but not the above. Body shop used to do a roll on version.

While i remember, I recieved my bacon order and it was fantastic. Proper taste of home. Nearly demolished the whole pound over the weekend.

I also bought some HP with the bacon. Can't have a bacon sarnie without the HP!

If anybody's interested, the website is http://www.englishbacon.co.uk

TestaRossa Jun 10th 2008 2:37 am

Originally Posted by irish girl in italy (Post 6450164)
SURE ANTI-PERSPIRANT

Really?! Do you have a Sephora? They don't do sure but they have anti-perspirant. I also get it from the supermarkets. And I do mean anti-perspirant, not just deodorant. Roberts is an Italian brand in the supermarkets that definitely does it too.

When I got it from Sephora, they called it for "trattimenti" - this is how it sounded! As in for treatment of perspiration rather than for covering nasty niffs. I'd try your pharmacy on that basis too.

irish girl in italy Jun 10th 2008 5:11 am

Thanks for your answer TR

No we don't have Sephora it is absolutely not available in any part of R.E. also when I go to see the old bat in the south can't be found believe me if I could buy it here I wouldn't have been carting it home for the past 12 years. Also when I have holidayed in different parts of Italy its the first thing I go search for.

TestaRossa Jun 10th 2008 7:03 am

Where's R.E.?

TestaRossa Jun 10th 2008 7:09 am

Reggio Emilia? If it is I thought they had Esselunga in that part of the world, or is it just Tuscany and Lombardy?

irish girl in italy Jun 10th 2008 7:21 am

Reggio E is right and yes we do have Esselunga I would be miserable without it you can buy porridge weetabix bacon hp sauce curry sauces salt and vinegar crisps etc its brill i LOVE IT but alas no antiper.

TestaRossa Jun 10th 2008 7:41 am

They must have different stock from store to store, like Tesco does in the UK. I checked on-line just now and their on-line store showed a Nivea one for the control of perspiration all through the day (or something like that anyway!) Neutro Roberts was the brand I was trying to think of!!

Maybe we are sweatier here in Florence!:D

irish girl in italy Jun 10th 2008 7:49 am

I'll definitely check it out TR who knows maybe I can't see it for looking at it, but If I can find it I sure will be happy .:thumbsup:

.Ariel. Jun 13th 2008 6:10 am

I wonder where my nearest Esselunga is. Anyone Know? Do they sell clothes too?

TestaRossa Jun 13th 2008 6:35 am

sorry ariel. The are only up North. Milan company. You can try a search on their site but I'm pretty sure you will be out of luck. They deliver too!

.Ariel. Jun 13th 2008 7:17 am

:(

Lorna at Vicenza Jun 13th 2008 7:56 am

Originally Posted by TestaRossa (Post 6464652)
sorry ariel. The are only up North. Milan company. You can try a search on their site but I'm pretty sure you will be out of luck. They deliver too!

they are not that far north as there are none near me !

TestaRossa Jun 13th 2008 8:15 pm

ok nw and central! Lombardy, tuscany, emilia romagna, don't know about piemonte.

Lorna at Vicenza Jun 14th 2008 11:11 pm

It Must be a Sunday thing but I'd kill for a big fat bacon sarnie right now !!!

I just can't face the thought of cooking pasta or risotto or anything similar. Might just make cheese on toast for me and the kids.

Lorna at Vicenza Jun 14th 2008 11:15 pm

It Must be a Sunday thing but I'd kill for a big fat bacon sarnie right now !!!

I just can't face the thought of cooking pasta or risotto or anything similar. Might just make cheese on toast for me and the kids.

sands Jun 15th 2008 1:12 am

Lorna you must mean strong cheddar cheese on Waitrose granary bread of course .... :)

I've got a korma chicken curry to look forward to tonight courtesty of my hubby who cooks a lot better than I - well I knew there was a reason for marrying him :D

btw are you experiencing a bit of slowness on the site? I'm not getting alerts when I have replies to my threads and also it seems to take 2 takes before my message is submitted. I may ask the administrator if it's me or the site itself.

sands Jun 15th 2008 1:15 am

courtesy not courtesty - I got carried away by all that food talk :)

Lorna at Vicenza Jun 15th 2008 1:32 am

Originally Posted by sands (Post 6468910)
Lorna you must mean strong cheddar cheese on Waitrose granary bread of course .... :)

I've got a korma chicken curry to look forward to tonight courtesty of my hubby who cooks a lot better than I - well I knew there was a reason for marrying him :D

btw are you experiencing a bit of slowness on the site? I'm not getting alerts when I have replies to my threads and also it seems to take 2 takes before my message is submitted. I may ask the administrator if it's me or the site itself.

same thing - have not received any email alerts for ages and it takes ages for me new message to appear on the page....... think I must have clicked twice on my last one !

sands Jun 15th 2008 1:36 am

well at least it's not just technophobe me for a change - I'll send a message to admin to tell them what's going on

Patty Jun 15th 2008 4:02 am

Just back the anti persp for a moment. Here in Piemonte they used to sell Rexona - which was the italian name for Sure. However in the last year or so I cant even find this anymore. Have resorted to bulk buying Sure from France when we've visited. Even the cheap stuff from Aldi in France works AND smells nice - not like the stuff here. Have you ever shaved and then sprayed italian stuff ..........:ohmy::ohmy: it really stings !!!!

