British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Italy (https://britishexpats.com/forum/italy-77/)
-   -   Thinking of Umbria (https://britishexpats.com/forum/italy-77/thinking-umbria-927830/)

travelling hopefully Sep 11th 2019 6:14 pm

Thinking of Umbria

Hi everyone. This is my first post although I have looking around at you all in the background!

I'm looking into moving to Umbria to live full time following a divorce which has left me with a rather smaller pot of money than most. However I've dreamt of moving ever since I first visited Umbria many years ago (and every visit since at all times of year), so I'm determined to make it work somehow. I do have Italian friends elsewhere and I'm looking to integrate fully if I can (although I'm far from fluent at present but will work on that one!) but in an effort to make it work practically I'd love to hear your thoughts as to whether my ideas are hogwash or not (or should that be cinghiale wash?).

My idea is to have a flat rented out in the uk and use that as a base income and potential safety net if needed. I can afford to buy a small house up to £70k or so in Umbria and then just need to make up the difference in monthly income depending on what monthly amount is realistic for living expenses in rural Umbria. Ideas for costings would be great if you have any? Anyway, to make up some money, is it possible to do the odd meet and greet, sewing, design work (was a magazine designer), small odd jobs etc and get some money that way? Other than that I'm looking at funding the gap between now and my retirement in 12 years out of my pot as well, which is possible but not ideal. Any ideas anyone?

Geordieborn Sep 11th 2019 7:23 pm

Re: Thinking of Umbria

Well living in Italy is everything we ever wanted and knew from holidays and more than excelled in living there. Depending on how you live it can also be much cheaper, but for some that’s not the case. I would say costs for us were a minimum 25% less than living in the UK, but we do mostly live off the land. However you need to look at everything you assume or take for granted. It is very different from the UK, much more so than most expect once there.

philat98 Sep 12th 2019 10:48 am

I would rent a place for a few months with all services thrown in and see how you get on. Where were you planning to live? Most expats live in Provincia di Perugia.

travelling hopefully Sep 12th 2019 1:12 pm

Thanks Geordieborn and Philat98 for replying. It's given me some idea of costs if you say you can allow 25% less on living. I would grow some veggies if I can and live by markets etc so cost wise I am assuming that'd be cheaper, so I am working on needing approx £1000 a month to live on (or whatever that may end up being in euros at that point). I don't live a high life but it would be nice not to be worried about affording to go festivals or do other social things each month and run a car if needed.

The area I'm looking at is anywhere from Todi in the South up to Perugia and from Castiglione del Lago to Spello. I have seen a property at both Doglio and Collazzone that look interesting, as well as a 'project' just outside Todi which despite being 'completely habitable', basically needed building from the ground up! Ideally I'd like to be around the San T/Bettona/Bevagna area but obviously that depends on whats available.

Is it realistic to think that I might be able to supplement my income by doing some self employed work for other expats - holiday homes meet and greet/cleaning, admin, soft furnishings etc? I know that 'proper' work would be almost impossible due to the high unemployment rates and my not being fluent yet. I have met others who do odd jobs like this when I've been driving down to Umbria from the UK, but that's been France, Piedmont, and Tuscany, so not sure if the same applies in Umbria. There is also the possibility of freelance design work for the UK but that is not certain yet despite being ideal, hence my query as to possible earning.

Thanks again for your advice.

Geordieborn Sep 12th 2019 1:34 pm

For us it was a little bit more than growing the veg. Living rural and like our neighbours, it is not easy work and we could be viewed as slightly odd e.g. no TV (no time). This question has been raised many times before and often there is the same answer i.e. it depends how you live. Some people (we know) like to live in shorts in the winter indoors and spend 1000s on wood to heat their uninsulated massive house to 25c. Others (again we know) wear ski gear inside and ate Christmas lunch outside one year as it was warmer than in their house. Many an Italian will go to the local festa and spend nothing and others treat it as a family night out and dinner.

philat98 Sep 12th 2019 1:35 pm

Do you know that once you become a tax resident you have to pay Italian tax rates on worldwide assets and income? I don't think it is possible to live on such a small income.

Geordieborn Sep 12th 2019 2:29 pm

I would say you could, but not easily live on that income. The tax burden of 23% (up to circa 15000) in Italy is awful, but that may well change. I would not count on being able to earn anything.

Serrano Sep 12th 2019 3:55 pm

Also bear in mind that you would need health insurance in order to get residency, and then by virtue of not working (officially) you would not be able to access the state health service for 5 years, so you would have to cover all your needs (emergencies excepted) for that period. I think it will be tight on the budget you are indicating, but much depends on your philosophical approach and willingness to compromise in order to follow your dream.

