Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

TALK THE TALK. ITALIAN LANGUAGE QUESTIONS.

TALK THE TALK. ITALIAN LANGUAGE QUESTIONS.

Old Feb 26th 2014, 2:48 pm
Forum Regular

Ugo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TALK THE TALK. ITALIAN LANGUAGE QUESTIONS.

Got it.

Yes, I would definitely go with the 2nd option then.

I'm no Japanese but the 3rd otion might be read like "we had resources before but we don't have them now" (with a hint of "we have no resources for this project")
Old Feb 26th 2014, 2:55 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

cheers Ugo - good point hadn't thought of that

Originally Posted by Ugo51
Got it.

Yes, I would definitely go with the 2nd option then.

I'm no Japanese but the 3rd otion might be read like "we had resources before but we don't have them now" (with a hint of "we have no resources for this project")
Old Feb 27th 2014, 10:28 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Just been on the phone to the deputy headmistress. I know I'm supposed to "give her Lei" and I know how to do it, I can use all the correct "Lei" terms, but that woman makes me feel unusally nervous so I end up starting off well and then forgetting and finishing off with something like "va bene, ti porto le carte domani. Vengo da te verso mezzogiorno."

Oh well. It could be worse. I did once apologise and said "we don't do Lei in English" and she just brushed it off and said it didn't matter.
Old Feb 27th 2014, 10:33 am
Forum Regular

Ugo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Just been on the phone to the deputy headmistress. I know I'm supposed to "give her Lei" and I know how to do it, I can use all the correct "Lei" terms, but that woman makes me feel unusally nervous so I end up starting off well and then forgetting and finishing off with something like "va bene, ti porto le carte domani. Vengo da te verso mezzogiorno."

Oh well. It could be worse. I did once apologise and said "we don't do Lei in English" and she just brushed it off and said it didn't matter.
Ah, don't you worry, no sensible person would ever take offence because of that.
Old Feb 27th 2014, 11:44 am
Just Joined

Wustenfuchs is an unknown quantity at this point

2nd option is the best, I agree with Ugo.

I am fluent in Italian, I have spoken it for more than 7 years, living in the Bel Paese
Old Feb 27th 2014, 12:51 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't worry Lorna I did exactly the same to a Senator 3 weeks ago and I am pretty sure that constitutes an even a bigger faux pas than a deputy head - fortunately he didn't seem to be too offended so you are nowhere near as brash and maleducato as me.
Old Feb 27th 2014, 12:54 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Originally Posted by Wustenfuchs
2nd option is the best, I agree with Ugo.

I am fluent in Italian, I have spoken it for more than 7 years, living in the Bel Paese
I am fluentish myself but always nice to get other intelligent opinions - thanks.

PS how would you translate:

GUANCIALE
FASCETTINO
MEZZEMANICHE
TURBANTE DI SPIGOLA
MILLEFOGLIE DI VITELLA

I get all the good jobs here........
Old Feb 27th 2014, 1:03 pm
Forum Regular

This is probably not the answer you are waiting for, but I personall would leave the name in Italian and then add an explanation of what it is.

Something like:

Guanciale (cured pork cheeks)

So they will also have the original name as a reference for when they will go to a place where the dishes name are not translated, or translated differently...
Old Feb 27th 2014, 1:13 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Originally Posted by Ugo51
This is probably not the answer you are waiting for, but I personall would leave the name in Italian and then add an explanation of what it is.

Something like:

Guanciale (cured pork cheeks)

So they will also have the original name as a reference for when they will go to a place where the dishes name are not translated, or translated differently...
Funnily enough Ugo that is exactly what I have done. "cured spiced pork etc etc
Old Feb 27th 2014, 1:16 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike
Funnily enough Ugo that is exactly what I have done. "cured spiced pork etc etc
Old Feb 27th 2014, 4:20 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike
I wouldn't worry Lorna I did exactly the same to a Senator 3 weeks ago and I am pretty sure that constitutes an even a bigger faux pas than a deputy head - fortunately he didn't seem to be too offended so you are nowhere near as brash and maleducato as me.
Cheers guys, I'm not in the slightest bit worried. That woman does have a tendency to unnerve me though lately. I just thought it might be a little topic on the diversities of "giving Lei" and if we all know how to do it but lapse, or if we can't always be bothered.
Old Feb 28th 2014, 7:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Sancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to all

Am I the only one to think "Lei" can sound more offensive than "Tu" ?

It all depends how you say it...

"Lei, Signora, ….."

Sort of thing secretaries say to put someone in their place.
Old Feb 28th 2014, 7:23 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Sancho
Am I the only one to think "Lei" can sound more offensive than "Tu" ?

It all depends how you say it...

"Lei, Signora, ….."

Sort of thing secretaries say to put someone in their place.
The only way "lei" can sound "offensive" is if it's used to address a person that's slightly older than you, but still clearly young.

But this only if you're sensitive to your age...for example I don't give a toss, even if you use "voi"
Old Feb 28th 2014, 7:29 am
BE Forum Addict

ononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose it all depends on the tone. Personally, I don't find 'Lei' offensive if used properly,
Here in the South, on the other hand, 'Voi' can often be used in an offensive way; especially by the types that like talking down to you; such as police officers, municipio staff, Equitalia staff etc. - you get the picture.
I find it quite quaint, and am unable to stop it, being addressed as 'Voi' by nephews, nieces, grandchildren. I know in this case it's a mark of respect, but I do wish they would use 'tu'. I keep telling them, but it falls on deaf ears.
by by dicette l'inglese
Old Feb 28th 2014, 7:33 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ononno
I suppose it all depends on the tone. Personally, I don't find 'Lei' offensive if used properly,
Here in the South, on the other hand, 'Voi' can often be used in an offensive way; especially by the types that like talking down to you; such as police officers, municipio staff, Equitalia staff etc. - you get the picture.
I find it quite quaint, and am unable to stop it, being addressed as 'Voi' by nephews, nieces, grandchildren. I know in this case it's a mark of respect, but I do wish they would use 'tu'. I keep telling them, but it falls on deaf ears.
by by dicette l'inglese
I had no idea "voi" was still used by family members...or by anyone at all

I would imagine that might sound a bit offensive if used with a certain tone...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.