Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Technical Texts for translation

Technical Texts for translation

Old Jul 12th 2012, 7:56 am
BE Enthusiast

pugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the rough
Default Technical Texts for translation

Haven't been on here for a while because I tried really hard to get a job at Nardò track now that Porsche has bought it, but unfortunately things didn't work out So now it is back to teaching and I am doing an intensive course for engineers. My problem is that I have only ever taught beginners or given repitition lessons but these engineers speak quite good English and want to learn "technical" English. Any ideas where I could get some material? Most grateful for any help.

P.S. it was 42°C here yesterday!
Old Jul 12th 2012, 8:16 am
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Technical Texts for translation

Found this comment on the web for you:

One book which seems to be widely used is:

- English for Electrical and Mechanical Engineering by Eric H. Glendinning and Norman Glendinning (ISBN 0 19 457392 3) Answer book with teaching notes (ISBN 0 19 457393 1) - Oxford University Press.
The level is intermediate. It is good for improving students’ reading, writing, speaking and understanding skills. Strengths of the book are that it uses grammar to help students explain technical processes and that it is definitely relevant for those in the engineering fields. Weaknesses include a lack of interesting variety of activities and exercises.

My other thought is to you could try asking the British Council as that sort of thing may be in their remit.

try: http://www.britishcouncil.org/

PS I am an engineering graduate (albeit only allowed to shuffle paper and send emails these days) so if you have any particular questions on technical lingo I am more than happy to help
Old Jul 15th 2012, 9:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

pugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike
Found this comment on the web for you:

One book which seems to be widely used is:

- English for Electrical and Mechanical Engineering by Eric H. Glendinning and Norman Glendinning (ISBN 0 19 457392 3) Answer book with teaching notes (ISBN 0 19 457393 1) - Oxford University Press.
The level is intermediate. It is good for improving students’ reading, writing, speaking and understanding skills. Strengths of the book are that it uses grammar to help students explain technical processes and that it is definitely relevant for those in the engineering fields. Weaknesses include a lack of interesting variety of activities and exercises.

My other thought is to you could try asking the British Council as that sort of thing may be in their remit.

try: http://www.britishcouncil.org/

PS I am an engineering graduate (albeit only allowed to shuffle paper and send emails these days) so if you have any particular questions on technical lingo I am more than happy to help
Thanks for your reply Mike but I can't find it on the OUP website either by author or ISBN number, nor on Amazon. How could I have a look at it to see if it is suitable?
Old Jul 16th 2012, 6:34 am
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure how to preview it online but some are for sale here pretty cheaply. It is used on the engineering english courses at King Saud University according to the web so may be suitable.

http://www.abebooks.com/978019457392...0194573923/plp
Old Jul 16th 2012, 7:40 am
Member Of The Family

Engliano is just really niceEngliano is just really niceEngliano is just really niceEngliano is just really niceEngliano is just really niceEngliano is just really niceEngliano is just really niceEngliano is just really niceEngliano is just really nice

seems like theres a few Engineers on here so I'm sure between us we can translate what you need.
Old Jul 16th 2012, 12:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Not sure how to preview it online but some are for sale here pretty cheaply. It is used on the engineering english courses at King Saud University according to the web so may be suitable.

http://www.abebooks.com/978019457392...0194573923/plp
Thanks Mike, I will tell them about this book and they can decide if they want to buy it. They are however enviromental engineers and civil engineers. One question I would have is how do you say Ingegnere Gestionale in English - nobody seemed to know!
Old Jul 16th 2012, 12:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Engliano
seems like theres a few Engineers on here so I'm sure between us we can translate what you need.
Hi Engliano, pleased to meet you. I don't need any translations just technical texts for them to translate (see my first mail).

Regards Cheryl
Old Jul 16th 2012, 12:30 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pugliese
Hi Engliano, pleased to meet you. I don't need any translations just technical texts for them to translate (see my first mail).

Regards Cheryl
Do you want me to scan some pages of instruction manuals?
Old Jul 16th 2012, 12:37 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Originally Posted by pugliese
Thanks Mike, I will tell them about this book and they can decide if they want to buy it. They are however enviromental engineers and civil engineers. One question I would have is how do you say Ingegnere Gestionale in English - nobody seemed to know!
I would go for something like Engineering Project Manager
Old Jul 16th 2012, 12:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Do you want me to scan some pages of instruction manuals?
Hi Lorna,

no thanks, my dear, got enough of those myself! I am looking for something like the following:

http://www.englishpage.com/vocabular...elesson13.html

but with an engineering text. They liked the above tutorial with new vocabulary for them i.e. meaning of "to foster" and using it in phrases. Of course one smart Alec liked drinking Foster's beer with Jodie Foster etc. so we all had a laugh,but I got my own back because they had a hard time working out what "foster parents" were!

I just wondered if there was something for engineering, preferably cess pits, etc!
Old Jul 16th 2012, 12:56 pm
Member Of The Family

Engliano is just really niceEngliano is just really niceEngliano is just really niceEngliano is just really niceEngliano is just really niceEngliano is just really niceEngliano is just really niceEngliano is just really niceEngliano is just really nice

I would go for something like Engineering Project Manager
And seconded !
Old Jul 16th 2012, 1:31 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

http://edition.tefl.net/reviews/esp-...e-engineering/
Old Jul 16th 2012, 1:32 pm

http://quizlet.com/105253/engineerin...b-flash-cards/
Old Jul 16th 2012, 1:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

HADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
vocab
http://elt.oup.com/student/oefc/tech...selLanguage=it

resources
http://www.cambridge.org/gb/elt/cata...jectID=2561588
Old Jul 17th 2012, 10:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks very much for all your replies and needless to say it's all very suitable material for my lessons. You're a great bunch. The Cambridge English for Engineering downloads are just what I wanted because it is exactly what I was looking for and that way they can decide at a later date if and when what book they buy - seems a toss up between Oxford and Cambridge!

Anyone coming down this way on holiday this year?