Regarding the earnings you are thinking of, I personally would approach the matter as needing to be self-financing without them - and then anything you earn then would be a bonus. I think that depending on such sources would be asking for disappointment.

C.2s Sep 12th 2019 9:41 pm

The rules about what it is necessary for you to provide to get residency don't seem to be applied consistently throughout Italy. It depends which commune, or sometimes what person, you are dealing with. I am not sure that health insurance is always necessary in order to obtain temporary residency (you can't get permanent residency for five years unless you qualify by some other factor). What you are asked to provide is evidence that you will not be a burden on the state. In our case this was a self certification of income in excess of €6000 per year. We did not have to provide any evidence of this. Likewise if you were renting out a property in the UK as you suggested you would be able to truthfully confirm the same. However you'll have seen lots of different accounts from people about this if you have been reading the forum.

Finding advice about the tax situation on earnings in the UK seems to be a bit murky. And I think you have to consider that this may impact on your ability to register with the Italian state health service. We assumed that moving here we would pay tax on all income, but despite our best efforts to declare income earned abroad we keep being told that we have to pay tax on that income in the country where it is earnt. Getting state health cover was difficult for a while because they kept telling us that we needed a form from the uk, but that's only for people who are retired or in receipt of benefits. Eventually we declared ourselves as self employed (I guess you can do the same...it's true that you will be trying to work as a designer) and, though this created some additional paperwork, it meant that suddenly all obstacles to registering for healthcare disappeared. We're putting money aside assuming that

​​​​​​I'm pretty sure that I could live on £1000 a month here (Northern Lazio but it's much the same as southern umbria), but I wouldn't have a problem living frugally. Overall, excluding housing, I think the cost of living is similar to the UK. Some things are more expensive (medicines like paracetamol for example) and other things are cheaper (wine)...so the obvious solution is to drink more wine! 😀

C.2s Sep 12th 2019 9:43 pm

Forgot to add the obligatory 'this is preBrexit' warning statement!! 😀

philat98 Sep 13th 2019 11:05 am

If we exit Europe at the end of October the EHIC card will no longer provide any health cover. If you have no Tessersa Sanitaria and no health insurance what would you do if you were feeling unwell one morning? Even UK doctors kick you off the practice after a few months of living outside the UK.

C.2s Sep 13th 2019 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by philat98 (Post 12734985)
If we exit Europe at the end of October the EHIC card will no longer provide any health cover. If you have no Tessersa Sanitaria and no health insurance what would you do if you were feeling unwell one morning? Even UK doctors kick you off the practice after a few months of living outside the UK.

As things stand a EHIC won't provide any cover if are resident in Italy (that's already the situation, nothing to do with brexit). In the context of this thread the OP was asking about living in Italy, and I was saying that if they are self employed they can apply for a Tessersa Sanitaria. And in that case they wouldn't have to have health insurance

philat98 Sep 13th 2019 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by C.2s (Post 12735039)
As things stand a EHIC won't provide any cover if are resident in Italy (that's already the situation, nothing to do with brexit). In the context of this thread the OP was asking about living in Italy, and I was saying that if they are self employed they can apply for a Tessersa Sanitaria. And in that case they wouldn't have to have health insurance

Yes thats how I got my Tessera Sanitaria. You still have to pay the INPS contributions.

Serrano Sep 13th 2019 5:48 pm

Replying to C.2s's post (#9) it is fair comment that things can vary from one Comune to another. But much, much less than they used to, and another factor muddying the waters is that the rules change every so often - which means for example that what I experienced (no need for any proof of wealth/income, immediate entry into the health system etc) is not because of any local variations but because it was more than a decade ago when the rules were different.

The OP should expect to asked for 'proof' of wealth/earnings (which may well be nothing more that signing a declaration with no need for supporting documentation) and also to be denied entry to the health system for 5 years unless he/she is working (self-employment counts, but will almost certainly be accompanied by the need to pay INPS - i.e. 'Italian NI' - contributions - which if there are no earnings would likely be more expensive than private health insurance). Worth mentioning that a few regions do still (I believe) allow new residents to buy into the health system, but which regions it is I don't know. I am, however, pretty sure that Umbria is not one of them.

In all this, it is possible that the OP will find things different with their local authority - but very doubtful indeed.

C.2s Sep 13th 2019 9:22 pm

But as I totally expect to pay italian taxes, including INPS, it never occurred to me think that I could avoid paying taxes by purchasing private health insurance...

Is that actually a possibility?

Even if it were, I'd say that morally I think it is better to pay the taxes in the country in which you have chosen to live and contribute to the society you are living in...if you don't like the taxes then maybe don't choose to live here?