British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Italy (https://britishexpats.com/forum/italy-77/)
-   -   TIM fibre optic offer (https://britishexpats.com/forum/italy-77/tim-fibre-optic-offer-907440/)

chris120 Jan 3rd 2018 9:46 am

TIM fibre optic offer

In my last TIM phone bill I was offered fibre optic internet upgrade at no cost and no increase in current monthly ADSL payments. Including free new fibre MODEM, free technical support to install and the possibility to use my iPhone as a cordless. Seems too good to be true.

I have generally avoided swapping deals all utilities, due to the horror stories you hear and for relatively small savings.

Apart from that in the past fibre was incompatible with certain ADSL options such as voce internazionale and tutto voce (monthly flat rate unlimited calls).

I also have a piece of software called “folder match” that will synchronise my desk top and lap top, this connects the two through the MODEM to work.

Has anyone got any advice from their experience of swapping to fibre?

Geordieborn Jan 3rd 2018 10:51 am

Re: TIM fibre optic offer

Can’t offer any real time experience Italy/TIM advice, but from looking at the UK experience I would look at what speed they are offering as in the UK the real difference is very little in some parts. Saying that it is also the case that prices are levelling out and it may well be that in Italy the experience regards speed will be a lot better. Regards the s/w which you suggest may be a concern, there are many other options out there, but in any case it’s unlikely the change would impact the use of the s/w. It may however be a bit of a pain setting up the s/w to work with a new modem/router, but as it is a one off task it is always going to be. I don’t have a clue how foldermatch works, but I’m pretty sure it will be just a case of re-setting the IP address of the new kit. Saying that, if your current set-up relies/depends on a fixed IP address, you may want to check you can still get such from them and what any extra cost for this might be.

37100 Jan 3rd 2018 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by chris120 (Post 12409769)
In my last TIM phone bill I was offered fibre optic internet upgrade at no cost and no increase in current monthly ADSL payments. Including free new fibre MODEM, free technical support to install and the possibility to use my iPhone as a cordless. Seems too good to be true.

I have generally avoided swapping deals all utilities, due to the horror stories you hear and for relatively small savings.

Apart from that in the past fibre was incompatible with certain ADSL options such as voce internazionale and tutto voce (monthly flat rate unlimited calls).

I also have a piece of software called “folder match” that will synchronise my desk top and lap top, this connects the two through the MODEM to work.

Has anyone got any advice from their experience of swapping to fibre?

It's free to enter, but there is a €100 fee to exit plus the cost of the months, if any, that make up the min length of your new contract.

Geordieborn Jan 3rd 2018 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by 37100 (Post 12409941)
It's free to enter, but there is a €100 fee to exit plus the cost of the months, if any, that make up the min length of your new contract.

Ha:lol: The very reason we try to avoid any contract in Italy, although it does seem the OP is already in such with them.

37100 Jan 3rd 2018 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by Geordieborn (Post 12410023)
Ha:lol: The very reason we try to avoid any contract in Italy, although it does seem the OP is already in such with them.

Old Tim contracts do not have an exit fee.