Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Car buying(non-resident)

Car buying(non-resident)

Old Apr 4th 2014, 9:38 am
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold
Default Car buying(non-resident)

Is it possible for a non-resident to buy a used car in Italy? I live in Portugal and cars are a fortune, idea is to export a car to Portugal(I am not a dealer).

I have read conflicting stuff, its an early stage and if its doable I will need to know far more information but no point trying to find out until I know this 1st basic piece of information.

Any advice would be
Old Apr 4th 2014, 10:51 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car buying(non-resident)

no
Old Apr 4th 2014, 1:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

pugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by modicasa
no
That certainly was a KISS reply
Old Apr 4th 2014, 2:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

highlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gedscottish
Is it possible for a non-resident to buy a used car in Italy? I live in Portugal and cars are a fortune, idea is to export a car to Portugal(I am not a dealer).

I have read conflicting stuff, its an early stage and if its doable I will need to know far more information but no point trying to find out until I know this 1st basic piece of information.

Any advice would be

Maybe you could buy a UK left hand drive car, but no idea how to register one in Portugal. There are a couple dealers specializing in that.
Old Apr 4th 2014, 2:58 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gedscottish

Any advice would be
Don't know why peolpe think it's not possible. Because it is as long as you intend to export it. I'll have a search for info if you like, but it would be in Italian. I think someone on here did it some time last year. Try searching the Italian forum.

Last edited by 37100; Apr 4th 2014 at 3:01 pm.
Old Apr 4th 2014, 3:39 pm
Forum Regular

mikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond repute

cars in Italy tend to be very expensive, I do think as suggested a UK one be much cheaper and easier
Old Apr 4th 2014, 4:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

highlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikethomo
cars in Italy tend to be very expensive, I do think as suggested a UK one be much cheaper and easier
Hear, hear !
Old Apr 4th 2014, 4:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

The question was whether a non resident can buy a car. the answer is that to buy a car you must be a resident. if you buy to export you obviously cannot drive it in Italy which rather defeats the point. The options id to buy outside Italy and import, or get residence or buy a new car which can circumvent the rules if you are lucky.
Old Apr 4th 2014, 4:26 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by modicasa
The question was whether a non resident can buy a car. the answer is that to buy a car you must be a resident. if you buy to export you obviously cannot drive it in Italy which rather defeats the point. The options id to buy outside Italy and import, or get residence or buy a new car which can circumvent the rules if you are lucky.
Isn't the question whether a non-resident can buy a car (new or not) in Italy for export to Portugal? Yes, you can. It takes a bit more paper work i.e. the cancellation at the PRA and handing over the number plates, but a dealer should be able to help. Of course,you can't just jump in it and drive it off. You need to either transport it or sort out Portuguese plates. Would I attempt it to save a little bit of money? No, probably not.
Old Apr 4th 2014, 4:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 37100
Isn't the question whether a non-resident can buy a car (new or not) in Italy for export to Portugal? Yes, you can. It takes a bit more paper work i.e. the cancellation at the PRA and handing over the number plates, but a dealer should be able to help. Of course,you can't just jump in it and drive it off. You need to either transport it or sort out Portuguese plates. Would I attempt it to save a little bit of money? No, probably not.
I think if Jedscottish was to by in the UK, with very little formality and at little (or no ? ) cost take the vehicle to Portugal and do the paperwork there.
Old Apr 4th 2014, 4:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sorr yis Ged no Jed.
Old Apr 4th 2014, 8:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

linseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by highlander1
Sorr yis Ged no Jed.
and I thought I was the only dyslexic in the vi;llage
Old Apr 4th 2014, 11:06 pm
Banned

6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute

Surely the real question is why are you posting this in the Italy section?
Old Apr 4th 2014, 11:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by highlander1
Maybe you could buy a UK left hand drive car, but no idea how to register one in Portugal. There are a couple dealers specializing in that.
Really not worth it, they are asking 20-30% more than equivalent Rhd vehicles.
Old Apr 4th 2014, 11:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by 37100
Don't know why peolpe think it's not possible. Because it is as long as you intend to export it. I'll have a search for info if you like, but it would be in Italian. I think someone on here did it some time last year. Try searching the Italian forum.

That would be fantastic, it don't speak Italian but my Portuguese gives me the basics in Italian. I will give it a search...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.