BTW - have big bottle of Heinz Salad Cream in fridge and am going to make my fave sarnie ......grated cheese, spring onions and lashings of salad cream ..yum!

TestaRossa Jun 15th 2008 5:05 am

Originally Posted by sands (Post 6468958)
well at least it's not just technophobe me for a change - I'll send a message to admin to tell them what's going on

Check out the site admin messages at the top of the Italy forum page - there's another thread going within them about the site probs. if you are interested!;)

sands Jun 15th 2008 5:52 am

yes, thanks TR, I've been directed to it as well by JDR.

.Ariel. Jun 15th 2008 8:55 am

Originally Posted by Patty (Post 6469290)
BTW - have big bottle of Heinz Salad Cream in fridge and am going to make my fave sarnie ......grated cheese, spring onions and lashings of salad cream ..yum!

I love salad cream with tuna. Yum. I've got a bottle but it'll be finished soon :( I always get sad when I finish things which I've brought over as I know that getting a replacement won't be easy. :(

Dee_dee Jun 15th 2008 9:32 am

Just popped over for a quick visit from Spain to you peeps in Italy (hope you don't mind) to let you know that everything you've all mentioned that you miss...including crunchies, lol...are all readily available here in the Costa Blanca. There's very little we can't get here, and that includes English bacon, in fact I've just had an unsmoked back bacon sarnie...yummmmm!!:thumbsup:

Inicentally we've alos got a Primark in Murcia, so any of you fancy a trip over this way, then you can shop 'till you drop :D

Only thing that I really stock up on when I go back to the UK (apart from clothes cuz the spanish only have 2 sizes, aged 13 skinny minny or granny florals size 50)...is indigestion pills,(need 'em after all the bacon, lol), and 16p a pack paracetamol. :D

TestaRossa Jun 16th 2008 1:59 am

Hola Dee_dee! I'm in Mijas 2nd week August! My son pigs out on Pot Noodles and I drag everyone into the sausage and mash cafs!! Lack of humidity and a pool is fairly cool too!:thumbsup:

Yorkie1 Aug 11th 2008 2:51 am

For anyone still craving an bacon sarnie with proper British bacon, The English Bacon Company have just sent me a code for 10% off all orders. I think it applies to non-bacon products on the website as well.

Type the word "summer" during checkout and they will knock 10% off.

englishbacon.co.uk

Lorna at Vicenza Aug 11th 2008 8:03 am

Originally Posted by Yorkie1 (Post 6669005)
For anyone still craving an bacon sarnie with proper British bacon, The English Bacon Company have just sent me a code for 10% off all orders. I think it applies to non-bacon products on the website as well.

Type the word "summer" during checkout and they will knock 10% off.

englishbacon.co.uk

thanks for the tip off

Scratcher Aug 11th 2008 5:15 pm

I've not read the whole thread, so this may have been posted before. I used to live in Italy for three years and I found the Chinese or Asian supermarkets very good for getting UK products. The one I used in Bologna had peanut butter, marmite, golden shread marmalade, quakers oats, branston pickle, baked beans (with sausages if desired), pg tips and many other British food stuffs.

I found the shop by searching the yellow pages (gallina pagina?) online.

Ciao,

Scratcher

sunnylady Aug 11th 2008 8:24 pm

how about Lidl? I found some English stuff when I do a shop.

Alan1963 Aug 14th 2008 2:06 am

I am lucky enough to have to pop to the UK every couple of months for work so thats when I stock up on the essentials... PG Tips and Marmite!!

Best :)

Lorna at Vicenza Aug 14th 2008 7:55 am

Originally Posted by Alan1963 (Post 6679617)
I am lucky enough to have to pop to the UK every couple of months for work so thats when I stock up on the essentials... PG Tips and Marmite!!

Best :)

you live too far away from me to ask you for any favours .......... shame !

stanage2 Aug 14th 2008 8:02 am

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza (Post 6680129)
you live too far away from me to ask you for any favours .......... shame !

A bit far to get milk,:rofl::rofl:

Lorna at Vicenza Aug 14th 2008 8:11 am

Originally Posted by stanage2 (Post 6680139)
A bit far to get milk,:rofl::rofl:

are you stalking me from France to Italy ?

Ka Ora! Aug 14th 2008 8:18 am

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza (Post 6680160)
are you stalking me from France to Italy ?

Lorna's got a stalker.......He gets about;)

Lorna at Vicenza Aug 14th 2008 8:34 am

am I the only one he's stalking ????

Ka Ora! Aug 14th 2008 8:42 am

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza (Post 6680200)
am I the only one he's stalking ????

Not really.......he's like a lost puppy feed it and he sticks about.;)